Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

The graphics in that WVIR open set, especially the beginning and end animations and the lower third, have a very strong NBC News early '90s feel...

They had no real emphasis to change - as a 180s/190s ranked market with 1 commercial and 1 PBS station (a satellite out of Richmond, I believe). Everything else was out of market on cable; not bad for a one-station college town (reminds me of Bryan/College Station during the mid 80s...).

Jim

• Like 2

From March 17, 1992; St. Patrick's Day, and more importantly, primary day in Illinois and Michigan. From WLS, this is World News Tonight (Sam Donaldson in for Peter Jennings), Eyewitness News at 6 (future 6pm team Krashesky and Brock in for Floyd Kalber), and the first few minutes of Wheel of Fortune. Since the opening of the network newscast is cut off, this recording would've aired from about 5:31-6:33pm.

[MEDIA=vimeo]217929979[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

Here's some 30 year-old goodness from Baltimore. I found this on an old tape and knew I needed to post it... This is my second-oldest newscast I recorded (that I've found so far). The oldest is a mid-summer 10pm from KCEN (it was supposed to be KTVV, but due to interference, the Channel 36 signal dropped from our cable system, as I was recording "a Thursday night of NBC").

At the time WMAR didn't carry the Tonight Show, pre-empted NBC often for Orioles Baseball, and didn't clear parts of the NBC daytime schedule (thank goodness WRC, which I could also receive at the time, did clear the entire schedule - can't miss the game shows!).

I do chuckle at Ken Matz struggling through "North American Man Boy Love Association" during the tease... Also, during the 6pm newscast, the 2 logo flies toward the screen to the studio through the hole in the 2.

Enjoy!

WMAR (Baltimore) August 28, 1987 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]238501088[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 4

Here's the opening to KSTWashington's Ten O'Clock News from February of 1988:

And a WPTV Action 5 News special on the one year anniversary of the Challenger Explosion, along with the first segement of WPLG's 11pm news from that same day:

How about something from a PBS station? KENW's Scene 3 News from November 1992:

Here's the opening to KSTWashington's Ten O'Clock News from February of 1988:

And a WPTV Action 5 News special on the one year anniversary of the Challenger Explosion, along with the first segement of WPLG's 11pm news from that same day:

How about something from a PBS station? KENW's Scene 3 News from November 1992:

So “Good News” debuted in early 1987 then? Also Deborah Gianoulis must’ve taken a break from ‘JXT to report for WPTV at the time... She must’ve been a one-year-stint, because she headed back to Channel 4 shortly after.

• Like 1

That definitely confirms for me what I'd already suspected - WAGA must have commissioned Good News. (The melody lines up perfectly anyway - "good folks, good news, TV-5" and "good news on TV-5".)

Also, that KENW newscast is surprisingly well-produced for a small-market college show...

Not local news but very special. Today is the 30th anniversary of the "Black Monday" October 1987 stock market crash. Here is a ton of FNN coverage of the event.

Coverage on "MarketWrap":

A special edition of the "FNN Evening News", which was just uploaded today:

• Like 1

Been waiting for digitaldave to post this again... I saw it a few years ago but it was taken off of Youtube.

WAVY's "5:30 First News" open from 1992. My guess is that this came out in 1989 when the 5:30 newscast debuted. Certainly channels what then-sister station KXAS did with the "Night Team" opens... music intertitled in between the story teases.

Man, I would love to see a full version of the intro and the full First News at 5 theme WAVY used pop up online.

So “Good News” debuted in early 1987 then? Also Deborah Gianoulis must’ve taken a break from ‘JXT to report for WPTV at the time... She must’ve been a one-year-stint, because she headed back to Channel 4 shortly after.

WPTV must have joined the Florida News Network. Stations in that group (WJXT, WPLG, WTSP, WFTV were some of the others) would often donate their reporters to the other stations for big, statewide stories.