Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Here's the rest of what I have from my trip to the San Francisco Bay Area from July 1992: 3 Newscasts plus a compilation of the remaining "bits".

KNTV (San Jose/San Francisco, CA) July 16, 1992 11:00pm

I love this theme - very creative use of the song...

[MEDIA=vimeo]236325296[/MEDIA]

KTVU (Oakland/San Francisco, CA) July 16, 1992 10:00pm

The opening graphics were way ahead of their time...

[MEDIA=vimeo]236325735[/MEDIA]

KRON (San Francisco, CA) July 16, 1992 11:00pm

The 10pm News (late night repeat) during the "Early Prime" experiment.

[MEDIA=vimeo]236326291[/MEDIA]

Remainder Compilation - July 1992

Pardon the video from KSBW - the source video is crappy, but the music comes through and you can see enough to get an idea. Also, catch KICU as its own, separate from KTVU...

[MEDIA=vimeo]236329772[/MEDIA]

You're awesome!!!!!

KTVU (Oakland/San Francisco, CA) July 16, 1992 10:00pm

The opening graphics were way ahead of their time...

[MEDIA=vimeo]236325735[/MEDIA]

This exact open you posted on your site oh so long ago was the one that got me starting to love News Theme Music. That was about.. 13-15 years ago now.

Thanks for finally getting around to posting it in full! :-)

• Like 1

A KYW news brief with "Production Music: Newscenter"... pretty weird that there is abundant stuff from the early '80s of WCAU and WPVI but there's just this huge gap between 1980 and 1986 for KYW.

Ah yes, the early 80's was the period when KYW was deep in the ratings basement following the break-up of it's 'dream team' (Jones, Leonard, Savitch & Weissinger) and the notorious "Direct Connection" flop (nicknamed by many locals as "disco-news).

Here's a newsbreak from early in 1982, when the station brought back the "007 Takes The Lektor" theme used by Group W stations during the 60's & 70's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=jreV7Ux0l3A;m=15;s=10

By May of that year, the station moved it's newscasts back into a news set, and began using And You (as used at fellow Group W station KPIX):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=z45gfXNDIE4;m=11;s=16

KNTV's "Do You Know The Way to San Jose". Sensational Theme. And I haven't heard the closing theme in a long time since it was posted on Jim's TVNewsThemes.net website.

In the early 2000s I was in possession of a CD with many of the tracks from this great KNTV package. Was doing a project for work and reached out to the composer from Silvertree about licensing it for internal use. He sent along the demo CD of the package along with a price that included the license fee for Dionne - which wasn't off the reservation.

Had that jazzy early 90s nightime version of it along with the full 1987 close and the full 1991 close for the early evening newscasts. Was missing some of the bumpers from the original 1987 package though.

Unfortunately, returned it per his instructions after we went a different direction on the project and he has since passed away. So no idea where it might be archived anymore.

ABC's Weekend Report, 1982 (I wonder when the World News Tonight brand was extended to the weekend):

ABC's Weekend Report was the 15-minute late night newscast offered by the network at that time. It was axed in the early 1990s, but I don't remember very well when.

• Like 1

ABC's Weekend Report was the 15-minute late night newscast offered by the network at that time. It was axed in the early 1990s, but I don't remember very well when.

Ah, that makes sense! I thought it was the generic title of all their weekend newscasts.

• Like 2

With all of the focus on Central Arizona, I needed to throw in a few Northern Arizona pieces!

(And for the 7 of you who already found the newscasts, they have been "fixed", if you understand what I mean...)

KNAZ (Flagstaff, AZ) May 2, 1994 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]236521035[/MEDIA]

KNAZ (Flagstaff, AZ) March 24, 1995 6:00pm (Same Graphics, Different Theme)

[MEDIA=vimeo]236521364[/MEDIA]

KVBC (Las Vegas, NV) May 3, 1994 5:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]236521639[/MEDIA]

KXAS (Dallas/Ft. Worth) December 22, 1991 10:00pm (Sunday night 20 minute sportsless newscast).

[MEDIA=vimeo]236521889[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 4

Ooh, that WHP/KLBK theme. It wasn't phased out until 1999. When Gannett bought KNAZ, they instituted a new logo and graphics and shipped KPNX's previous set to Flagstaff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9AviilIGZQ

Ultimately, it was replaced with Power News.

Much better graphics...

knaz_gfx.jpg.537dcb3e09149bc4790fa0e97ad6b059.jpg

And I see that NewsActive3 has posted the KNAZ May 2, 1994 newscast... Hmmm... Out of courtesy to the original "owners" of newscasts, I have no plans to post any newscasts that were traded for (unless they were original off-air specifically for me, and not a copy of a copy...). That being said, if I post something that was generated by someone else, please let me know and I'll take it down...

Jim

A WOWT ID from 1982 using the tail end of the movie intro music from the Field Communications stations, leading into about 10 minutes of CBS Nightwatch.

Keep an eye on the uploader's channel. I have a hunch some rare Omaha goodies are about to come from it!

That '95 KNAZ clip...were their studios by a rail line or something? I swear I can hear a train horn in the background at the beginning of the show. Guess they couldn't afford much soundproofing for their building...

Meanwhile, off to Spokane we go, for KREM in 1996. Note the music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=NlnXJRYFT2Y;t=2

And a little later in the year, it seems that KXLY had already gone to Counterpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=P5eRDAbK-Hw;m=3;s=12

And finally, from Portland, some...odd usage of the Fisher sounder, and a slogan so bad it absorbed the station ID!

• Like 1