Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

WHTM in 1993:

Just gotta say, I love how it starts out with that 1992-93ish ABC Sports close that I love so dearly. Is that Edd Kalehoff? I'm pretty damned sure it is... I would give a kidney for a clean listen of this, I really would.

• Like 2

[MEDIA=dailymotion]x5up8t[/MEDIA]

A news open from WBAL during their short-lived era of using "Third Coast". This was taken shortly after the switch to NBC. The news graphics are similar to WUAB and WOIO's from the time. Obviously this would all be gone very soon when Hearst rolled out new mandated graphics.

• Like 4

That is some rare KOIN news footage from 1980. The theme they used was "On Top of It All", not "Part of Your Life".

I don't know if this has been shared or not, but here is a rare look at KTVT's daily newscast from 1981! They aired this newscast during the midday hours, but these days, KTVT, as a CBS affiliate, airs more local news than what they did back then.

That's not all...Mike Seidel of The Weather Channel has uploaded some rare videos of his work on WYFF. I'll post only a couple.

First, here is a WYFF weekend weathercast he did on May 18th, 1986. The news anchor is Alta Snell.

And next, here is a WYFF Decision '86 election promo featuring Carl Clark (formerly of KHQ-TV Spokane) and Carol (Anderson) Goldsmith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHJlY4h3D-E

TEN10 Sydney 1979 ("Come up to TEN", fly past Channel 2, 7 and 9)

Eyewitness News w/Rob McNeil, Ron Wilson 1980

You can feel the U-Matic with the first clip ;)

• Like 1

A WXIA open from 1983 during the "Hello News" days. Very mind-blowing open that was later copied by former sister station KARK in Little Rock. However, sadly, this open would only last a year before Television by Design came calling.

Was KXAS the first station to use those graphics? Or WSOC?

KXAS had them by April 1987, but by then they were in use elsewhere (WJKS, WHTM). I do not think KXAS debuted them until the new NBC peacock was rolled out.

There is a lean toward NBC affiliates in the roster, but not totally.

WLS 4pm Eyewitness News w/ Joel Daily, Linda Yu, Jerry Taft & Jim Rose (Taft & Rose still there Yu, retired last year)

And Joel Daly is kept in the basement with the old set pieces and blue circle 7 blazers.