Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

From NewsActive3's channel; here's roughly 2 hours of NBC's 1978 midterm election night coverage (to my knowledge at least; this is the earliest midterm election night footage of a substantial amount I've run across)

Part 1 (just over an hour an a half):

[url=

&t=1354s][/url]

Part 2 (around 33 minutes):

While checking out YouTube, I recently encounter rare WTVO footage from 1987. In 1984, WTVO's newscasts were known as "Newswatch 17". In 1987, WTVO's newscasts at the time were "News 17". Here is a clip of WTVO's "News 17" featuring a news close at 3:42 with an unknown theme playing.

I immediately recognized that WTVO end theme; it's "The Ace of Swords" by The Alan Parsons Project.

That song was used for football recaps on some newscasts of the era, but this is the first time I've ever heard it used as a theme.

KING's Almost Live had skits sometimes that parodied news.

And from time to time, they went and parodied their competitors.

KIRO comes out of the box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzjatjrOYjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=DvxExuSOC7w;t=43

From September 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUHEe2HTeAE

Sometimes they went after their own station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdPmwJBhBQA

• Like 1

Weekend newscast from KCST (now KNSD) in San Diego during the days of "NewsCenter 39". Here we have a young Carlos Amezcua (later of KTLA & KTTV in L.A.) doing the news. There is also a Storer logo bumper at the end with the "39 Alive" logo, which probably hasn't even been seen on YouTube yet!

KPHO as they became CBS in 96-97

Speaking of Arizona, this is a KPNX tribute to reporter Rick DeBruhl. An ID in the video at 1:45 shows that channel 12 also used the "Alive" branding Combined Communications used back in the '70s. A morning news open from '83 is also shown.

• Like 1

WAKC 1993 is a production track from Toby Arnold and Associates. I forget what the title is, but it was in their "The Ultimate" library. You could audition it on their website up until very recently, but I just went to go do so and they seem to have removed everything from "The Ultimate" not too long ago (they just started updating again this year, the site seemed to be stagnant for a long time). KAVU 1989 and WMDN 2000 were also in that library. I wish I had saved them, but I had no idea they'd be going away (and I was trying to figure out if they had been retitled before submitting to NMSA, since KAVU 1989 was referred to as "70s TV" but I have a rip of it from an earlier CD, from The Production Bank instead of The Ultimate, where it just carries the title "TV".)

A KSAZ tour from the mid-90s! Holy Spirit of Arizona! This is a must-watch for anyone who wants to see how a mid-90s major market TV station operates (it shows pretty much the entire station!).

Plus it's been converted to 60fps!

Judging by the 10 News branding and a graphic for "Tragedy in the Everglades" (the ValuJet crash), this is from 1996.

At 17:56 are some "Fox 10 News" graphics with the O in Fox replaced by the sunset 10, and following it is a show of the graphics computer with a trove of unused KSAZ logo concepts. The wheels were clearly in motion for the rebrand.

• Like 7