Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

One of the rarest markets on YT: Wausau, Wisconsin! A chunk of WJFW from 1992...

Yes, that's the WVII theme. WVII and WJFW were co-owned by Seaway Communications at this time (and are still sister stations).

Also...this KBCI 30th anniversary (!) special from 1986. The description says 1983 but there is a background clip using News 88 (yeah, not 1983) and several "33 Years" bumpers at the end.

Any 60fps video is worth posting:

• Like 1

One of the rarest markets on YT: Wausau, Wisconsin! A chunk of WJFW from 1992...

Yes, that's the WVII theme. WVII and WJFW were co-owned by Seaway Communications at this time (and are still sister stations).

Note the background behind that bumper at 1:48 - it's from a (presumably) syndicated graphics pack

, among others. (WVII also used it, but not in their opens.)

EDIT: That video also took me to this - The Image Leader!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=bzIxqfhTs0E;m=5;s=5

WBBM 10pm news, 2003. I don't think I quite realized it at the time, but I think WBBM's mid-2000s look is really sharp. I was never a huge fan of that open, that cut of the Enforcer (sorry!), or the bug, but everything else about it (lower thirds, OTS, fullscreens) is very well-executed. It seems like the later update to this look around 2006-ish may have inspired the well-liked WBZ look, too.

I think you could plop this look on almost any station today (with adjustments for widescreen, of course) and it would still look great. I don't think the same could be said of their expensive HD-era Hothaus look.

WCVB in 1979...at last, the original And You open is seen in use!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=2gVwlOaybrQ;m=10;s=33

There's also this gem - KIMA Newsbeat in 1981. Get a load of the music - the incredibly funky "Free Yourself, Be Yourself" by The Brothers Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=VWkpuohs2rg;m=2;s=51

• Like 2

A KPNX documentary from 1979 about their news helicopter, piloted by the great Jerry Foster. This confirms that they changed their call letters in 1979 (FCCInfo.com states the call letter change occurred April 14, 1980 as well as Wikipedia at one point)

• Like 1

A KPNX documentary from 1979 about their news helicopter, piloted by the great Jerry Foster. This confirms that they changed their call letters in 1979 (FCCInfo.com states the call letter change occurred April 14, 1980 as well as Wikipedia at one point)

Oh yeah, it was '79. It occurred when Combined Communications sold to Gannett and had to split the radio stations.

There's also a cut of It's All Right Here used as background music.

A word of warning: there's some loud encoding static in parts. Watch your ears.

———

Also...WTHI in 1988...snooooooze...

KVEW's Northwest Nightcast in 1995...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=HfMTNA4IhYw;t=761

You might have seen this before, but the fact that this John Christopher Burns piece is now known to not actually be from the 1994 WYFF pack (which was just two weeks away from debuting at this point) is interesting. (Also note the older WYFF logo!)

• Like 2

Did WYFF keep the JCBD graphics when they switched to Primetime News?

Also KMGH from 1985 (transitional period: they started using "Turn To News" but they still have the "News 7" branding and Roger Thompson):

You can see some small promos at 2:01 and 15:01, as well as a news break at the end.

The Yakima fire inspector filed an appeal about a reprimand letter from the city, the South Korean president has been assassinated and 250 Washingtonians are there on a tour, and Ellensburg will get a major clothing manufacturer. That and more in KAPP's Actionews...for October 26, 1979!

• Like 1

I've always wanted to know, who is that voiceover that has done VOs for stations such as WHO-TV, KWWL, and WQAD?

One thing I do know, he must be Iowa-based. He also has done other non-Iowa stations like KTVB and KLAS.

His first VO appearance was KFVS, I believe. I've been searching for years.

He hasn't done VO work in years and could no longer be with us.

A We're the Team promo set...for WRC, the original client!

Another WRC promo, this time from 1980... "We Can't Wait to Show You!" (You can hear how this tagline was worked into the We're the Team promos.)

And the highest-quality cut you'll get of WRC 1986:

Did WMAQ ever use this?

• Like 1

A We're the Team promo set...for WRC, the original client!

And there it is, the proof for the hypothesis I had after the Tuesday KNBC pack turned out to be unrelated to NewsCenter II...they were, after all, the earliest users of the theme (if you go by the NMSA anyway).

Another WRC promo, this time from 1980... "We Can't Wait to Show You!" (You can hear how this tagline was worked into the We're the Team promos.)

This has got to be the cheesiest campaign I've heard in a long while...probably a good reason we've never seen any off-air recordings of it in use. Yeesh.

Did WMAQ ever use this?

Yes they did, and even earlier than the description says:

That animation was a bit ahead of its time, to be sure (a stark contrast to the minimalist approach WMAQ would take a few years later).