Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Ok, a bunch of WBNS from 1994 with the "tomato 10" logo and that hypnotic techno news theme. Notice the "time lapse" animation on the bumpers (i.e. 18:22)-they were big into that during this 1993-96 era. Check ouf the close at 19:10 and another open following that.

Alas, it's pretty crappy VHS quality::

• Like 1

Those clips of Albany in 1994 are like gold given how that year was one where the market hit a turning point of sorts in it's history. WNYT and later WTEN refreshed their logos and image and later you had an arms race of news expansion to the point where stations were moving launch dates up to be first. All three stations announced their expansions to 6:00 AM within a day of each other and were set to do it on the same day until WTEN jumped the gun, for example.

Not seen in the debacle of WRGB's 5:00 PM newscast, the return from commercial bumpers in which vocal effects looped Charlie Van Dyke several times. In contrast, WNYT played it safe with it's newcast being only two extra-long (13 minute!) segments.

• Like 1

Last set of clips until the weekend... Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Georgia / Alabama / Louisiana - September 1994

[MEDIA=vimeo]244040736[/MEDIA]

Atlanta, Macon, Columbus (GA), Birmingham, Anniston, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Lafayette and Lake Chuck.

WTVM using similar graphics as WPDE at the time.

And that’s one slick WDAM open for the era and market!

• Like 2

Those are some fantastic clips, especially the smaller markets...

One thing immediately leapt to mind - WRBL's look is downright unimpressive compared to

(which seems to have preceded it).

Avant seems like it would have been very non-traditional and potentially difficult to maintain. It also was one of the few virtual set newscast concepts of the 90s. Sometimes I wonder if what we have never actually went out on air, even though it looks to be a fully-formed newscast from one date.

I can easily see a turnover at ND and someone junking Avant as just too much.

I don't think WRBL ever used Avant News, it just seems too fancy and expensive for a small market.

That's occurred to me, too. Yet how, then, did they get an entire WRBL newscast or newscast demo to be made, with their anchors, news stories, and even (at the end) a shot of the anchors in front of the virtual set with a real desk?

• Like 1

Two WCVB short promos from c.1994: the first with the late, great Dick Albert, the second is to announce the expansion of their morning newscast, which started at 5AM! It was a really unconventional time to start back then.

WCVB preempted ABC World News This Morning from the very beginning (1982) and didn't air it until was moved to 4:30am, around 2001, but they always cleared ABC World News Now.

• Like 2