Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

If you listen closely during each of the news cut-ins in this 1994 commercial break it appears they were using Total News earlier than we thought (the drum solo in it seems to match up):

[sNIP]

As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they commissioned Total News and not WCBS.

That is indeed Total News, in fact I was just listening to the cut in the tease towards the end the other day. However, while they certainly seem to have been the first after WCBS to pick it up, I don't think they commissioned it - at least, if you go by the logo melody. It's too spot on with "W-C-B-S-T-V, Chan-nel 2 News" and too far off from KTVX's own branding at the time.

Hey Raymie I’m starting to put the KTVX puzzle pieces together. If you listen closely during each of the news cut-ins in this 1994 commercial break it appears they were using Total News earlier than we thought (the drum solo in it seems to match up):

I still need to fill in the hole from 1986 to 1994. If i can guess why they’re surprisingly lacking, it could be because they probably were the #3 station in Utah and not many people watched them, kinda like the lack of KYW footage in the early ‘80s (their worst era being #3).

Yes, that's Total. No, KTVX didn't commission it. (One or two short newspaper articles from 1993 mentioned Non-Stop making music for WCBS.)

Also, Jeremiah's channel has other stuff on it (in fact, a variety of markets are represented):

• Like 1

These two are not local news but they are worth your time.

I must admit, today I learned what "The Morning Program" was.

And this...just watch a bit of it. At least the open.

Yeah, "The Morning Program" was an utter disaster. Seriously, Bob Saget doing comedy on a morning news program? What the hell was CBS smoking? No wonder Rolland fled for WWOR (where he had to do

Universal Studios Florida's Kongfrontation, and that was actually MORE dignified!)

And.... Alex Trebek as an infomercial host? Wha...? At least he had experience for all those Colonial Penn and Hooked on Phonics infomercials he's been doing since the late 90s. And Meredith Macrae! While she was better known as a talk show host, she did do at least one game show pilot, the unsold 1985 Bob Stewart pilot $50,000 a Minute, as co-host with her Mid-Morning LA partner Geoff Edwards! (It was pitched to ABC, but they likely didn't take it because after Family Feud ended, they kinda lost interest in any daytime games, and any they did they only put in half-hearted efforts.)

• Like 1

Cool. Sticking with the WOWT clip, the uploader has more - including a WJLA 1984 newscast (must’ve been after Wes joined them, and they were about to debut the ugly red set, unless this was after). They still have the ‘83 Theme during breaks:

Yep, Jerimiah has several accounts. Remember when I posted the WPVI clips from 3/1/00 and WABC from right after 9/11? The accounts those came from (homebeerman and inspector squirrel) are also his.

• Like 1

That VTV open has some seriously impressive compositing work. Whoever made that got their money's worth out of their ADO!

(and yes, it's just as weird for me seeing Alex Trebek in a role like that...)

There's another one of these somewhere on the internet...or at least there was (same open animation). I believe it might even have been on TV-Ark somewhere (it was definitely not in great quality). So I'd known that this existed, but I hadn't seen another copy of it. The rarity is accentuated by the fact that Trebek only did this gig from January to May of 1987.

In an interview he did that fall for People, Trebek wasn't quite happy with VTV:

Not that Alex will stoop to just any kind of blarney. In January he began hosting Value Television, a syndicated home-shopping program thinly disguised as a talk show, but exited in May. Normally serious and reserved, Trebek turns sarcastic when the subject is broached. Some of the show’s products were “crap,” he says, and his interview segements were reduced to, “Hi, how are you? Saw your new series. It was wonderful. Do you ever buy gifts? Cause here’s a wonderful toaster oven.”
  • Like 2

Now this a gem from Cleveland's Own Newscenter8.

KOVR 13 in Sacramento had a nearly identical set and graphics package beginning in April of ‘87 and lasting until maybe November of that same year if my memory serves me right. Video of that branding is pretty much nonexistent on the web. If anybody has any tape, please post!

They eventually got a KCOP rip-off logo changed the graphics and tweaked the set a bit.

• Like 2

KOVR 13 in Sacramento had a nearly identical set and graphics package beginning in April of ‘87 and lasting until maybe November of that same year if my memory serves me right. Video of that branding is pretty much nonexistent on the web. If anybody has any tape, please post!

They eventually got a KCOP rip-off logo changed the graphics and tweaked the set a bit.

A portion of the open they used during those graphics appears on this demo reel:

I know according to site members that their L3’s were ginormous - they were taking up the entire bottom of the screen!

• Like 2

Still on a Utah kick. Here’s some interesting snippets I picked up:

I might also add that the middle clip is a 6-parter of all news reporting and no opens. However, it’s the only possible footage of KTVX during that time frame online. If I could take an educated guess on what their image was like at the time, they were using Ed Hopkins (definitely) and some Non-Stop package (maybe First News?)

• Like 1

WMAQ, Chicago; a special edition of the 10 p.m. news devoted to the Blizzard of 1979:

Part 2:

Part 3:

More WMAQ coverage of the winter of '79 -- a special, one-hour edition of NewsCenter 5 covering the weather emergency:

(This is Part 1; follow the links for the rest.)

• Like 4

THIS IS YOUR 24 HOUR NEWS SOURCE!

In 1994, Canal 13 in Buenos Aires introduced 1-minute hourly news updates during daytime and early evening programming (12pm-8pm)

These updates lasted until 1995. Back then, the station didn't broadcast 24 hours a day: it signed on at noon and signed off shortly after midnight.