Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Tampa/St. Pete news previews from 1983. The first from WTSP, which had a very dull (newsroom?) set going. This does confirm their "Stay in Touch with 10" theme did start in 1983:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=Nt2f-PgTIac;m=8;s=36

This one from WXFL and the legendary Bill Ratliff at the anchor desk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=p8LDq0wNj28;m=9;s=7

This does confirm their "Stay in Touch with 10" theme did start in 1983:

Speaking of that, I'm really shocked that there isn't anything really from the "Take a Look" era of WTSP (1979-83). The only known footage of 10 from that era is this 8-second clip from early 1983 about Jon Crane's arrival:

If you listen closely you can hear Take a Look in the background.

• Like 1

Alan Henry, who was president of Gulf Broadcast Group and oversaw WTSP's turnaround in that era, dedicated an entire chapter of a book about his career to WTSP and what a "dog" WLCY-TV was and how the Rahall's had the worst reputation in broadcast TV. The new ownership invested a ton of money turning around the station. He said that they invested in a first class image for the station's on-air look. I'd love to see the opens/image promos.

But I can't get over how spartan their set was! I think the "newsroom" is actually fake.

Tampa/St. Pete news previews from 1983. The first from WTSP, which had a very dull (newsroom?) set going. This does confirm their "Stay in Touch with 10" theme did start in 1983:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=Nt2f-PgTIac;m=8;s=36

This one from WXFL and the legendary Bill Ratliff at the anchor desk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=p8LDq0wNj28;m=9;s=7

More WFLA/WXFL news update clips from the early-mid 80s The Spirit of Tampa Bay era and still no clear news open outside of the short 1982 Noon Open and a short clip of a Spring 1985 open from a few years ago. About WTSP and the Stay In Touch with 10 campaign, there is an open on YT from January 1983, the week of Super Bowl XVII which was erroneously marked as 1985 that had SITW10, so it's possible they were in a transition with themes just like WXFL was in early Fall 1985 when they were transitioning to Power News and their Editorials still had TSoTB graphics and theme.

More WFLA/WXFL news update clips from the early-mid 80s The Spirit of Tampa Bay era and still no clear news open outside of the short 1982 Noon Open and a short clip of a Spring 1985 open from a few years ago. About WTSP and the Stay In Touch with 10 campaign, there is an open on YT from January 1983, the week of Super Bowl XVII which was erroneously marked as 1985 that had SITW10, so it's possible they were in a transition with themes just like WXFL was in early Fall 1985 when they were transitioning to Power News and their Editorials still had TSoTB graphics and theme.

I think we're missing a generation of opens from right after the callsign change, personally.

• Like 1

More 90s Goodness!

KDFW (Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX) November 6, 1992 5:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]232753589[/MEDIA]

KHTV (Houston, TX) August 27, 1990 7:00pm - First Newscast of the new news department!

[MEDIA=vimeo]232754002[/MEDIA]

KHTV (Houston, TX) August 27, 1990 11:00pm - The attempt at an 11:00pm newscast...

[MEDIA=vimeo]232754401[/MEDIA]

KREX (Grand Junction, CO) March 25, 1995 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]232754795[/MEDIA]

WKTV (Utica, NY) May 23, 1993 12:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]232755212[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

Rare stuff here. Incredible find.

KREX (Grand Junction, CO) March 25, 1995 10:00pm

I also have a KJCT newscast from that same date. It's coming soon.

For all interested, I've "fixed" the settings for the first set of videos available - those who understand will know what I mean...

Jim

• Like 1

I also have a KJCT newscast from that same date. It's coming soon.

For all interested, I've "fixed" the settings for the first set of videos available - those who understand will know what I mean...

Jim

Thanks very much for posting these, Jim. Any vintage newscasts from New Orleans/Baton Rouge?

• Like 1