Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, also from the FuzzyMemories channel; an almost-complete NBC News Special Report (interrupting the network television premiere of the 1976 King Kong movie) where President Carter, Egyptian President Anwar el-Sadat and Israeli prime minister Menachem Begin returned from Camp David following the successful peace negotiations between Egypt and Israel.

• Like 3

With WNYT's vintage set finally meeting its end, some vintage WNYT. On May 31, 1998, a series of tornadoes hit the suburban town of Stillwater and an archival tape of news coverage made by the town in its wake made its way to YouTube. Most of this is WNYT though there are bits and pieces of WRGB and WXXA strewn about.

If you're looking for peak WNYT, this video has it: Ed Dague being Ed Dague. John Gray before his ego got the best of him. Chris Kapostasy weeks before her departure for NBC News. A very young Kumi Tucker and a treat for the Hampton Roads crowd: pre-meteorologist Julie Wilcox before Hubbard screwed her over. Enjoy!

• Like 2

[MEDIA=vimeo]247424634[/MEDIA]

I have to give it to compubit on this find.

A custom KTRK close in 95

Shern Min and Larry Audas still at KPRC with the V1 Hometown News look in 1995

Fran and Mike on the evening news of KRIV

Plus the last little bit with Bill and Jan Carson (shocked she was still at the station in 1995) for the Rodeo with another custom cut of Hometown News

Plus on this one:

[MEDIA=vimeo]249612960[/MEDIA]

KPRC noon newscast anchored by Emily Akin, who was the stations consumer reporter. I think this is one of if not the only times she anchored a newscast

• Like 1

This is about the fifth set I've seen that has the girders, the monitor banks, the rounded desk, etc. The most infamous one would be KNXV's "spaceship" set, and I've seen similar ones in use at WGNX (during the late indie/early CBS era), WOIO/WUAB (during the "Cleveland Television News" period), and maybe a couple others. Does anybody know who designed all these sets?
WISN TV also

New from Radioman:

October 1990: The Briarcliff Mansion (otherwise known as WAGA) puts on a new news set for Eyewitness News. While the opening was clipped, everything to the close - in all its early 90’s sluttiness - is there.

New Years Eve 1993: The last of John Pruitt on 11Alive (it was that weird period when the Alive was out). Note he didn’t say retirement - he said resignation. The exact phrase: “The day will come when

”.

Edited by MikePulse
  • Like 4

New from Radioman:

October 1990: The Briarcliff Mansion (otherwise known as WAGA) puts on a new news set for Eyewitness News. While the opening was clipped, everything to the close - in all its early 90’s sluttiness - is there.

New Years Eve 1993: The last of John Pruitt on 11Alive (it was that weird period when the Alive was out). Note he didn’t say retirement - he said resignation. The exact phrase: “The day will come when

”.

This must be where this open comes in...

WAGA was one of many TV stations out there that would use new opens for each year - the period from 1977 to 1981 had several different ones!

• Like 3

A Halloween impersonation prank from WNYT, 2001. This gives a rare glimpse into their former secondary set, eventually disused in 2004 but with the backdrop recycled for their temporary set currently in use. This video began a tradition of goofy Halloween closes at the station which continues to this day

• Like 2

A video that used to be on ClipSyndicate until sometime last year. It’s about WNYT’s 50th anniversary. I thought I would post it here given the occasion of the set being replaced.

And here’s another one, featuring Bill Lambdin as the reporter. He retired in August 2014.

• Like 3

A video that used to be on ClipSyndicate until sometime last year. It’s about WNYT’s 50th anniversary. I thought I would post it here given the occasion of the set being replaced.

And here’s another one, featuring Bill Lambdin as the reporter. He retired in August 2014.

Both of these have lingered on the Internet Archive for some time as back in the day WNYT's video was downloadable in .WMV format.

The 50th Anniversary was treated as a bigger deal by the morning crew as I remember Phil & Paul having Wayne White (the engineer in said video, who stayed until a year short of his 2015 death) live in studio and at least one other old clip being played.

That lost dog story seems to be superfluous on the surface but anyone familiar with the area knows it was a big deal. John Nigro, the pet parent in question, is a major developer of retail properties in upstate New York and while anyone with the means would do that it seemed a little over the top. Also, the graphics blatantly showed that WNYT produced said ad.

• Like 2

WNBC-TV wraps up it's broadcast day for late Friday August 31, 1979 with a slides only report of news read by Bill Rippey, an Editorial Reply, a Sermonette on life, lots of PSAs, and Arthur Gary with the sign-off message. A great clip!

• Like 1

From 1992, a preview of local news operations from the London News Network, a joint-venture between Carlton and London Weekend Television established in the wake of the ITV franchise changes (and Thames' loss of license):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMVUfGZbGs

A look behind the scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDfuUjkhLmo

• Like 2