Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

KLTV 1985 really sounds like something from Dallas. Not sure who though. TM? VTS (who recorded their music in Dallas)?

That KLTV 1985 clip is certainly an interesting mix. You also have Bill Meeks' "Spirit of Oklahoma" from KWTV on the IDs (no relation to the KOTV "Spirit of Oklahoma"). And the animation looks very similar to WFAA's "Spirit of Texas" ID animations (though whether it's the same production house, I have no idea).

I also wonder if KLTV is related to the mystery music KXAS used for news tease IDs in 1983. I've seen IDs both saying "5 Action News" and "5 News", but no actual newscast footage from '83 has yet surfaced. That music is too short for me to make a judgment, but it is one of the first things I think of when I hear KLTV 1985 (it has an almost identical 3-note statement at one point).

Of course, the first thing I think of when I hear KLTV 1985 is News '80s, which it resembles (but definitely isn't).

Yeah, it definitely has an immediate "I've heard something like it before" vibe.

• Like 1

Exquisite: a KSDK "Sports Plus" with Mike Bush from 1996. This sounds like an add-on to Prime News, does it not?

This, however, is a little different. In June 2002, all seemed ready to go for Fox to bring viewers the Cardinals and Cubs from Wrigley Field. Suddenly, a delay is announced. As viewers watch the other games, the news breaks in the top of the second inning: Darryl Kile has committed suicide. KTVI runs a local crawl informing viewers of the breaking news and the game's cancellation. When the top of the inning ends, KTVI breaks in with a brief update. In the bottom of the inning, all national viewers are sent to Chicago to learn of the news as Joe Girardi informs fans at Wrigley Field.

The Fox baseball coverage also features tributes after the recent death of Jack Buck.

A fascinating look at how coverage of a very sad baseball event (something I still very much remember) was handled by Fox Sports and by KTVI.

Exquisite: a KSDK "Sports Plus" with Mike Bush from 1996. This sounds like an add-on to Prime News, does it not?

This, however, is a little different. In June 2002, all seemed ready to go for Fox to bring viewers the Cardinals and Cubs from Wrigley Field. Suddenly, a delay is announced. As viewers watch the other games, the news breaks in the top of the second inning: Darryl Kile has committed suicide. KTVI runs a local crawl informing viewers of the breaking news and the game's cancellation. When the top of the inning ends, KTVI breaks in with a brief update. In the bottom of the inning, all national viewers are sent to Chicago to learn of the news as Joe Girardi informs fans at Wrigley Field.

The Fox baseball coverage also features tributes after the recent death of Jack Buck.

A fascinating look at how coverage of a very sad baseball event (something I still very much remember) was handled by Fox Sports and by KTVI.

Darryl Kile didn't die of suicide, he died of a heart attack from drug use.

• Like 2

From NewsActive3, this was a clip from a 1995 ABC World News Now following the death of longtime WABC anchor Roger Grimsby where excerpts of an April 1970 Eyewitness News broadcast were shown (as an added bonus, we get a very rare shot of Howard Cosell at WABC)

• Like 2

This WDVM report from 1984 has a guy named Paul Anthony doing the weather. Is this the same Paul Anthony who did the announcing for stations like KXAS, WLNE and WISH-TV? His voice does sound similar (albeit a bit deeper than the announcing).

This WDVM report from 1984 has a guy named Paul Anthony doing the weather. Is this the same Paul Anthony who did the announcing for stations like KXAS, WLNE and WISH-TV? His voice does sound similar (albeit a bit deeper than the announcing).

Definitely. He's based in the DC area, he announced Washington Week on PBS for long time.