Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

A collection of opens from all the "Big Three" stations in Omaha, circa early '90s. Includes an unknown KMTV theme.

I love those first three KMTV opens. I've been wanting to see those since I saw a tease left after a Jeopardy! episode posted on YouTube. The musical signatures don't seem to match any of the known news music composers, but rather that of Nebraska's own Chip Davis of Mannheim Steamroller.

• Like 4

I love those first three KMTV opens. I've been wanting to see those since I saw a tease left after a Jeopardy! episode posted on YouTube. The musical signatures don't seem to match any of the known news music composers, but rather that of Nebraska's own Chip Davis of Mannheim Steamroller.

That's gotta be it!

SESAC lists Chip Davis of Mannheim Steamroller as having done a news theme and other on-air music for KSHB. ...

There are also SESAC records of news themes by Davis for KMGH and KMTV. Maybe the KMTV 1990 clip in the last page [unfortunately no longer on YT] is his theme? (I dunno what KMGH theme could have been his - the 1989 one?)

• Like 3

And that's not all...here is KATU's "Eyewitness News" from 1975.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdDe4yMMEhI

Plus, here is KENS 5 "Eyewitness News" from 1989 with Kym Benson.

I do not know if this has been shared, but here is some classic KMOL "NewsCenter 4" from 1981 featuring current WATE Knoxville anchor Lori Tucker.

Anyone catch the sports guy's name? I couldn't make it out.

I did some digging, and his name is Roger Cawthon. I guess he did the evening sports between Brad Face and Scott Cash.

There's not a whole lot about his time at WVEC, but he's now a building contractor in Virginia Beach.

• Like 1

CM Sloan, one of the first major uploaders of news opens, has new content for the first time in more than six years, with this WPEC open being the best new piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxJqtzkNWRk

Either he got rid of it fast for some reason or he is going to upload it to his cmsload2002 channel which has a bunch of new South Florida news videos. Mostly from 1989 and 1990.

Things are very poorly labeled. This is actually Jon Fox's broadcast demo from 1990 which includes the WTVJ and WNBC redesign reels, plus KHOU, KOVR, KIRO and a KPNX "Town Hall" open:

WPTV on Christmas Day 1989:

That KOTV 1991 newscast in full:

Edit: A WRBL *reel* with an unidentified news theme! This one is bizarre. Apparently WRBL presented their news in the early 90s in front of a green screen. Also, Rece Davis!

The elements in this reel appear to come from a newscast around May 3, 1992.

• Like 1

No open, but WYFF in 1984 on the solar eclipse.

Also a KOCO raw clip of weatherman Chris Lee shows what their first Gannett era logo looked like at the beginning (this isn't the "Death Star" ident, which I'm still trying to search for).