Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

The WYFF bump really shares a sound with the contemporaneous WEAR pack from Hummingbird.

John Christopher Burns at his finest. I hope the open using “Primetime News” can be found at some point... I assume he might have it somewhere on his tapes...

Here are some more WESH snippets from 1980:

[quote name='compubit'][I][B]Carolinas from September 1994[/B] I hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving week! [/I] Newscast opens and other clips from the Carolinas in 1994. Please pardon the quality on some of the clips - they were often recorded off-air from my car on this trip... [MEDIA=vimeo]243589515[/MEDIA] WSPA Noon; WJZY 10pm; WCCB 10pm; WCNC 11pm; WSOC 11pm; WFMY 6pm; WGHP 6pm; WYFF Noon; WLOS Noon; WBTV 5pm; WSOC 5:30pm; WCNC 6pm; WXII 6pm; UNC-TV 6:30pm; WLOS 11pm; WIS 11pm[/QUOTE] @compubit I've two questions for you: 1- How did you record TV from a car? 2- When you traveled to the Northeast in 1994, did you visit New England?

A few late '90s newscasts recently uploaded by Compubit (JRD) that were not mentioned here...

WPGH's Ten O'Clock News (when the station still had a news department) from March 14, 1999:

[MEDIA=vimeo]243537154[/MEDIA]

A KPHO 6 p.m. newscast from February 3, 1999:

[MEDIA=vimeo]243397722[/MEDIA]

A WHEC 11 p.m. newscast from August 26, 1998

[MEDIA=vimeo]243535721[/MEDIA]

A WUHF 10 p.m. newscast (during the days of its former in-house news department) from August 26, 1998

[MEDIA=vimeo]243536124[/MEDIA]

A WHEC 11 p.m. newscast, also from the date above:

[MEDIA=vimeo]243535721[/MEDIA]

And a few more...

A KNXV 5:30 p.m. newscast from May 14, 1999:

[MEDIA=vimeo]243397434[/MEDIA]

A WISH-TV 6 p.m. newscast from October 19, 1999:

[MEDIA=vimeo]243536472[/MEDIA]

A 10 p.m. newscast from WJRD (now WVUA), again from August 29, 1998:

[MEDIA=vimeo]243536746[/MEDIA]

A WBZ 11 p.m. newscast August 16, 1998:

[MEDIA=vimeo]243537918[/MEDIA]

And finally, a WTHR 11 p.m. newscast from October 18, 1999:

[MEDIA=vimeo]243537517[/MEDIA]

• Like 2

Not gonna lie, after seeing that NC Now open, all it was missing were announcing of "filmed before a live studio audience" + "in stereo where available" notice below. i was waiting to see what story they gonna tell on "tonight's episode". Cue the laugh track. Don't tell me they wouldn't 'fit in' between Full House and Family Matters. Perfect 'sitcom' open that captured the 90s, love it.

UNC-TV has the very first edition of North Carolina Now from January 19, 1994 available online:

http://video.unctv.org/video/2365158112/

Eventually, the cheesy sitcom intro was dumped for a more conservative style. I'm not sure when this debuted, but it lasted through much of the 2000s up until 2011:

In early 2011, the theme and logo were updated:

In January 2016, North Carolina Now retooled itself as NC Now, going from airing from every weeknight to every Thursday night, dropping the host, and keeping the feature stories, but no more one-on-one studio interviews, etc.

http://video.unctv.org/video/2365636628/

Unfortunately, it appears NC Now is no more - the last episode was produced in April 2017.

I'm not sure who did the 1994 theme, but I have a guess that the 2000s, 2011, and 2016 themes are custom compositions by Charlotte's Concentrix Music & Sound Design (as listed in

) who have done a bunch of award-winning work for UNC-TV.
  • Like 3

Looks like someone took a trip on the I-85 corridor! Love this stuff... fingers crossed that your travels took you points east of there!

Not east, but south...

A few late '90s newscasts recently uploaded by Compubit (JRD) that were not mentioned here...

WPGH's Ten O'Clock News (when the station still had a news department) from March 14, 1999:

You beat me to the post...

Jim

Philadelphia, December 1991

KYW was simultaneously running two separate formats: Eyewitness News at 6pm and The News Tonight at 11pm, even with different reporters on the same story... I have no idea what other dayparts were running (early morning and midday - if they even had a midday newscast). By February, everything was was new format/theme/graphics.

To answer your question, mornings was new format (branded as "NewsDay"). There was no midday newscast, just hourly updates. (I believe those were branded "The News Now", and used News Tonight graphics.) I think weekends were branded "The News Saturday/Sunday" (using the former weeknight team sans Steve Bell). The only place Eyewitness News remained was 6pm on weeknights. In that clip, MAN does it stick out like a sore thumb. The only thing that indicates the 6pm and 11pm aired on the same station is the mic flag. Why they didn't immediately kill EWN to begin with remains a mystery - I have a gut feeling it relates to Steve Bell's contract but that's just me.

Anyway, Steve Bell and Eyewitness News were out by the first week of January. Bruce Hamilton was in for NewsBeat. Even that didn't last. By the end of 1992 they paired Hamilton with 11pm anchor Jennifer Ward, and all evening newscasts (weekday and weekend) carried the News Tonight name. Branding coherency returned in 1994 when Larry Kane, Stephanie Stahl, and the blue set all arrived with KYW News 3.

Per
, it wasn't until the next month- January of 92- that NewsBeat replaced the 6PM EWN. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't NewsBeat start at 5:30? One of Phillyvideofan's old videos (before the whole channel got taken down) seemed to imply that.) There wasn't a noon newscast at the time (no idea if they'd ever had one), but one did debut during the KYW News 3 era after the switch to CBS (no clue what was running in the slot before).

They did have a noon newscast during the Eyewitness News days - not sure when it was introduced or how long it lasted, but there was a midday news. That was canned during the revamp in 1991. KYW did reintroduce it with the switch to CBS, with a far better lead in.

The KYW talk here shouldn't overshadow the presence of peak Action News. The opens have the best master of MCTYW that they've ever used, the "newsmat" set is classic and the anchors are in peak form. This was the newscast I grew up with and the nostalgia here is STRONG.

• Like 2

[quote name='onthesea']@compubit I've two questions for you: 1- How did you record TV from a car? 2- When you traveled to the Northeast in 1994, did you visit New England?[/QUOTE] Back in the day... 1) I had a Sony VideoWalkman [IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/Original_Sony_Video_Walkman.JPG/220px-Original_Sony_Video_Walkman.JPG[/IMG] as well as my Super-VHS deck and an 8mm tape deck, and 2) a DC/AC converter (plugs into the cigarette lighter and provides 120V out), and 3) a thing called (as I was originally taught) an aerial, but nowadays it's called an antenna. If you connect them up, you could record stuff off the air! It was amazing! In reality, I just hooked stuff up and recorded - I'd take the 8mm and S-VHS decks, tune them in using the screen on the Video Walkman, then lastly tune the video to record. I learned that you have to be careful with grounding and the antenna to the car, or you end up with white noise (you can see it in some of the videos...) As for Northeast 1994, I don't think so - I have some Burlington, VT, but started in NYC, moved my grandmother to outside of Albany, then did the loop trip up I-87 to Montreal, down through Toronto, and then back to Albany, then headed back to Texas with my mom (thus the Hagerstown/Baltimore, Knoxville & Nashville). I have more, but will have to edit it together once I get it off of tape... Jim
  • Like 3

Back in the day...

1) I had a Sony VideoWalkman

220px-Original_Sony_Video_Walkman.JPG

as well as my Super-VHS deck and an 8mm tape deck, and

2) a DC/AC converter (plugs into the cigarette lighter and provides 120V out), and

3) a thing called (as I was originally taught) an aerial, but nowadays it's called an antenna.

If you connect them up, you could record stuff off the air! It was amazing!

In reality, I just hooked stuff up and recorded - I'd take the 8mm and S-VHS decks, tune them in using the screen on the Video Walkman, then lastly tune the video to record. I learned that you have to be careful with grounding and the antenna to the car, or you end up with white noise (you can see it in some of the videos...)

As for Northeast 1994, I don't think so - I have some Burlington, VT, but started in NYC, moved my grandmother to outside of Albany, then did the loop trip up I-87 to Montreal, down through Toronto, and then back to Albany, then headed back to Texas with my mom (thus the Hagerstown/Baltimore, Knoxville & Nashville). I have more, but will have to edit it together once I get it off of tape...

Jim

Awesome. Out of curiosity, have you managed to pick up any newscasts from New Orleans/Baton Rouge?

• Like 1

Northeast US, October 1994

Sorry for the heavy WNBC rotation, but I love that theme. I also found it interesting WCBS was still using the "I Love Chicago" theme for the traffic open... I'm a fan of WBAL's open - to me, at least, it's in the class with WBTV's from the same timeframe. I have more from this trip (some Canada/northern NY, as well as west Tennessee), coming soon!

[MEDIA=vimeo]243785255[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 5

Awesome. Out of curiosity, have you managed to pick up any newscasts from New Orleans/Baton Rouge?

I have the one I've posted from WBRZ in 1994 - I suspect I also have a WAFB from the same trip (different tape, though), and just ran across the WBTR/19 "Baton Rouge Today" open. I have some New Orleans from the early 90s somewhere...

Also, I'm beginning to wonder - did I do any work in 1994???

Jim

• Like 4

I have the one I've posted from WBRZ in 1994 - I suspect I also have a WAFB from the same trip (different tape, though), and just ran across the WBTR/19 "Baton Rouge Today" open. I have some New Orleans from the early 90s somewhere...

Also, I'm beginning to wonder - did I do any work in 1994???

Jim

I think I missed the WBRZ post. Where was it again?

• Like 1

This is amazing!!!! I’ve never seen that WNYT Open in full before... Plus it’s worth noting that this was the first open using their current logo — graphics are very resembling to that of sister station KMOV.

Anyway WJAR used the WTVX 1983 theme earlier than we thought:

• Like 2

Northeast US, October 1994

Jim

I'm not one to make requests, but I wonder if you could share any more from WNYW's 1994 era. I am a sucker for that theme and I'm so glad I got to hear a little more of the sax close version.

Also a big sucker for Total News-era WCBS--in large part because a lot of the cuts they used never made it to the syndicated work!

I'm not one to make requests, but I wonder if you could share any more from WNYW's 1994 era. I am a sucker for that theme and I'm so glad I got to hear a little more of the sax close version.

Also a big sucker for Total News-era WCBS--in large part because a lot of the cuts they used never made it to the syndicated work!

That's probably all I have, but I'll keep looking - my grandmother moved upstate in 1994, and going forward, there's more Albany than any place else...