Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

We've been doing so well finding clips this weekend, I thought I'd add one more. A WVTM open from 1988 using the same graphics & music as KDFW, KTBC, and KTVI around that time period. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=bPprq8HM1_w;m=24;s=1

That's quite a find - Yours Truly on WVTM! And from Mr. NMSA's home market.

Finally found WDEF's version of the 1997 MG package (you'll have to click the link and watch on YT): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h=3;id=zx4H7N4yjfs;m=15;s=29

Same 'cloud' set backdrop as WNCT had at the time.

• Like 3

The KTVK video is pretty good. The days when local TV actually aired major college football games...

That sponsor bumper is pretty familiar-sounding, too...

I know the track is called "Power Surge," I think it's a Network Music piece... it's best known as the Buffalo Bills music during the 90's on ESPN NFL Primetime.

Also, pretty cool to hear Tim Healey on the ASU-UCLA 1992 broadcast... that TV gig helped him land the Voice of the Sun Devils, which he still does today.

Anyone know more about this 6:30 p.m. newscast from KPNX? The promo is vaguely KTVK-like in style.

From what I could find on Newspapers.com, "12 News Now" was very short lived, as by February of 93, Bill Cosby's You Bet Your Life was in it's place, and when that was cancelled, A Current Affair, the show which 12 News Now replaced, took it's time slot.

• Like 1

Anyone know more about this 6:30 p.m. newscast from KPNX? The promo is vaguely KTVK-like in style.

That's the first thing I thought of. "This almost sounds like something 3 would do!"

And this is the first time I've heard the "full" Pinnacle newsbreak cut. It's good. Really reinforces the idea suggested by the original name: Round the Clock News.

The KPNX newsbreak is also interesting: it features The Coast theme (used with the apparently second generation of TVbD graphics) with the next generation's graphics package.

And then there are these sung ID tags for KNXV...

• Like 1

Time for some Grand Rapids, Michigan!

WOTV (Grand Rapids, MI) May 9, 1992 11pm - Before the call letter switch on June 1, 1992 back to WOOD TV 8

[MEDIA=vimeo]234259154[/MEDIA]

WOOD (Grand Rapids, MI) September 24, 1992 6:30am - After the call letter switch... (WOTV calls were moved to the former WUHQ in Battle Creek)

[MEDIA=vimeo]234258557[/MEDIA]

WZZM (Grand Rapids, MI) September 23, 1992 6pm - No changes here (well, the logo did change over the summer...)

[MEDIA=vimeo]234260380[/MEDIA]

Enjoy your week!

Jim

• Like 3

NEWS 5!

From 1986, but the PATCO striking workers in the open indicate 4-5 years of additional use beforehand! (it cannot be older than 1981)

As to the theme? Late last year I did find this 1984 item from The Arizona Republic...

BUD: Could you tell me the name of the beautiful theme music on [KPHO] Channel 5's 9:30 p.m. news? Nancy Uhlo, Glendale

NANCY: You won't find the opening theme music at your favorite record store. It was produced specifically for News 5 at Pantheon Recording Studio in Paradise Valley. The title? "News 5 Theme, I suppose," said promotion director Greg Brannan.

• Like 1

That music has shown up in a promo before (don't remember where that is). Nice to finally see the open! It definitely is a really good one...one of the few I've seen where the "streak" design motif age well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=JkwzWLUa0_4;m=1;s=40

The next theme was in use by July 1987. There's a comment on one of Jim Heath's KPHO videos:

"Some of the various opening themes used during this era were:

*1981-82 (approx.)—funky bass open, main melody played by electric-guitar vibrato chords

*1982-83—trumpet-based theme, with string bridge [quite clearly this theme]

*approx. 1986-92—just a short musical stinger for the open: a bass and electric piano riff, ending with a synth crescendo [NMSA "KPHO 1988]"

This would have been bookended by Part of Your Life in the late 70s/early 80s (used by all the Meredith stations) and Signature, which probably debuted in 1992.

———

And a dash of Tampa news promos:

• Like 2

We take you to 1989 and WBOC-TV where we feature a set of commercials. At 6:22 into the video, a WBOC-TV bumper is shown and the theme they used at the time was Tuesday's "WNDU 1986 News Theme". Now, if a news open can only be found, this would get interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N0QU_RygAI

Oh wait...I did find a WBOC news open from sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s. My guess is that they used a cut from Tuesday's "WNDU 1986 News Theme" to open its noon news.

One more piece of WBOC material, a clip from a 1985 newscast with an unknown theme. Bumper is heard at :10 and closing theme is heard at 3:25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udILX0jknIQ

• Like 2

That is definitely the noon cut from WNDU 1986 — I mean, really should be WKRC 1985 — I mean, I think it was called News Beat but we can't confirm that.

The 1985 close cut sounds like the instrumental to a sung image campaign of some sort. The slogan at the time was "Delmarva Spirit".

Here's another close from 1982:

And a joke news open with Meco's Theme:

And remember when Major League Baseball almost contracted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHS_U1gOoo0

• Like 2