Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

That promo is from sometime in 2004 as it was after when Bob Kovachick shaved his mustache and the weather center had already been redone yet were still using their 1997 weather graphics.

Here is another promo from the same time period for the same doppler.

[MEDIA=vimeo]18968925[/MEDIA]

In fact, going through this person's Vimeo account there seems to be a LOT of late 90s-mid 2000s WNYT promos.

A pre-1998 station promo

[MEDIA=vimeo]53071157[/MEDIA]

A 1996 Olympics promo, complete with clips of Chris Kapostasy (Jansing)'s Torch Relay run

[MEDIA=vimeo]94070913[/MEDIA]

"No one has more experience than Ed Dague", someone in 2000-01

[MEDIA=vimeo]18426083[/MEDIA]

More later!

I saw those clips after I discovered the first one.

Elsewhere on Vimeo, someone uploaded a couple of specials that WRGB did about severe weather. I'd link them here, but unfortunately, I'm on my Kindle right now so it's kind of hard for me to do that.

Hard to believe, it's now been 30 years since Baltimore lost a broadcast legend. Today, on this New Year's Eve; we pay tribute to a true news icon in Maryland. TVNT is remembering the late, great Jerry Turner. A Baltimore Institution of WJZ 13 for 25 years. God bless you, Jerry and Godspeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=COuZsP0YDWc;t=1716

• Like 2

One today's date 25 years ago, TVS in the United Kingdom, serving the south coast of England, broadcast its last-ever newscast before handing over its license to Meridian on January 1. The newscast introduced the new broadcaster and looked back at the history of TVS's news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csuXY5zMrqA

• Like 2

One today's date 25 years ago, TVS in the United Kingdom, serving the south coast of England, broadcast its last-ever newscast before handing over its license to Meridian on January 1. The newscast introduced the new broadcaster and looked back at the history of TVS's news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csuXY5zMrqA

And this is how TVS reported on the loss of its broadcast license more than a year earlier:

• Like 2

Some more WNYT promos, all from the 2003-04 timeframe.

"Born to Zap"

[MEDIA=vimeo]18426227[/MEDIA]

"Bob at the Track"

[MEDIA=vimeo]26771993[/MEDIA]

A school closings promo that lasted until at least 2006

[MEDIA=vimeo]18953316[/MEDIA]

"How did Bob Kovachick become interested in the weather?"

[MEDIA=vimeo]18426403[/MEDIA]

"Playing With Fire," a Fall 2004 promo with current, glossier, peacock-on-the-13 logo.

[MEDIA=vimeo]21548013[/MEDIA]

According to an online blog, WNYT debuted their glossier look along with L.A. Groove on August 12, 2004. I remember the graphic change well (though I was only 3 years old!!!) and they kept the graphics until April 2012 when they went HD. However, WNYT went through some minor tweaks (including different L3’s, slogan change to “Coverage You Can Trust”, and newer cuts of “L.A. Groove” by 2006).

• Like 1

According to an online blog, WNYT debuted their glossier look along with L.A. Groove on August 12, 2004. I remember the graphic change well (though I was only 3 years old!!!) and they kept the graphics until April 2012 when they went HD. However, WNYT went through some minor tweaks (including different L3’s, and newer cuts of “L.A. Groove” by 2006).

I know the updated look came in right before the Athens Olympics started. I was out of the area when it happened and when I came back it was a little shocking how well they did it. The 2002-04 "sub look" they wedged into the 1997 opens was flat out awful, a horrible blue/purple gradient, Arial fonts, just a massive mess and unless you poke around the Internet Archive largely invisible.

I know that those beautiful opens that went with the first generation of L.A. Groove were junked when the second generation came in. Outside of all of their images in the NewsChannel 13 era, next to the Prime News era those were their best bar none.

• Like 1

A short WNYT promo from some time in the late 90s-early 2000s that makes fun of WRGB’s Doppler Radar.

[MEDIA=vimeo]6899305[/MEDIA]

While I’m on the subject of classic TV, have any of you guys ever been to the website of the Wolfson Archive? It has a treasure trove of South Florida TV clips (most of which seem to be from the master copies!) that are really worth checking out. Just search for the call letters of a certain South Florida station and you’re good to go. http://www.wolfsonarchives.info/search-the-catalog/

Oh yeah I once found the full WTVJ Watch our Team work opening theme and couple never before heard music of same theme on the Wolfson Archive website;)

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here's a montage of opens and closes of nearly every Southern and Central California TV station from 1993. That open from KTTV is pretty sharp; I hadn't seen that one before.

[MEDIA=vimeo]247655678[/MEDIA]

• Like 2

I believe it has

Yes it has.

As we close out 2017, a look back at some people in the broadcasting business we lost:

Amanda Davis:

Michelle Marsh:

Irv Weinstein:

Doug Paul:

Rich Fisher:

Howard Caldwell:

Jim Vance:

Drew Dimmel:

Van Amburg:

Wayne Walker:

And I’m sure there’s many more, these are just some of them.

• Like 3

According to an online blog, WNYT debuted their glossier look along with L.A. Groove on August 12, 2004. I remember the graphic change well (though I was only 3 years old!!!) and they kept the graphics until April 2012 when they went HD. However, WNYT went through some minor tweaks (including different L3’s, slogan change to “Coverage You Can Trust”, and newer cuts of “L.A. Groove” by 2006).

What blog did you find that information on?

• Like 1

The person who wrote that is one of those WNYT lifers who got hired right out of college and has stuck around for their entire adult life. At the time that post was written, he was their Webmaster, becoming their Digital Manager when that job became a bit more complex. Part of that post makes me wonder.

If you haven't already, check out WNYT to see our new graphics and music and let me know what you think. I think its a huge improvement, but most of the viewer e-mail has been negative (although that isn't really a surprise -- we always get more negative feedback than positive).

And this might be part of why their 1995 backdrop is immortal...

• Like 2

Some bigO plabax from 1980 - including a KMTV Skycam promo with “Theme from ‘Firepower’” and a shot of John McDonald anchoring. Also included is a promo for Dr. Dave Iser, who I believe was Dick Fletcher’s replacement when the latter went to WTSP. Dr. Dave lasted over a year before going to WLS.

And here’s a WPLG weekend open from 1986

• Like 3