Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Enjoy some Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA from 2003!

WDBJ (Roanoke) June 13, 2003 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]260596254[/MEDIA]

WSLS (Roanoke) June 16, 2003 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]260596584[/MEDIA]

WSET (Lynchburg) June 16, 2003 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]260596521[/MEDIA]

WFXR/WJPR (Roanoke) June 12, 2003 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]260596312[/MEDIA]

More on the way...

Jim

Love this stuff! We must have been in/around Roanoke about the same time... I was visiting the city with my family in June of '03 and I'm pretty sure it was that weekend. I remember it being very rainy.

I'm confused-- was The View in primetime that night, or did they mess up the noon newscast?

TVTango says it's a The View special - "His & Her Body Test"

http://www.tvtango.com/listings/2003/06/16

• Like 1

Here's a weird one. I found a newscast opening from Dayton TV station WLWD (Now WDTN) and the opening is the same look that the Capital Cities TV stations used at the time. CapCities never even owned the station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=GRjyySFO2V4;t=691

That set... Its so... ORANGE!

Also glad to have you back Jim! Excited to see what rare goodies you have up your archive sleeves...

• Like 3

Here's a weird one. I found a newscast opening from Dayton TV station WLWD (Now WDTN) and the opening is the same look that the Capital Cities TV stations used at the time. CapCities never even owned the station.

I seem to recall that the then KCMO-TV (now KCTV) also used that open in the mid 70's.

Here you go! (In no particular order) - Between work keeping me busy and a couple of weeks without internet at home (I'm looking at you Comcast)...

KABC (Los Angeles) Nov. 2, 1998 4:30pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]249609058[/MEDIA]

KCBS (Los Angeles) December 28, 1998 5:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]249612642[/MEDIA]

KTBC (Austin) Feb. 8, 1999 5:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]249610034[/MEDIA]

WLIO (Lima) Nov. 19, 2001 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]249609715[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 2

Plus...

WRC (Washington, DC) Dec. 6, 2001 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]249608772[/MEDIA]

WRC (Washington) Feb. 25, 2002 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]249608423[/MEDIA]

KGO (San Francisco) Feb. 2, 1999 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]249608137[/MEDIA]

CBKST (Saskatoon) April 26, 1995 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]249607533[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 6

Sheryl Previll later went by "Sheryl Browne" in Cleveland and Tampa

Looks like a young Don Postles worked at WLWD

• Like 1

1984 from then CBS affiliate WAGA/Atlanta 1984 Solar Eclipse w/ Paul Shields, Jacque Maddox, Jim Axel and Ken Cook

1996 KATU/Portland husband wife John Marler & Cathy Marshall & young Rob Marciano(Now at ABC)

1981 WEAU/Eau Claire debut of 5pm news

1997 WEAU/Eau Claire new set

• Like 3

1970 KHJ (KCAL) sign-off.

Darn, I was about to post that! I did the research on Newspapers.com and that clip was recorded on August 13, 1972 (the sign off was at 12:45am of August 14, and the movie airing was the 1931 Edward G. Robinson film Little Caeser)

Here's an 8:25 GMA cutin from KVIA from September 17, 1992:

• Like 1

These graphics look so incredibly Media General but Wikipedia says they were owned by Cordillera at the time. Even the “6” looks exactly like WTVQ’s old logo.

Wow. The weather graphics are exactly the same.

Funny they tried to be like WTVQ... Doubt they are copying channel 36 these days. Can someone buy Morris?

tvq.thumb.jpg.34268bdac97be9d4800c8dac8eed7bb6.jpg

An hour of WMAR's Channel 2 News in 1989:

Gee, how many VO’s was Channel 2 using at the time? You got Roger Thompson dubbing over the open, Dude Walker providing the station’s commercial breaks, and Ed O’Brien on the news promos. They should’ve just kept Dude Walker!

• Like 1

Gee, how many VO’s was Channel 2 using at the time? You got Roger Thompson dubbing over the open, Dude Walker providing the station’s commercial breaks, and Ed O’Brien on the news promos. They should’ve just kept Dude Walker!

Not to mention Charlie Van Dyke also did a round of VOs around this time. The open VO progression goes like this over 10 years:

(both 1985 theme and early NS2001)

Thompson (up to the 1993 switch from NS2001 to the custom "Friends You Can Turn To" theme music)

Clausen (after the affiliation switch)

• Like 1

From the land of rarities, here's one: a promo for WTHR's 10pm early prime newscast:

We already had an open:

Here's a bit more about the end of this experiment:

[After low?] ratings and network and financial pressure, WTHR (Channel 13) will end Its four-month-old experiment with an earlier prime-time schedule on Sept. 16, roughly when NBC's fall shows begin premiering. WTHR General Manager Michael Corken refused to call the experiment a failure, even though carrying such hit shows as The Cosby Show and Cheers an hour earlier generally halved their ratings. Channel 13 wanted to try a 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. prime-time to boost ratings of their late newscast and serve what Corken perceived as an early-to-bed lifestyle among viewers. "I think we proved the viability of a 10 o'clock news," Corken said Tuesday afternoon, while announcing the switch back. "There's no doubt about It. We also proved that you could let the Tonight Show stand an hour and a half away from prime, which was a concern of NBC's." The Tonight Show's ratings were unaffected by Channel 13's earlier prime.

Performed as expected

John Damiano, NBC's senior vice president of affiliate relations, said the Channel 13 experiment contained "no surprises" for the network. He expects the same results when NBC, due to pressure from its West Coast affiliates, allows Sacramento's KCRA-TV to begin experimenting with an earlier prime the same day WTHR returns to the later prime. (KCRA, however, is seeking a waiver from the Federal Communications Commission to run the Tonight Show at 10:35 p.m.) "You can basically predict the network Is going to take a hit from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. and the local station's 10 p.m. news is going to do well," Damiano said during an Interview at Channel 13. "The real question Is how you reacquire that audience at 7 p.m. that you've been getting at 8." Channel 13 lost money on the earlier prime experiment, but how much was not readily apparent. Compared to last year at this time, advertising revenues are down for most stations in the market because of the recession and other factors. "I'd guess-estimate Channel 13's gross revenue was off maybe five percent because of this experiment," said a competitor. "That'd be in the neighborhood of $350,000 to $400,000."

A balancing act

But WTHR National Sales Manager Terrell Weiss said that while ad revenues slumped proportionately to a 20 to 25 percent drop In viewership for early prime (7 p.m. to 8 p.m.), compared to last July, revenues from the late news rose 20 percent. That's because Channel 13 was able to charge more for Increased viewership and gained about 25 more commercial spots to sell daily when the late news expanded to an hour. "Yes, our revenues were down, but probably less than five percent." Weiss said. A local media buyer said the Sept. 16 timing of the return to a later prime-time Is good because "they'll avoid confusing viewers any more than they already have" when fall shows begin to premiere. At least three new NBC series — the comedies Nurses, James Garner's Man of the People and Robert Guillaume's Pacific Station — will have premiered in the earlier time slots before the station switches back.

• Like 4

WAGA Eyewitness News at 5 - Jim Axel's final newscasts. This one's for you Jim, and Godspeed.

That was quick. I just saw this on my feed and was about to post it here.

Did find a 2003 promo WBNS aired for a CBS Town Hall special on domestic violence hosted by Dan Rather

• Like 4