Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Before calling it a weekend... Philly (just found this today).

WPHL (Philadelphia) April 24, 1997 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]242452301[/MEDIA]

Later this week (and in December), I'll have some "20 Years ago today" newscasts.

I have lots of opens from the late 80s and early 90s, but not as many full newscasts, as I had to cart a VHS machine when I traveled, and that usually meant traveling by car... (though the stuff from Thanksgiving 1992 came from checking my S-VHS machine in my suitcase...) ~93/94 I picked up an 8mm recorder, and that's when I started getting more full newscasts. As for right now, I'm getting things off of DVD - once that's done, I'll start attacking tapes.

Jim

That clip is unusual- a music package I haven't ever heard before (I don't think it's Power News), and the set is a leftover from the trainwreck that was Inquirer News Tonight.

That clip is unusual- a music package I haven't ever heard before (I don't think it's Power News), and the set is a leftover from the trainwreck that was Inquirer News Tonight.

It’s Production Music: Action News by FirstCom. It was also heard on WNWO after the switch to NBC in 1995 as well as WOI in Des Moines.

As for that “Sundown” clip, Gary Essex must’ve jumped to KUSA (then KBTV) very quickly, as two months earlier he was working at KTVY:

A wonderfully bizarre 1987 news open from BTQ7 in Brisbane, Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=xGlzcBvswsw;m=2;s=7

This look didn't last long, however. In January 1988, the newscast was cut back from 60 to 30 minutes, and the branding used by the other Seven Network stations was adopted, complete with a new set, new graphics, The Mission by John Williams (a.k.a. the NBC Nightly News theme), and the Seven Nightly News branding:

• Like 2

This look didn't last long, however. In January 1988, the newscast was cut back from 60 to 30 minutes, and the branding used by the other Seven Network stations was adopted, complete with a new set, new graphics, The Mission by John Williams (a.k.a. the NBC Nightly News theme), and the Seven Nightly News branding:

The open matches that with kcop in los Angeles.

Guest Former Member 207

Someone a couple pages back posted a vintage KSDK promo...there, I saw the link for the station's 70th anniversary special, and here it is...

Get ready to feel "That Macon Spirit" with promos recorded from WGXA-TV 24, Macon's ABC affiliate, during the early 1980s.

More rare Macon television as WCWB-TV brings you a localized version of NBC's "Proud As A Peacock" promo campaign. An ID is included.

"Action News 2, Where You'll Be The First to Know". Here are three promos featuring the news team of John Pruitt and Monica Pearson (then Monica Kaufman).

Canal 13's promo of the "new" Telenoche, but not in 2015: it was 1992 when that happened for the first time.

Back then, they said "we've the world's more modern cameras". That was a little bit exagerated.

They really had the best team (anchors, reporters, producers, technicians, etc...), they were #1 at 8PM, and the quality of pictures made you feel you were in the 90s, but in countries like the UK, Australia and NZ, the picture was more clearer.

• Like 1