Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

[quote name='ChesapeakeTV']Interesting...so Fresh News came [I]after[/I] Signature? Paging @Raymie to explain...[/QUOTE] Well this makes more sense now... [QUOTE]“Channel 5 also introduced new music, new graphics and a new set Monday” (Arizona Republic March 1, 1994)[/QUOTE] ———————— And it's back to channel 10 we go... *eagle screech* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnPAApOR7Cw
  • Like 3

So I'm assuming this ran concurrently with the "Nightcast" theme? I'd assume so judging by the teaser at 26:27

Yes. This is what could properly be called KTSP's "The Vision" era (that was their station slogan) and was the final hurrah of the NewsCenter 10 name. (They also had an image campaign, similarly barely documented, to go with it. We know about eight words of the song thanks to a 1989 article on Shelly Jamison's firing: "Look to the vision, the vision of today".)

"The Vision" (and the corresponding opens and new set) debuted in 1989, as the Valley's traditional news leader suddenly found that KTVK had zoomed ahead. There's a post in here comparing KTSP to KTVK at this time:

BTW, note how similar KTSP (top) and KTVK (bottom) looked in the early 1990s, when both stations were "big 3" affiliates. This is especially interesting considering that they looked completely different a few years later, when the former became a Fox O&O, and the latter an independent:

ktsp-ktvk-90s-1a_zps1d57793a.png

The station updated its sunset 10 logo for the first time — this one used primarily in orange and shared with WTSP, which also took the "NewsCenter 10" branding from its Phoenix sister as it worked to put its computer hacking scandal in the rear-view mirror.

KTSP's station voice in The Vision era was Al Vanik, who was based in Phoenix. It was his first TV voiceover work — channel 10 had hired him in 1987, but it wasn't until going to The Vision that he was on the news opens. He had previously done two years at KOY.

The Vision was put to bed by March 1992, and so was NewsCenter 10 (and Nightcast). In its place, KTSP ditched orange for sky blue, made the 10 larger in its logo, commissioned a new music package from 615 originally called "Round the Clock News" (more famously known as Pinnacle), and began branding as Channel 10 News.

• Like 1

While looking around on YouTube, here is a rare clip of "WM News" in the form of morning news briefs with former anchor Jill Valley. The theme was also used on WESH for its newscasts in the early to mid 1980s. A news open is seen at 0:14.

That's rare. In case you don't realize what station that is, it's the NBC Montana station system headed by KECI. (Jill Valley went to KPAX by the early '90s and remained there.)

I wonder if this is the real Tuesday9 or the Telesound NBC affiliate package? My guess, based on the market size, is the latter... (Especially given the dates we're talking!)

The promos are also good. That NBC-ABC primetime lineup (complete with 11pm late news!) is one heck of a relic. That's gotta be from May 1989, because of the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar retirement special (from NBC).

For some reason there was a vintage KPHO open from early 1986 that got posted by the same user, but it got taken down.

Also I hope that channel uploads some KPNX from 1992-93, that's another Phoenix rarity right there.

He's been having audio encoding issues and has had to reupload a few videos. There was a commercial missing its sound entirely.

Seconded on the KPNX part. I really, really want that "Your Choice for Real Life, Real News in the 90s" open.

• Like 4

Since we're already on a KSAZ kick...here's some Fox 10 News from 2005. This was the package that debuted Fusion News and only lasted a year or a year and a half until the O&O look was created.

Features John Hook and Kari Lake, along with Yetta Gibson (now of KTVK/KPHO) and Marc Martinez (now the weeknight 10pm anchor).

• Like 2

Five more to get you through the weekend...

WGAL (Lancaster, PA) September 19, 1992 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]233244185[/MEDIA]

WHTM (Harrisburg, PA) September 19, 1992 7:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]233244834[/MEDIA]

WHP (Harrisburg, PA) September 19, 1992 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]233244476[/MEDIA]

WAAY (Huntsville, AL) June 20, 1991, 6:30am - this one is missing part of the middle, but has a nice long NewsSeries 2001 close...

[MEDIA=vimeo]233245151[/MEDIA]

WKRN (Nashville, TN) August 24, 1991 5:30pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]233245383[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 5

From November 2004, the first KYW newscast with their WNBC-esque Pyburn Films package. Plus I let the recording go over at the end, so you get to see some WPVI circa 2004:

I was on TVNT at the time, lurking. Probably one of the last package sets ever associated with a particular designer by name.

Looking back, the lower thirds especially were...cheap.

• Like 2

From November 2004, the first KYW newscast with their WNBC-esque Pyburn Films package. Plus I let the recording go over at the end, so you get to see some WPVI circa 2004:

November 8th, based on the football coverage. I noticed the question mark in the title.

I wonder if this is the real Tuesday9 or the Telesound NBC affiliate package? My guess, based on the market size, is the latter... (Especially given the dates we're talking!)

Actually, that sounds like Tuesday9 to me. In fact, this may be the first clip of a non-WESH station actually using it, and not the Telesound NBC stations package that it seems to have copied off of.

• Like 2

...And it's time for Arizona 5 News at 6:

Fun fact: when this newscast aired in 1997, KPHO was using the slogan "Local, Live, Late-Breaking," while KNXV was using "Live, Local Late-Breaking."

BTW, unusual to have chopper coverage on a Saturday.

• Like 1

Fun fact: when this newscast aired in 1997, KPHO was using the slogan "Local, Live, Late-Breaking," while KNXV was using "Live, Local Late-Breaking."

BTW, unusual to have chopper coverage on a Saturday.

Would be nice to see some KNXV from this era, too... Then again, given what's been uncovered, who knows.

• Like 2