Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Charlie Van Dyke was phased out in mid-2007. The exact date for this would be September 6, 2006 judging by the top story being the "first day of school" (two days after Labor Day in New York). This would be the day after they expanded the 6:00 back to an hour in fact.

Image wise, the rough period of 1998-2008 were a great time for WRGB with four good theme/graphic combos going from InSink to the first version of Impact. That package getting destroyed by going HD hurt it a ton and the package that replaced it was so bad the Sinclair package was an improvement.

If I recall right, I remember here on the forums right around the period that News in Focus was on WRGB that one of there creative staffers were looking for advice about keeping News in Focus and switching to the WBBM package and other ideas at the time.

• Like 1

Get ready for "Dateline 6". "Dateline 6" was WABG's newscast title in 1978. I say this, because we feature a rare look at WABG's news operation back in 1978. Courtesy of former WABG anchor Calvin Dean, here is a clip of a WABG newscast from 1978 with a clip of their news intro.

• Like 2

Get ready for "Dateline 6". "Dateline 6" was WABG's newscast title in 1978. I say this, because we feature a rare look at WABG's news operation back in 1978. Courtesy of former WABG anchor Calvin Dean, here is a clip of a WABG newscast from 1978 with a clip of their news intro.

Wow, that set looks good for such a small market.

• Like 5

I had no idea KTRK ever looked so flashy, especially in the Live at Five clip. The cold opens certainly resemble a watered-down WSVN. Of course, this is during the time KPRC ripped off WSVN’s look. How long did KTRK use the newsroom as a studio? Was it only for Live at Five?

• Like 2

[quote name='Raymie']You sure that's 1998? Wowza! Those graphics had to have been in use for years. Also...KFBB is on the Silvertree client list. @TServo2049 this is one you'll want to see![/QUOTE] This may have been the last newscast with the KFMB Silvertree theme, in this tease the anchor mentions a brand new look coming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=yHLBCBKDNaY;m=13;s=8 Also in the video are IDs using different graphics and the Score Productions ABC theme, could this have been the new look mentioned?
  • Like 2

From Uruguay: Monte Carlo TV (channel 4 in Montevideo) closing of the midday news + station ID from Monday, July 31, 2000.

This station used to finish its newscasts with the openers (something very strange) and a few sponsors. A minor note: some of the scenes seen there look like being shot in both video and film.

I've gone into my archives and found some photos of the KXII & KWTX sets. They are from 2002 when I was still in high school, but should give a better look at what we're talking about!

[ATTACH]5309[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]5310[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]5311[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]5312[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]5313[/ATTACH]

2002? Those sets look like they should have been retired AT LEAST 20-25 years earlier.

Here's some of the latest from Ken Owen:

A full WXIN newscast from May 7, 1992:

NBC's coverage of the OJ Simpson chase over the NBA finals:

The weekend version of WRTV's 1989-1993 open:

Speaking of the OJ chase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_CZe30XuBU

(during the duration of the NBA Finals)
  • Like 1

You’ll know for a fact it’s WABG cause of how low budget it looks - judging by their 1999 open...

A WAKR news report from 1985 — Albany viewers will get to see a quick glimpse of a young Jim Kambrich pre-Albany at the very beginning of this video (sadly, he doesn’t speak).

However, you can see him in this newsbreak from after the call letter change.

Plus KMTV was still using Brave New World in 1997:

• Like 4