Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Did that challenge last long?

Not really. They tried an hour long 6 o'clock format from '86-'87 that apparently didn't perform well. Also by '88, WXFL had revamped their news team and in '89, WTSP suffered a computer hacking scandal.

Still, the station had come a long way from it's WLCY days, when it had a terrible news reputation.

• Like 3

The singer solo on the front part sounds like Wayne Nelson of Tuesday Productions to me. This must have been some sort of TV sales revenue generating campaign. Years ago, I saw a "Buy the Pinebelt First" spot for WDAM in Hattiesburg, MS with full vocals, so I'm guessing this campaign made its rounds during the late 80's and into the mid 90's across many smaller to mid-size markets. I remember that same logo/animation layout, so this was perhaps, a turn-key deal that involved music, animation and related material for a set price.

It's in a landfill now, but around that time KSPR had a flexi disc insert in the Springfield News-Leader. I think its main push was their "Spirit of NewsTeam 33" image campaign. But, if I remember correctly, it also explained what the "Buy the Ozarks First" campaign was about. The things I wish I had held on to...

• Like 5

WLAJ News Express 2001.

Somehow spelling and pronouncing "Pagliarulo" was too hard for Lansing people.

"Parker" would use his actual last name when he would be elevated from Freedom's afterthought to Freedom's golden child (WRGB) the next year. Then came his turn into radio as "Joe Pags"...

• Like 1

In honor of M*A*S*H 35th anniversary of the three hour series finale, WLS-TV went behind the scenes of the final filming. And IMO, this was one of

favorite shows in the history of television, and the series finale of M*A*S*H will go down as one of the highest rated dramedy in TV history, and I'm

glad that MeTV airs M*A*S*H at 7PM Eastern/6PM Central.

Goodbye... Farewell... And Amen.

• Like 1

In honor of M*A*S*H 35th anniversary of the three hour series finale, WLS-TV went behind the scenes of the final filming. And IMO, this was one of

favorite shows in the history of television, and the series finale of M*A*S*H will go down as one of the highest rated dramedy in TV history, and I'm

glad that MeTV airs M*A*S*H at 7PM Eastern/6PM Central.

Goodbye... Farewell... And Amen.

It was a great report. It's strange it was shot on film: by 1983 videotape was being used massively by TV stations.

• Like 6