Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Clearing out some backlog... Coming soon - a few 90s newscasts from Canada!

Also, I will be posting some "20 years ago today" newscasts over the next few months.

Enjoy!

WLBZ (Bangor) Oct 1, 1996 5:30pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]241360875[/MEDIA]

WABC (New York) February 7, 1997 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]241393164[/MEDIA]

WJLA (Washington) October 22, 1997 5:30am

[MEDIA=vimeo]241393484[/MEDIA]

KXAS (Ft. Worth) July 2, 1994 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]240311417[/MEDIA]

• Like 2

Yeah, I know that channel. The user's sister was killed in the Atlanta child murders of the 80's, which is probably why his videos, and his mind, are messed up.

Actually, you are incorrect. His sister was burned to death on July 4, 1983 at a Winn-Dixie in the Clair-Mel neighborhood of Tampa. A mentally unstable man named Billy Ferry walked in to the store, went to the cash registers, doused people with gasoline and set them on fire. I got to know him when he commented on a section of the 2005 WFLA-TV 50th Anniversary special I posted several years ago disputing what former reporter covered the story and his sister's death for the station. His family moved back to Georgia sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. His videos at first had some good vintage material from Tampa and Atlanta but for the last year or two they've been weird video mash-ups with bizarre theories attached to them.

• Like 1

Has this ever been posted? Either way this is still cool to watch considering how rare KTVK stuff is from the early to mid ‘80s. This also shows their ID from the following set of opens (Arizona’s News People) debuted in 1984, as well as a “Turn To” promo.

• Like 6

Actually, you are incorrect. His sister was burned to death on July 4, 1983 at a Winn-Dixie in the Clair-Mel neighborhood of Tampa. A mentally unstable man named Billy Ferry walked in to the store, went to the cash registers, doused people with gasoline and set them on fire. I got to know him when he commented on a section of the 2005 WFLA-TV 50th Anniversary special I posted several years ago disputing what former reporter covered the story and his sister's death for the station. His family moved back to Georgia sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. His videos at first had some good vintage material from Tampa and Atlanta but for the last year or two they've been weird video mash-ups with bizarre theories attached to them.

Thanks for letting me know. I never watched the rest of his videos, knowing how unstable that guy is. :) I just assumed it was from the Atanta murders of 79-81 because of his love for WTCG/WTBS.

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know. I never watched the rest of his videos, knowing how unstable that guy is. :) I just assumed it was from the Atanta murders of 79-81 because of his love for WTCG/WTBS.

Here is a video link to the incident that killed his sister.

• Like 1

Has this ever been posted? Either way this is still cool to watch considering how rare KTVK stuff is from the early to mid ‘80s. This also shows their ID from the following set of opens (Arizona’s News People) debuted in 1984, as well as a “Turn To” promo.

That's a wonderful find! Among with KTVK's chopper and live trucks seen in this 1985 promo...

...it's another indication that at least some elements of the station's "rainbow look" predate the NewsChannel 3 era.

From KTVK, a Good Evening Arizona segment, probably from the late 1990s (or even the early 2000s. Believe it or not, those lower-thirds, a modified version of the 1986 design, survived into the 21st century!):

And to illustrate my point here's a clip of Good Evening Arizona from 2000 with the classic rainbow lower-thirds -- complete with a NewsChannel 3 tag, even tough that moniker had been almost completely phased out by late late 1990s. (It was brought back temporarily a few years later):

And to illustrate my point here's a clip of Good Evening Arizona from 2000 with the classic rainbow lower-thirds -- complete with a NewsChannel 3 tag, even tough that moniker had been almost completely phased out by late late 1990s. (It was brought back temporarily a few years later):

It was even used for coverage of the World Series parade in November 2001, though I don't think the video can be found anywhere now.

Yup, that definitely shed some much-needed clarity when I found it 5 years ago. At the time, I quipped of the image promo at 5:13 in that clip, "Let's just say I may take back every word I've said about repetitive Turn To campaign songs."

BTW, Jim Scoutten at this time was also anchoring Eyewitness News (in addition to filling in).

• Like 2

KWWL promos from the mid-90s with the male voiceover whose name we don't know and the female voiceover I associate with KCNC:

Ten years of WHEC stuff:

A full 6pm WBRE Eyewitness News in 1996:

And the open to the WCAX Late News in 1988, with the station's typical no-frills open:

So who replaced him then? Chapin? If so that would be really cool if I could see an open from that time period, would bring back childhood memories. My parents always watched News 10’s noon news at the time.

Yes. Chapin replaced Clausen alongside Momentum News replacing Primetime News and that open (which WJBK and WMTW also used) being hacked to bits. This was also when Rene LaSpina snaked her way into WTEN and tried to turn it into WHDH Lite, complete with "The News Station" being their tagline.

The mid 2000's were a fun time for Albany news in general between all the anchors shifting stations, some old veterans hanging around, and the sheer expansion of content that continues to this day. Remember, Nexstar's Albany newsroom today produces more news per day than any other broadcast station in New York state or any station in New England outside Boston.