Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Pinnacle and that graphics package were the best thing KSTP/KSAZ had in 1993. It was ahead of it's time both figuratively and literally.

The open graphics were sort of lackluster — they were an affiliate package that a couple other stations used (KCCI, WBMG) — but the music was and remains incredible, and the in-show graphics were definitely ahead of their time. 25 years on, it still sounds amazing. The v3 Sunset 10 that they introduced with it was also very good and an improvement at small sizes over the v2 that was used in The Vision era.

• Like 4

More findings: WOOD, KNBC, and WCBS.

WOOD TV 8 - Grand Rapids, MI - 8/21/98 5:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]242424232[/MEDIA]

KNBC TV 4 - Los Angeles, CA - 12/28/98 6:00pm (No Open; seamless transition from the 5pm newscast)

[MEDIA=vimeo]242423735[/MEDIA]

WCBS TV 2 - New York, NY - 4/27/98 5pm (First 40 minutes of the newscast)

[MEDIA=vimeo]242423955[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 3

More findings: WOOD, KNBC, and WCBS.

WOOD TV 8 - Grand Rapids, MI - 8/21/98 5:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]242424232[/MEDIA]

KNBC TV 4 - Los Angeles, CA - 12/28/98 6:00pm (No Open; seamless transition from the 5pm newscast)

[MEDIA=vimeo]242423735[/MEDIA]

WCBS TV 2 - New York, NY - 4/27/98 5pm (First 40 minutes of the newscast)

[MEDIA=vimeo]242423955[/MEDIA]

Jim

Speaking of WOOD, Jim, do you have any newscasts from Mid-Michigan on your radar? I’m specifically looking for WNEM from the mid 90s as well as WJRT and WEYI. Some Lansing would be good, too, but just give us what you’ve got.

Speaking of WOOD, Jim, do you have any newscasts from Mid-Michigan on your radar? I’m specifically looking for WNEM from the mid 90s as well as WJRT and WEYI. Some Lansing would be good, too, but just give us what you’ve got.

Not much from Mid-Michigan - my grandparents lived in Muskegon, so it was mostly Grand Rapids (barely could pick up WUHQ/WOTV from Battle Creek, and it wasn't on Muskegon cable in the 90s), plus the occasional clip picked up from WPBN or WWTV with Rabbit Ears - plus they just had cable - no external aerial.

• Like 2

A few more clip pieces:

KBTX & KVUE from Brenham, TX - Nov. 1991

[MEDIA=vimeo]246615485[/MEDIA]

WCBS, WWOR, WLVI, WMTW, WMUR and WCSH - Northeast Trip, Nov. 1992

[MEDIA=vimeo]246615546[/MEDIA]

(and yes, there is a Deathstar on WLVI, so that someone will be happy...)

• Like 3

WLVI still using its Field-era logo in the Deathstar ID, fyi...

I’m still searching for their first opens under “The Ten O’Clock News” which was nearly two months away from premiering at that point. Would love to see it.

Here’s an inside look at KOKI’s news in 2006, narrated by Sean Caldwell.

• Like 2

Getting toward the end of the 90s...

KSTU (Salt Lake City) February 2, 1999 9:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]246609471[/MEDIA]

KPIX (San Francisco) March 4, 1999 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]246610073[/MEDIA]

WXYZ (Detroit) June 3, 1999 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]246609109[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 3

After many years of searching and waiting, finally a mid-80's KHJ 9 O'Clock News open. Pretty slick and somewhat similar to WOR-TV's from the time. This one's from April, 1984 as evidenced by the top story. Shortly before I came along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL_IB5Uc9Hc

Sorry, I posted that a few days ago, it was my most liked post on here, because clips of KHJ-TV with the arrow-9 logo are hard to find.

Sorry, I posted that a few days ago, it was my most liked post on here, because clips of KHJ-TV with the arrow-9 logo are hard to find.

Ah Good To Know....I've been forever searching for KHJ News stuff from this decade. Grew up watching the Big 9 from KHJ to KCAL.

• Like 1