Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

To Roanoke!

WDBJ's local version of CBS' "Welcome Home To A CBS Night" ("Welcome Home to a 'DBJ Night!") image campaign from 1996...

...and a local version of "The Address is CBS" ("The Address is 'DBJ!") image campaign from 1998.

WDBJ's Mornin' open from 1992...

...and one from 2000.

• Like 2

The 2002-04 "sub look" they wedged into the 1997 opens was flat out awful, a horrible blue/purple gradient, Arial fonts, just a massive mess and unless you poke around the Internet Archive largely invisible.

I REMEMBER those! They were on back when I had an obsession with John Gray (idk why, I was just a little kid), who around that time replaced Ed Dague at the anchor desk. I don’t really remember Ed that well, but I remember John Gray.

When WNYT replaced those opens I recall being very upset that they were ditched. But I began to get used to L.A. Groove - so much so I had a killer earworm of it!

• Like 1

The 1997 Television Factbook says K66FN Salt Lake City signed on March 1, 1996, owned by Rolando Collantes. (A Salt Lake Tribune article suggests the sign-on was at least a month earlier.) This station is today K39JS-D, an Azteca América outlet simulcasting with KSVN-CD 25 in Ogden. The callsign came from KSVN 730 AM which has been a Spanish-language station for nearly three decades now but previously was known as "K-7".

You're seeing KSVN in 2001 (the mention of the 154th anniversary of Pioneer Day seals the year).

Collantes is the owner of Azteca Broadcasting Corporation, the current licensee, which has no relation to TV Azteca itself other than a business partnership and a shared name. His stations hooked up with la televisora del Ajusco in 2002, dropping Univision. In 2004 and 2005, they carried live Spanish translations of the LDS General Conference.

Of all the Utah rarities I've wanted to see, this was one I didn't even know existed!

• Like 2

That's some excellent factfinding right there...thanks for clearing up the mystery!

Meanwhile, we turn to the runt of the KSN litter...remember this disappointment? Be disappointed no more...to some extent at least. (I doubt KSNW used All News Network.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=pz4hzXdD1IQ;m=2;s=16

That 3D animation positively screams Andrew Welch. KSNW had a virtual set in place.

I kind of think very similar-looking KUTV might have had something like this... They *were* sister stations under the Hatch family, too, and this logo animation at the end screams early Welch:

And this is a Welch virtual set, no doubt:

• Like 1

Sounds like WMC was a brief user of 2 NewsTeam by Chris Crane. Anyone have any more clips from this era? Seems like they used it
with Turn To News.

Not sure if they ever used 2 NewsTeam for the opens...anyone have any?

I've never seen that EQ Vance graphics package, either!

And based on the update open you posted...did he do the KCBS Action News "For All of Southern California" set!?!?!?

• Like 2

Some IDs and promos from Lexington in the late 80s and early 90s. WTVQ, WKYT and WLEX.

This Kentucky Derby promo would have been from 1991, judging from the revised logo and the date. May 4th fell on Saturday in 1991, not 1988. The derby is always the first Saturday in May.

• Like 2

Some more KMTV promos - the first promo has an unknown theme, the second using “TuesdayA”.

Look for CNN anchor Chuck Roberts and former KMBC anchor Bev Chapman in the second promo.

Also, did KMTV use “TuesdayA” or “Firepower” for their news opens in 1980? Or did they run concurrently?

• Like 4

The 1997 Television Factbook says K66FN Salt Lake City signed on March 1, 1996, owned by Rolando Collantes. (A Salt Lake Tribune article suggests the sign-on was at least a month earlier.) This station is today K39JS-D, an Azteca América outlet simulcasting with KSVN-CD 25 in Ogden. The callsign came from KSVN 730 AM which has been a Spanish-language station for nearly three decades now but previously was known as "K-7".

You're seeing KSVN in 2001 (the mention of the 154th anniversary of Pioneer Day seals the year).

Collantes is the owner of Azteca Broadcasting Corporation, the current licensee, which has no relation to TV Azteca itself other than a business partnership and a shared name. His stations hooked up with la televisora del Ajusco in 2002, dropping Univision. In 2004 and 2005, they carried live Spanish translations of the LDS General Conference.

Of all the Utah rarities I've wanted to see, this was one I didn't even know existed!

I wonder if some of the graphic assets were taken from it's Chicago sister?

• Like 2

Sounds like WMC was a brief user of 2 NewsTeam by Chris Crane. Anyone have any more clips from this era? Seems like they used it

with Turn To News.

Not sure if they ever used 2 NewsTeam for the opens...anyone have any?

2 NewsTeam was never used outside of the promos as this was a transitional look for WMC-TV that lasted for a short time before Bert Ellis WSB-ified the station months later.

• Like 10

I know the updated look came in right before the Athens Olympics started. I was out of the area when it happened and when I came back it was a little shocking how well they did it. The 2002-04 "sub look" they wedged into the 1997 opens was flat out awful, a horrible blue/purple gradient, Arial fonts, just a massive mess and unless you poke around the Internet Archive largely invisible.

I know that those beautiful opens that went with the first generation of L.A. Groove were junked when the second generation came in. Outside of all of their images in the NewsChannel 13 era, next to the Prime News era those were their best bar none.

Some of those “first-generation” opens were on TVARK until it went dark for an update last year. I doubt they’ll still be there once it comes back.

• Like 2

Some of those “first-generation” opens were on TVARK until it went dark for an update last year. I doubt they’ll still be there once it comes back.

The TV-ARK update (which is rather extensive — the backend needed to be overhauled too) won't come online for a few months. They've also been doing 50fps remasters of all their UK clips so it'll be a treat anyway.

However, the international stuff might be at increased risk. Some of the materials (a batch of different TV station promos from 1993 including the only promo I've ever sen with the KOCO plain 5) are also in the NewsActive3 collection. Our own Roly (NCFLMedia) actually asked them on FB about some older clips, and here's what was said:

"We are aiming to recapture them however we don't have the original tapes for all of them.. The ones the size of a postage stamp made with real video will probably be missed"

• Like 4

I REMEMBER those! They were on back when I had an obsession with John Gray (idk why, I was just a little kid), who around that time replaced Ed Dague at the anchor desk. I don’t really remember Ed that well, but I remember John Gray.

John Gray and those opens never existed at the same time. Gray left at the end of 2003 after being passed up as Ed Dague's replacement, a position which everyone assumed he would get and probably would had Ed naturally retired. The Gray vs. Jim Kambrich vs. Phil Bayly competition for Ed's 6/11 position was pretty fierce and dramatic in hindsight.

In terms of freshening up the market, WNYT made the best move. Gray going to WXXA gave them a shot in the arm they needed badly and took the title of "#1 Late News" until Newport came in (and WRGB started a 10:00 on WCWN). Greg Floyd being exiled to weekends there gave him the fuel to go to WRGB, giving them the stable lead male anchor they had lacked since Ernie Tetrault retired over a decade earlier. Win-win for all involved.

When WNYT replaced those opens I recall being very upset that they were ditched. But I began to get used to L.A. Groove - so much so I had a killer earworm of it!

Those opens were scenic and creative. The plain station logo/"Live at [TIME]" open was unoriginal as heck. It was still better than the mess NBC Stations had become prior or that Keynote is starting to get long in the tooth though the cold open cut for the 10:00 still sounds good three years after it debuted.