Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

It's Cleveland's Own NewsCenter8 at Noon from inauguration day 1993:

Channel 30 in Atlanta back when it was still WETV:

The 40th anniversary of KCBS from 1988:

A promo with KDFW's version of We've Got The Touch '85:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=izmfsHwFp54;m=58;s=18

HTV, a local cable channel in Houma, brings you their coverage of Hurricane Andrew:

• Like 2

KTVB looks very primitive for ‘95 - and for their owner, too, which by that point was the Providence Journal Company. Journal acquired KTVB’s original owner King Broadcasting in 1992 (note they still have King Broadcasting in the copyright notice at the end.)

Going back on the VO guy, as I said earlier he and WTEN’s Doug Myers sound awfully similar. I’ve also searched up “Iowa voiceover” and nothing’s come up either...

KTVB later went with Jcbd graphics later in the ‘90s which I believe were a hand-me-down from WYFF.

After being sacked in the "Black Monday" purge when Young took over WTEN from Knight Ridder, Doug Myers began a long career as spokesperson for Albany International Airport which he holds to this day.

Somewhere on YouTube there is a 2015 video from WRGB of him remembering former colleague/fellow purge victim Ed O'Brien.

• Like 2

KTVB looks very primitive for ‘95 - and for their owner, too, which by that point was the Providence Journal Company. Journal acquired KTVB’s original owner King Broadcasting in 1992 (note they still have King Broadcasting in the copyright notice at the end.)

Going back on the VO guy, as I said earlier he and WTEN’s Doug Myers sound awfully similar. I’ve also searched up “Iowa voiceover” and nothing’s come up either...

KTVB later went with Jcbd graphics later in the ‘90s which I believe were a hand-me-down from WYFF.

And see, I totally disagree in re: Doug Myers. Not a match at all.

The open probably dates to 1992 at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=NGbUnSxm2tQ;t=95

The same channel with the WPBN/WTOM and WWTV/WWUP footage has this WGTU rarity...a news cut-in from May 15, 1996. Evidently it was a partnership with the newspaper. This would have aired during GMA. WGTU did not have a full local news service, so this was among the only local news output on the station along with some sort of 11pm update:

Those clips, and some of the short 2000s stuff, really make it clear how much ownership neglected 7&4 (they finally got the Sinclair pack this year — Sinclair is probably the best owner these stations have had in a long time).

• Like 4

McKinnon quality folks.

Never ceases to amaze me when I'm beaten in linking to things I actually uploaded... heh. I was actually uploading a 5 PM newscast from the same day that has a formal open, but it's not much better.

What's interesting is that it was actually a deviation from the stuff KIII & KUSI were using during the period. All three began using the same general set of elements, albeit with some variations, in 2000. KUSI was the graphics hub for the trio of stations during their shared ownership. KBMT had just about all of the other basic elements but different L3s that the other two stations. KBMT actually had their graphics updated a couple of times, in 2002 or 03 (a brief glimpse of the remnants of it are visible at about 33:00 with the email address) and then again in 2006 or 07. It was tweaked about a year later but was later dropped in favor of an HD-friendly and contemporary look when the sale to London took place at the start of this decade.

KIII did have some changes along the way as well. Maybe some rejoins that were updated around 2003, new opens & talent bumpers in 06, and then not much else until the sale to London.

KIII and KUSI were still using elements from the 2000-era look until at least 2010 or so, if I'm not mistaken.

More from my archives, this time from August '03. More to come from this part of the world and time at some point - I have a few tapes from that particular trip and was using multiple VCRs at the time.

KLDO Noticias Univision 27 Edicion Nocturna

KZTV CBS 10 News at 6:00

• Like 4

Charlie Van Dyke slogs his way through a CBS 6 News tease:

WMAR in its second Tvbd era (2002-2009), using “Convergence”:

And this KETV weather promo that was posted 4 years ago is a must-see. Voiced by who we now call as “Jim Morgan”, which we need to add to the NMSA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hEiFu6H7dU

As for KETV, what’s the music track heard? To me it sounds like a Network Music or Tuesday track...