Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Looks like Pannoni beat ewjxn to uploading KTSM’s newscast:

By the way, here's Texas Monthly's profile of the El Paso TV market from the same year (1984):

elpaso1a.png

(You can read the entire article, which covers all the TV markets in Texas, HERE, beginning on page 101.)

• Like 2

In 1993, KXAS led campaign in a cable retransmission issues (who knew those messes exist then?) against Telecable. Promos included Scott Murray and Iona Johnson. What role did she have on 5 at that time? What became of telecable? It seems the issue targeted those areas (Arlington, Plano, Richardson) were the ones affected. Did the threat followed thru?

That's actually *two* days after ewjxn's clip. How bizarre they'd both appear on the same day.

From El Paso to Tulsa, here's KTUL's Oklahoma's News 8 from 1994:

Finally, some solid proof that they were using Advantage much earlier than 1998... (the TVbD demos were the smoking gun)

• Like 1

I showed that commercial to my mom and she says she recognizes that male voiceover. I wonder... I doubt it, but maybe one of the Albany stations used him? I know WRGB had Charlie Van Dyke, WNYT always used Ed Hopkins, and WTEN had Dude Walker, and then that other unidentified WTVO voiceover guy... I wonder how you can identify voiceovers...

Anyway I know I posted this before, but has anyone found out that WTVC used “Tuesday3”?

Yes it is tuesday 3.

• Like 2

A warning to anyone who wants to watch the above: it isn't very much about the broadcast stations. Most of the time is spent on their video production arm.

Also, a clip of KDBC News 4 from 1991 featuring a break bumper with the KCBS-WNEV-WVTM theme:

• Like 1

Clips from Illinois & Indiana (along with a Memphis) from August 1994

[MEDIA=vimeo]243543019[/MEDIA]

WAND 5:30pm; WICD 10pm; WICS 6:00am; WLFI 6:30am; WSBT 12pm; WYIN 10pm (split); WSJV 10pm; WYIN 10pm; WMAQ 6am; WCIA 6pm; WHOI 10pm; WHOI 6am; WLS 4pm; WBBM 4:30pm; WLS 5pm; WBBM 6pm; WLS 10pm; WFLD 6am; WPSD 12pm; WREG 5pm

• Like 5

Clips from Illinois & Indiana (along with a Memphis) from August 1994

[MEDIA=vimeo]243543019[/MEDIA]

WAND 5:30pm; WICD 10pm; WICS 6:00am; WLFI 6:30am; WSBT 12pm; WYIN 10pm (split); WSJV 10pm; WYIN 10pm; WMAQ 6am; WCIA 6pm; WHOI 10pm; WHOI 6am; WLS 4pm; WBBM 4:30pm; WLS 5pm; WBBM 6pm; WLS 10pm; WFLD 6am; WPSD 12pm; WREG 5pm

I didn't know that Paul Douglas worked at WBBM. It's surprising!

I didn't know that Paul Douglas worked at WBBM. It's surprising!

With all the turnover there in the 90's, I'm not surprised. I believe he was brought in to push out (or at least take seniority over) Steve Baskerville, but it never came together like they wanted it to.

• Like 2

With all the turnover there in the 90's, I'm not surprised. I believe he was brought in to push out (or at least take seniority over) Steve Baskerville, but it never came together like they wanted it to.

And there is the fact that by that time CBS owned WCCO, and one way for the eye to 'hurt' the Deathstar/KARE was to take their popular met away, and if things didn't work out at 'BBM, bring him back to the Twin Cities to be chief @ CCO.

• Like 4

Philadelphia, December 1991

KYW was simultaneously running two separate formats: Eyewitness News at 6pm and The News Tonight at 11pm, even with different reporters on the same story... I have no idea what other dayparts were running (early morning and midday - if they even had a midday newscast). By February, everything was was new format/theme/graphics.

Also WPVI and WHYY...

[MEDIA=vimeo]243563973[/MEDIA]

Sorry for the earlier mis-post - the video wasn't rendering properly...

• Like 6

Philadelphia, December 1991

KYW was simultaneously running two separate formats: Eyewitness News at 6pm and The News Tonight at 11pm, even with different reporters on the same story... I have no idea what other dayparts were running (early morning and midday - if they even had a midday newscast). By February, everything was was new format/theme/graphics.

Also WPVI and WHYY...

[MEDIA=vimeo]243563973[/MEDIA]

Sorry for the earlier mis-post - the video wasn't rendering properly...

Per

, it wasn't until the next month- January of 92- that NewsBeat replaced the 6PM EWN. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't NewsBeat start at 5:30? One of Phillyvideofan's old videos (before the whole channel got taken down) seemed to imply that.) There wasn't a noon newscast at the time (no idea if they'd ever had one), but one did debut during the KYW News 3 era after the switch to CBS (no clue what was running in the slot before).
  • Like 2

At the start, NewsBeat started at 6pm. 6, 6 & 11 - I couldn't remember if there was a midday - I didn't think so, but after 25+ years, my memory about Philly news isn't as good as it once was...

I have a 1994 Northeast trip I'm editing together (in reality, pulling out the stuff around the newscast opens, etc.)

Jim

• Like 3

Carolinas from September 1994

I hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving week!

Newscast opens and other clips from the Carolinas in 1994. Please pardon the quality on some of the clips - they were often recorded off-air from my car on this trip...

[MEDIA=vimeo]243589515[/MEDIA]

WSPA Noon; WJZY 10pm; WCCB 10pm; WCNC 11pm; WSOC 11pm; WFMY 6pm; WGHP 6pm; WYFF Noon; WLOS Noon; WBTV 5pm; WSOC 5:30pm; WCNC 6pm; WXII 6pm; UNC-TV 6:30pm; WLOS 11pm; WIS 11pm

• Like 5

Now this is too much good stuff!

The WYFF bump really shares a sound with the contemporaneous WEAR pack from Hummingbird. The WSOC/WCCB open is something I've never seen, and that WBTV pack is solid stuff for 1994!

And North Carolina Now's open is straight out of a sitcom!

• Like 3

Now this is too much good stuff!

The WYFF bump really shares a sound with the contemporaneous WEAR pack from Hummingbird. The WSOC/WCCB open is something I've never seen, and that WBTV pack is solid stuff for 1994!

And North Carolina Now's open is straight out of a sitcom!

Not gonna lie, after seeing that NC Now open, all it was missing were announcing of "filmed before a live studio audience" + "in stereo where available" notice below. i was waiting to see what story they gonna tell on "tonight's episode". Cue the laugh track. Don't tell me they wouldn't 'fit in' between Full House and Family Matters. Perfect 'sitcom' open that captured the 90s, love it. By god, can anyone identify the WCNC nightcast theme. Is it production music? So addictive. I keep hearing that theme as background for WFAN Radio's 'Benigno and Roberts' football picks segments every friday. Yes WBTV's open is the standard of modern times, holds up so well.

• Like 3