Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

That KPHO open is "The Visionary" by Soundtrack. Not sure what the close could be.

Twas Chuck Mangione... Bellavia. I can tell you that this music was also used as a newscast close at sister Meredith station WNEM BayCity/Saginaw/Flint. I suspect when the GM of 'NEM was promoted to that position at KPHO, he also brought that music as a close with...

• Like 4

Why are you even posting there to begin with? Why not just use YouTube? (As far as I know there isn't a limit on how much you can upload....)

You could just put the full newscast on YouTube, as they'll let anybody upload anything. They don't even have that 10-minute limit anymore.

I chose Vimeo for several reason - mostly, I have better control over the content (quality, access, etc.). I've seen too many cases of entire histories of newscasts gone when someone gets kicked out of YouTube over content. Plus, I'm fed up with the ads all over YouTube. I'm paying for the hosting, so I can better manage the content.

If a question is raised, I can address it, rather than having a flat-out ban.

It's content I can control (in that it's stuff I recorded or was recorded specifically for me), and I feel that Vimeo provides the best option for my needs. Plus Vimeo flies a but under the radar, whereas YouTube is more "in your face". I'm not trying to monetize anything - just want to make the content available to fellow enthusiasts.

(Plus if I dumped everything at once, there'd be a giant productivity loss from y'all!)

Jim

• Like 6

I chose Vimeo for several reason - mostly, I have better control over the content (quality, access, etc.). I've seen too many cases of entire histories of newscasts gone when someone gets kicked out of YouTube over content. Plus, I'm fed up with the ads all over YouTube. I'm paying for the hosting, so I can better manage the content.

If a question is raised, I can address it, rather than having a flat-out ban.

It's content I can control (in that it's stuff I recorded or was recorded specifically for me), and I feel that Vimeo provides the best option for my needs. Plus Vimeo flies a but under the radar, whereas YouTube is more "in your face". I'm not trying to monetize anything - just want to make the content available to fellow enthusiasts.

(Plus if I dumped everything at once, there'd be a giant productivity loss from y'all!)

Jim

You could just put your raw footage on Google Drive or Dropbox, where people could just get add your files to their own drives. People don't get money from it and it's a better solution for your case.

Last thing from Phoenix for a while - I think I've gotten everything I can for the near term...

(I'm also on a business trip for a week, so I'll be posting pre-uploaded content through early next week...)

KPHO April 1994 - Fresh News!

[MEDIA=vimeo]237486605[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 5

Holy moly there's a lot to digest here.

That KNAZ open is just...bad.

Just wait until I post the KKTM newscast open and close... I've never seen a plywood set - where you can see the grain of the plywood... (That one may have to go onto YouTube...)

• Like 1

Last thing from Phoenix for a while - I think I've gotten everything I can for the near term...

(I'm also on a business trip for a week, so I'll be posting pre-uploaded content through early next week...)

Jim

How bout clips from florida? (enjoy your business trip)

• Like 2

Jim

I can't tell if there are two voiceovers -- they both sound like Beau Weaver.

It's almost too syrupy for Beau Weaver, but I think that's him.

Also, Carns and Powers on a Sunday night (that's May 1, 1994 BTW)? Very curious indeed. Did KPHO run their main anchor pairing Sun-Thu?

———

I figured it's worth noting just how much Arizona material we've gotten just in the last month. It's like a laundry list.

For KTVK, we got some material from as far back as 1981 and additional newscasts.

We cleaned house at KPHO and identified no less than three unknown generations of opens and two new NMSA entries. (The "News 5 Theme" from 1981-86 is really, really good!) The Visionary was a total surprise, and Fresh News was long awaited (and finally put in its proper time slot). We even got to see the Arizona 5-Minute News for the first time. It really struck me how, through 1994, KPHO was constantly a couple years behind the curve. No wonder they were having trouble in the early '90s — had KNXV Fox 15 News been able to go ahead as originally conceived, KPHO's news would have been blown out of the water almost immediately.

The KTSP/KSAZ material wasn't all new, but we finally got some vision on The Vision era — though I am going to be fiending for that image campaign. (Another excellent theme — and something I'd been waiting years to see.) And anything relating to the affiliation switch is gold to me.

For KPNX, the 1992 theme open finally showing up was a surprise, but the Real News search is on. Additional material from some eras of KPNX that don't show up often was a nice treat.

As for KNXV, the vintage promos and stuff are nice, but the only meat and potatoes KNXV I want to see is from 1994. Someone has to have recorded that first newscast — 43 stories in 33 minutes!

• Like 4

Rochester & Kalamazoo

WOKR (Rochester) August 26, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237301450[/MEDIA]

R News (Rochester) August 26, 1998 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237302784[/MEDIA]

WROC (Rochester) August 26, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237302313[/MEDIA]

WWMT (Kalamazoo) August 21, 1998 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]237300047[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 3

Yeah, sounds more like a parade march. I do hope that bigO playbax uploads more Omaha stuff, that's one of many markets with such rarities.

Anyway here's what they were using at KMTV back in 1982. Gotta love how the news open syncs up with "Production Music: Energy".