Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

I've gone video hunting again. All of these are from the same YT channel:

The first 12 minutes of the KGO 5pm news from February 27, 1997 (just after this short lived look debuted):

A chunk of World News Now with Anderson Cooper from March 2, 2000:

A pop-up news teaser from KMBC from February 25, 1990: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=FlQHSUruFhg;m=28;s=34

From earlier in the same tape as the WNN clip, a promo for WPVI's Philly After Midnight, which was a reincarnation of AM Live/AM Philadelphia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=xr4PuM1J03c;m=10;s=43

And the episode itself:

• Like 1

Which was followed by a replay of that night's 11 pm news:

WPTA's 6pm news from the last Sunday of 1999:

An NBC News Special Report on the OKC bombing:

Nightline from the same WPVI tape:

Two thirds of the late news on the old KNTV from late April/early May 1994, with lots of program promos:

• Like 2

Oh God Philly After Midnight! I forgot about that one!

Basically that was a reincarnation of their old AM Philadelphia/AM Live talk show. WPVI would pre-empt whatever show ABC was running right before noon to show it. When ABC launched The View, they kind of told 6 that, yeah, you kind of had to air it. So the show was moved to 12:35, after Politically Incorrect, and renamed suitably. It stuck around for a few years, until I think another Disney/ABC mandated syndicated show took it off the air for good.

And niiiice on the Action Newscast that followed it. They "evolved" a lot of the elements of that 1998 look all the way up until they got the new set and graphics this year... almost twenty years!

• Like 3

Oh God Philly After Midnight! I forgot about that one!

Basically that was a reincarnation of their old AM Philadelphia/AM Live talk show. WPVI would pre-empt whatever show ABC was running right before noon to show it. When ABC launched The View, they kind of told 6 that, yeah, you kind of had to air it. So the show was moved to 12:35, after Politically Incorrect, and renamed suitably. It stuck around for a few years, until I think another Disney/ABC mandated syndicated show took it off the air for good.

And niiiice on the Action Newscast that followed it. They "evolved" a lot of the elements of that 1998 look all the way up until they got the new set and graphics this year... almost twenty years!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! (the things I do for you people...) That was probably the first time I've ever seen a local TV station do their own late night talk show. You better download it soon, the owner of the video just had one of his accounts wiped, and I'm worried the same thing could happen to this account!

Anyone else know any other stations that did similar show to PAM?

A KSBW news promo appears at the very beginning -- according to the description, some parts of this were taken during the 11 PM news, so I'm sure Pannoni will upload that to the channel soon.

It's Dan Greene and Dina Ruiz in the tease...

Dina was Clint Eastwoods last wife.

• Like 4

A KSBW news promo appears at the very beginning -- according to the description, some parts of this were taken during the 11 PM news, so I'm sure Pannoni will upload that to the channel soon.

And here it is, the news from 22 years ago tomorrow:

• Like 2

Now for some material from the sister channel to the one I found yesterday:

Grab a box of tissues, here's WABC's 11pm news from just 10 days after 9/11. A very serious newscast, no happy talk or banter. At the end is a long credit role that acknoledges Don DiFranco, the station's engineer who was killed when the towers collapsed.

Plus an expanded edition of Nightline from that same day:

And as a bonus, the Politically Incorrect that aired afterwards. After 9/11, the show would do cold opens for the rest of it's run:

Now on a happier note, here's a news teaser from WECT from February 9, 1986: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h=2;id=OLiyFX9nt6s;m=33;s=43

And a December 1990 KIMT newscast from the directors POV (you''ll have to click the link to view): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybRRrsOUotM

• Like 1

I think this will make Info Junkie's and Raymie's day -- it certainly made mine; some bits and pieces of KNXV during the station's piecemeal Fox-to-ABC affiliation switch:

Here's more -- these promos give some indication of just how revolutionary KNXV's initial format and style were for the Phoenix market:

• Like 4

Yes please!

As I've seen more mid-90s Phoenix TV material, I'm starting to understand just why News 15 was a jarring event and why its promotion was so on point.

Phoenix — I mean, Arizona — TV newscasts of the period were really samey, and the way they were promoted was very sugary. Even KSAZ, which had a bit of an edge to its image and tried to cultivate that through the early Fox years, was and still is at its core a very traditional sort of TV newscast. KTVK had presentation that hadn't changed significantly since, like, 1987; KPHO had finally managed to truly come out of the 80s just months before, and even then changes in the anchor lineup and presentation barely masked the outdated feeling of their main newscast. KPNX was also in this mold.

KNXV was scrappy, really fast-paced, and sugar-free. Their story density was amazing; they aired 43 stories in their first 33-minute newscast (August 1, 1994). While the station toned down some of what it might have done under Fox, it found that a fresh approach to news, with quite a bit of attitude, was going to be successful. News 15 impressed a lot of people — it was the second-place finisher in the 1995 local Emmy race, covering 1994, despite only having five months on the air. Between 1994 and 96, KNXV was something else.

Then it went tabloid, started to pursue ratings, and it quickly fell into a hole. Outside of a time in the mid-2000s and arguably recent years, KNXV has been often describable as "barren". However, they're pretty good if a little over-the-top, and they have the best Twitter presence in town.

• Like 5

Yes please!

As I've seen more mid-90s Phoenix TV material, I'm starting to understand just why News 15 was a jarring event and why its promotion was so on point.

Phoenix — I mean, Arizona — TV newscasts of the period were really samey, and the way they were promoted was very sugary. Even KSAZ, which had a bit of an edge to its image and tried to cultivate that through the early Fox years, was and still is at its core a very traditional sort of TV newscast. KTVK had presentation that hadn't changed significantly since, like, 1987; KPHO had finally managed to truly come out of the 80s just months before, and even then changes in the anchor lineup and presentation barely masked the outdated feeling of their main newscast. KPNX was also in this mold.

KNXV was scrappy, really fast-paced, and sugar-free. Their story density was amazing; they aired 43 stories in their first 33-minute newscast (August 1, 1994). While the station toned down some of what it might have done under Fox, it found that a fresh approach to news, with quite a bit of attitude, was going to be successful. News 15 impressed a lot of people — it was the second-place finisher in the 1995 local Emmy race, covering 1994, despite only having five months on the air. Between 1994 and 96, KNXV was something else.

Then it went tabloid, started to pursue ratings, and it quickly fell into a hole. Outside of a time in the mid-2000s and arguably recent years, KNXV has been often describable as "barren". However, they're pretty good if a little over-the-top, and they have the best Twitter presence in town.

I think we've mentioned this before, but this 1997 article provides an interesting behind-the-scenes account of KNXV's innovative launch format and how it was ultimately abandoned:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/chit-happens-6423248

Yeah, he worked for a couple of years at WABC before going back to Boston in 1978, joining Natalie and Chet at WCVB.

What was it with WABC and short-lived anchors from nearby markets in the 1970s? Larry Kane also joined the station for about a year in 1977 before heading back to Philadelphia.

• Like 2

More from my 1998 Trip:

WRC (Washington) August 28, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237301896[/MEDIA]

WUSA (Washington) August 28, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237298717[/MEDIA]

WWBT (Richmond) August 28, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237299605[/MEDIA]

WVIR (Charlottesville) August 28, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237299162[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 3

What was it with WABC and short-lived anchors from nearby markets in the 1970s? Larry Kane also joined the station for about a year in 1977 before heading back to Philadelphia.

Then Kane was replaced by Ernie Anastos, in what began his NYC career, and then Bill Beutel joined 11PM in 1989, and then by 1999 he was replaced by Bill Ritter.

• Like 2

WVIR (Charlottesville) August 28, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237299162[/MEDIA]

Now there's a station that's trapped in a time warp compared to your other uploads. They were using that same open (albeit as Channel 29) in 1993:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=HFIA_H4EjhA;m=6;s=28

A year later they finally replaced it with a more modern package that I can't find right now (in was in one of NewsActive3's compilations though)

• Like 2