Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

The hits keep on coming! No Phoenix news material but the KNXV promos are a nice bonus and the regional Satellite News Channel stuff is pretty darn rare.

I'll see what I can find in my archives from Phoenix - definitely have some 90s KNAZ coming soon. (Unfortunately nothing new can be uploaded until Monday...)

Jim

A few to tide y'all over for the long weekend.

KBTX (Bryan/College Station, TX) September 27, 1991 5pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]231366179[/MEDIA]

KRBC (Abilene, TX) August 27, 1992 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]231366686[/MEDIA]

KTAB (Abilene, TX) August 27, 1992 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]231367339[/MEDIA]

KVUE (Austin, TX) September 28. 1991 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]231367884[/MEDIA]

Happy Labor Day!

Jim

• Like 1

See if you can find any KPNX from 1992-93 -- that era is RARE!

I'm digging... Right now, I have 32 cases, each with 10 DVDs (3-4 newscasts per DVD) sitting on the desk to migrate from DVD to a Hard Drive. I've been through 12 (not in the 32 above) already - a nice tedious process, but when all is said and done, I'll have everything stored (at least) 4 ways: CD/DVD, Server Storage, Upload to Vimeo, and external hard drive (which will probably end up at my parents), and a possible second one elsewhere for safekeeping... Now the question - do I upgrade my Vimeo account so that I can upload more than 5GB/week? (about 10-11 videos...) More are in boxes...

Update: just found another 34 cases in a box upstairs... Lots of newscasts!!!!

J

• Like 4

KVUE did a pretty good job of tailoring Collier Concepts' Promise News Package for use in Austin (even though the theme still screams Washington)

You know what was even better? The mid-90s opens with an animation across the Texas State Capitol:

• Like 1

Things are very poorly labeled. This is actually Jon Fox's broadcast demo from 1990 which includes the WTVJ and WNBC redesign reels, plus KHOU, KOVR, KIRO and a KPNX "Town Hall"

There are two KOVR opens in there; the first, at 1:36, is extremely rare, and the graphics package has been discussed in another post here. Does anyone know if the full open is out there somewhere?

hey I'm in need to finding a video about khj. the video used to be about how khj became kcal with "probably" its last newscast before the switch (which also included the promo kcal used back in the early 90s). does anyone still have that video, or is the video considered lost?

yeah i think neither of you know what i'm saying.

• Like 1

My goodness! The material from Randy Dunford is indeed rare. Am hoping he has more rare stuff. Anyway, here is a WYTV news close from 1982 using TM's "The Best Things in Life". NOTE: This is not the WWL version, but a different one if I am not mistaken.

There's more. Here is a video combo worth sharing. We first see the sign-off of KNBN-TV, the SIN (now Univision) affiliate for Dallas. Then, we take you to the sign-on of KRLD-TV, an independent station, which was brought by Metromedia which includes the first moments of its inaugural 7pm newscast. The theme they used in the ID/news open is Gari's "Newschannel".

We take you back to 1989 where we feature a WAKA-TV weather update with Lisa Gurevitch.

Here's a WWLP newscast from 1988.

Commercials, etc. from WAVY in January 1995. This is the earliest I've seen Newswire appear... not sure when the switch from The Team/Wall to Wall happened, but it may have been for the new year.

Also included at 2:28 is a promo for the WAVY News 10 weekend team - featuring a production music track that is

!
  • Like 2