Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

The announcer on that Cronkite spot, as well as the WPXI/WILX/KCPQ opens, was Bob Perry. He also did some voiceovers for WNOL (New Orleans) during their pre-Fox/CW days.

I suspect Mr. Perry was based in Cleveland. I recall hearing his voice on a spot on the then 3WE radio (now WTAM) for the Cleveland Symphony (at Severance Hall). The WILX link to him makes sense, because at that time the station was owned by Cleveland-based conglomerate ATO, which morphed into Figgie Communications. I believe there is (or was) a promo for Dayton's WHIO-TV's Newscenter 7 that used Mr. Perry's talents.

• Like 2

Couple of KBMT promos

Great find! I had been looking for something else that proved they used "It's All Right Here" during this period for some time.

I'd guess this is maybe 1988 or 89? I have some KJAC content from late 1987 and Bob Becker (seen at 0:35 in the clip) was the weather personality present. He may have jumped soon after, as did Albert Zipp who was still at KFDM based on a December 1987 newscast I've uploaded before.

Only other thing out there featuring it's use is a 1989 commercial compilation with a promo for their morning news at about 5:15 that I updated in the past.

More of that CFN stuff... This is a good piece because it shows how CFN was operated (a smaller operation than AFN or BFBS, which we've seen before). It was the final Canadian-produced program before yielding to AFN as Canadian Forces Europe wound down.

It is from 1994, not 1992. It discusses briefly how the loss of the Olympus-1 satellite caused them problems, too.

• Like 1

I suspect Mr. Perry was based in Cleveland. I recall hearing his voice on a spot on the then 3WE radio (now WTAM) for the Cleveland Symphony (at Severance Hall). The WILX link to him makes sense, because at that time the station was owned by Cleveland-based conglomerate ATO, which morphed into Figgie Communications. I believe there is (or was) a promo for Dayton's WHIO-TV's Newscenter 7 that used Mr. Perry's talents.

He was based in Cleveland, according to information WNOL provided to a viewer letter in the Times-Picayune's TV section about one of their movie spots. He also did a lot of work for Showtime and HBO, much of which you can see on YouTube.

• Like 8

He was based in Cleveland, according to information WNOL provided to a viewer letter in the Times-Picayune's TV section about one of their movie spots. He also did a lot of work for Showtime and HBO, much of which you can see on YouTube.

And Cox Enterprises...

I’m sure he did material for KTVU at one point or another, too.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=64JmPFJd_pY;t=2386

There was another in that series, too, I believe.

A close to WAVE TV News in 1987:

Kentuckiana weather got so bad that summer that WLKY was knocked off the air at one point:

It took them until next morning to get full power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=DA2i8qPXlv8;t=122

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=2VPUVoxj_RM;t=88

• Like 2

A rarity: Canal 5 Rosario's "magic cube" midday news opener from May 1994. The opener was commisioned by Telefe in Buenos Aires.

(Canal 5 was one of Telefe's affiliates and became and O&O station in 2001)

Very evident the attempt to tie in with the network news theme and the network logo, too.

• Like 2

KSPR in Springfield, Missouri had a "Buy the Ozarks First" campaign back in the late 80's. The music used here sure sounds familiar. Until now, I had always thought that this was strictly a KSPR campaign.

The singer solo on the front part sounds like Wayne Nelson of Tuesday Productions to me. This must have been some sort of TV sales revenue generating campaign. Years ago, I saw a "Buy the Pinebelt First" spot for WDAM in Hattiesburg, MS with full vocals, so I'm guessing this campaign made its rounds during the late 80's and into the mid 90's across many smaller to mid-size markets. I remember that same logo/animation layout, so this was perhaps, a turn-key deal that involved music, animation and related material for a set price.

• Like 1