Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Not too classic, but a bunch of Gannett Deathstars.

KPNX's Deathstar from 2001:

WUSA's Deathstar from 1997-2005:

KUSA's Deathstar from 1995-2005:

KUSA's Deathstar from 2005-2009 (in 2009, elements of the Gannett standardized package were added):

This just found...

KYW's 6pm Newsbeat - Entire Newscast from September 16, 1992 - over 25 years ago!

[MEDIA=vimeo]244941840[/MEDIA]

More to come from this magical tape!!! (though a few things are not complete, but close...)

Updated 11/28/17 with new link to video - old video accidentally deleted.

• Like 4

KNXT, 1974 -- I always thought that WBBM was the first local station with a true newsroom set, but could it have been its sister station KNXT?:

KMOX debuted their "Newsroom" format in 1973. Anchoring from a newsroom was being done in the 1950's/60's. Tampa's WTVT is a good example. Seems like the 70's experienced a revival of the concept.

BTW, are there any clips of Jerry Dunphy anchoring at KNXT?

• Like 1

WJZ/Baltimore - 11PM (9/17/1992)

[MEDIA=vimeo]244819520[/MEDIA]

And News Opens & Closes from around the State of Ohio

[MEDIA=vimeo]244820101[/MEDIA]

Nice to see that WJW 1992-94 Open in clear quality. Also I wonder if they have anything from Toledo, specifically WTVG?

Folks -

The WJZ and Ohio clips were posted without me finishing up prepping them. I want to share with everyone, but need to get everything finished and cleaned up before posting. As soon as they're done on my end, I'll release them. This is the second time someone has been posting from my site before I got things finished up. I'm posting these out of the goodness of my heart - please allow me the courtesy of getting things prepped and squared away. I promise that I will post them as soon as they're ready.

I've been spending many hours of my time getting these newscasts digitized, converted and uploaded. I'm sharing them with y'all, since they do absolutely nothing collecting dust in my basement.

I'm posting as I find the tapes. If I have something, especially 1990s or earlier that I recorded, I'm posting as soon as it's done processing. I nearly wet myself (just a joke) when I found the tape with KYW and WJZ (it also has WHYY, WMAR, WBAL and a good chunk of WBFF - so far - there's some DC on it also...).

(and yes, I'm ticked off right now - for many reasons - this is just one of them)

Jim

• Like 5

Here we go with the WJZ, WBAL and WMAR 11pm newscasts from September 17, 1992.

First Up:

WJZ:

No Denise tonight, but someone forgot to change the closing script... (check out the very end of the newscast to see how Al Sanders rolls with it!)

I don't remember this open/Chroma Cues variation, but it's not bad. I am trying to figure out what the opening graphics mean...

[MEDIA=vimeo]244942607[/MEDIA]

WBAL:

First off is the end of the WBAL version of the "This is CBS" promo - I think the 'BAL lyrics are a heck of a lot better than the network ones... Second - The theme doesn't have the same impact (to me) that Pride Inside or Signature have - it's just "there". Finally - Butch Alsandor (nice guy, I met him at Houston Texans or Astros game) was busy that day - it looks like 'BAL didn't have anyone else in the Sports Department there...

[MEDIA=vimeo]244947177[/MEDIA]

WMAR:

It's good to see Sally Thorner again, before she jumped to 'JZ. Not much more to say on my part...

[MEDIA=vimeo]244943219[/MEDIA]

Comparing the newscasts, it's easy to see why 'BAL and 'JZ were/are the market leaders over 'MAR and (the unseen) 'BFF (those cringeworthy clips are coming soon...).

• Like 4

Folks -

The WJZ and Ohio clips were posted without me finishing up prepping them. I want to share with everyone, but need to get everything finished and cleaned up before posting. As soon as they're done on my end, I'll release them. This is the second time someone has been posting from my site before I got things finished up. I'm posting these out of the goodness of my heart - please allow me the courtesy of getting things prepped and squared away. I promise that I will post them as soon as they're ready.

I've been spending many hours of my time getting these newscasts digitized, converted and uploaded. I'm sharing them with y'all, since they do absolutely nothing collecting dust in my basement.

I'm posting as I find the tapes. If I have something, especially 1990s or earlier that I recorded, I'm posting as soon as it's done processing. I nearly wet myself (just a joke) when I found the tape with KYW and WJZ (it also has WHYY, WMAR, WBAL and a good chunk of WBFF - so far - there's some DC on it also...).

(and yes, I'm ticked off right now - for many reasons - this is just one of them)

Jim

Jim,

All i can say is, THANK YOU for posting and re-posting from the first site i discovered news opens oh so many years ago when i was just barely a teen. The treasure trove you have i know is ENDLESS and i cant wait for all to be revealed in due time.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Ok - it's officially here!

Ohio January 1993

- Really love WHIZ-TV's Open - can you get more generic? This Region? This Vicinity? This Area? And The World!

- Also, can't place the theme they briefly use on their ID

- Not a big fan of WCMH's theme, except for the close - would be interested in hearing the complete treatment

- Wish I had more from WJW - the theme is so quiet in the morning newscast...

- Unfortunately, no WUAB - the VCR froze up after bringing into the hotel room from the car without giving it time warm up (condensation...).

[MEDIA=vimeo]244942978[/MEDIA]

WTRF 12pm; WTRF 5:30pm; WTOV 6pm; WFMJ 11pm; WYTV 11pm®; WKBN 6am; WBNS 5pm; WHIZ (NewsBreak/ID); WHIZ 6pm; WCMH 5pm; WSYX 6pm; WBNS 6pm; WSYX (Close); WCMH 7pm; WSYX 11pm; WCMH 7am; WBNS 8am; WKYC 12pm (WE); WEWS 6pm; WAKC 11pm; WJW 8am; WKYC 9am

• Like 5

Ok - it's officially here!

Ohio January 1993

WTRF 12pm; WTRF 5:30pm; WTOV 6pm; WFMJ 11pm; WYTV 11pm®; WKBN 6am; WBNS 5pm; WHIZ (NewsBreak/ID); WHIZ 6pm; WCMH 5pm; WSYX 6pm; WBNS 6pm; WSYX (Close); WCMH 7pm; WSYX 11pm; WCMH 7am; WBNS 8am; WKYC 12pm (WE); WEWS 6pm; WAKC 11pm; WJW 8am; WKYC 9am

Really glad to see vintage Columbus!!

• Like 2

And another quick bit, including KXAN's 25th Anniversary "tribute" - at the end of the newscast, but a quick glimpse of the KTVV open I became familiar with (before I got a VCR...)

[MEDIA=vimeo]244558446[/MEDIA]

Promos & IDs recorded off air from KXAN, KHOU, WJSU, KBTX, KPRC, WSVN & KWQC.

• Like 1

And another quick bit, including KXAN's 25th Anniversary "tribute" - at the end of the newscast, but a quick glimpse of the KTVV open I became familiar with (before I got a VCR...)

[MEDIA=vimeo]244558446[/MEDIA]

Promos & IDs recorded off air from KXAN, KHOU, WJSU, KBTX, KPRC, WSVN & KWQC.

Thanks for the WSVN clip, hope to see more soon.

• Like 2

I do have an answer as to KYW's 6am newscast in late 1991: They were using NewsDay with Pat Ciarrocchi solo anchoring (Howard Eskine wasn't on the scene yet). (Just found a clip)

Also at this time, Jennifer Ward did the 11pm news also solo - it sounds like KYW had gutted the staff and was rebuilding. The 6pm Eyewitness News had only Steve Bell solo anchoring (Beverly Williams had been shipped to weekends along with Lou Tilley...)

I did find a nearly complete December 1991 Eyewitness News from KYW (Pat was subbing for Steve) and will be posting it hopefully tomorrow...

Jim

• Like 3