Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Don't think this goodie from WPLG has been posted yet-1986 open with the unknown theme:

This needs to be in a permanent archive! A perfect Ernie Anderson voiceover:

Take a look at this slogan-does the unknown theme having something to do with "We're with You"-an ABC tie-in maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=XUY7XXsXEnY;t=10

• Like 2

I’m back with more Albany stuff!

Never knew Mr. WGN himself did promo work for WNYT...

He seemed to be a secondary voice to Ed Hopkins throughout the 90s. I seem to recall him on a few more promos.

A bonus: The Upstate Ford Dealers ad at 1:02 is voiced by longtime WRGB anchor Ernie Tetrault.

Plus this 1991 report is currently the ONLY surviving footage of their “News 13” era on YouTube after the 1988 house fire video got taken down (and speaking of WGN, Randy Salerno!!!)

I've watched this video several times and I always thought it was Brandon Brooks, currently of KYW radio. Both were there around the same timeframe and seemed a bit similar in terms of presentation and looks. That said, WTAJ in 1986 with the aforementioned Brandon Brooks, at 1:25 teasing some high school basketball highlights some guy named Rodger Wyland would have.

What I would give for a pre-summer 1986 WTAJ weekend newscast to surface. Not only did Wyland do sports at that time but their weekend anchor was another name familiar to Albany viewers: Phil Bayly.

• Like 2

There's also a 1998 KIVI blooper reel which features the floor director dancing to the Counterpoint close cut!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=bYCRR8ZXxOc;t=747

These graphics look so incredibly Media General but Wikipedia says they were owned by Cordillera at the time. Even the “6” looks exactly like WTVQ’s old logo.

• Like 1

These graphics look so incredibly Media General but Wikipedia says they were owned by Cordillera at the time. Even the “6” looks exactly like WTVQ’s old logo.

Your eyes aren't deceiving you...KIVI had

of the MG look of the time.
  • Like 5

Chuck Conners!

He must’ve been short-lived, as by the summer of 1992 Danny Dark began doing the open VO’s.

Also why is Jim Tilmon doing 10PM weather and not John Coleman? Maybe he replaced him for a short time before Brant Miller took over, but I’m no Chicago news geek.

And what job did Brandon Brooks have at WNYT for how long? I’d assume he was a reporter.

• Like 1

also why is Jim Tilmon doing 10PM weather and not John Coleman? Maybe he replaced him for a short time before Brant Miller took over, but I’m no Chicago news geek.

Coleman left in 1990. Room in was the most frequent lead weatherman through the 90's, but was demoted a couple times, including when they picked up Andy Avalos after he left WLS. Brant really wasn't elevated til late in the decade. The weather team saw a lot of instability after Coleman left, much like how the sports department was directionless for 10-20 years after Giangreco jumped ship.

Coleman left in 1990. Room in was the most frequent lead weatherman through the 90's, but was demoted a couple times, including when they picked up Andy Avalos after he left WLS. Brant really wasn't elevated til late in the decade. The weather team saw a lot of instability after Coleman left, much like how the sports department was directionless for 10-20 years after Giangreco jumped ship.

Interesting....

Vintage Raleigh, NC clips

• Like 6

And what job did Brandon Brooks have at WNYT for how long? I’d assume he was a reporter.

Morning and noon anchor from September 1990 to May 1993, this Schenectady Gazette blurb on his departure will give some insight. His departure cleared the way for John Gray to take the anchor desk in mornings and for Benita Zahn to return to it at noon.

In the spirit of this thread, a Live at Noon segment from November 4, 1991 with Brandon Brooks and assorted reptiles and one of the few cases of footage of their secondary set of the period.

• Like 1

Dont forget, WMBD also used the MG graphics at the time and they were also never owned by them. Maybe the creator syndicated to certain stations for the right asking price.

Dont forget, WMBD also used the MG graphics at the time and they were also never owned by them. Maybe the creator syndicated to certain stations for the right asking price.

WMBD's look was as much of a knockoff as KIVI's - albeit a better one.

KGO Nov 2002

Last days of Ahern's WLS style set which lasted a good 4 years or so.

They went to this set next that lasted in some form until 2016 - had a nice rear projection skyline view. That got nixed for a live feed a few years later.

• Like 3

Couple of KBMT promos

The singer solo on the front part sounds like Wayne Nelson of Tuesday Productions to me. This must have been some sort of TV sales revenue generating campaign. Years ago, I saw a "Buy the Pinebelt First" spot for WDAM in Hattiesburg, MS with full vocals, so I'm guessing this campaign made its rounds during the late 80's and into the mid 90's across many smaller to mid-size markets. I remember that same logo/animation layout, so this was perhaps, a turn-key deal that involved music, animation and related material for a set price.

KBTX had the same promo: Buy the Brazos Valley First - same graphics (save the logo/tagline), and music. It looks like it was a package created and marketed to regional stations to encourage people to shop locally, vs. driving to Houston (or other large city) to do their shopping.

All I know is that the quality of shopping available in Bryan/College Station improved significantly in the late 80s while I was at Texas A&M

• Like 4

Enjoy some Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA from 2003!

WDBJ (Roanoke) June 13, 2003 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]260596254[/MEDIA]

WSLS (Roanoke) June 16, 2003 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]260596584[/MEDIA]

WSET (Lynchburg) June 16, 2003 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]260596521[/MEDIA]

WFXR/WJPR (Roanoke) June 12, 2003 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]260596312[/MEDIA]

More on the way...

Jim

• Like 5

Enjoy some Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA from 2003!

WDBJ (Roanoke) June 13, 2003 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]260596254[/MEDIA]

WSLS (Roanoke) June 16, 2003 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]260596584[/MEDIA]

WSET (Lynchburg) June 16, 2003 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]260596521[/MEDIA]

WFXR/WJPR (Roanoke) June 12, 2003 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]260596312[/MEDIA]

More on the way...

Jim

I thought you'd never come back! What took so long!

• Like 2