Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

From Lansing, Michigan's WILX, here is a reel of news opens from 1981 with an unknown theme. Voiceover sounds like the same person that did it for WPXI in the early-80's.

From 1980 (not 1979), a promo with Magic Johnson welcoming Tim Staudt to the sports team. He's still at WILX. Electro Phantasma theme.

[MEDIA=vimeo]77741362[/MEDIA]

I feel like I've heard it before... Seems to be a descendant of KTVU 1977!

I thought so myself... glad I'm not the only one who thought that!

From 1979, here was a news special from WVIT on the Tornado in Windsor Locks, CT which might actually be the same theme as the WILX video (EDIT: It's a match of the theme in Part 3 of the video, how about that?). I'm doubting that WVIT used "The News Image" during that time, in light of new evidence from a trade publication that Tuesday didn't begin offering it until 1981. I'll have to find that page in link it at some point.

• Like 5

EyeOnTV's back; among his additions, this, the first real artifact of the 1988 affiliate switch in Knoxville.

The only video related to this event up until now was...this. Now, at the end of this parable, there was implication that WBIR had made a big mistake ending their long-standing partnership with CBS in order to hook up with NBC, now coated in that Cosby luster. It wasn't a mistake, though; WBIR would eventually become one the country's most dominant stations.

• Like 1

Just published by yours truly. Enjoy ;) 'CNN' and 'NBC Today' as "interpreted" by comedy show Fast Forward (from my 1990 tapes. Anyone who remembers Desert Storm should get a kick out of them.)

"Bobby Battista at the Center, Atlanter..." Bobbie discusses "smart bombs" with 'General Guthrie Phalanx' at Fort Kaboom, Twin Barrels, VA.

Funny "anchor chat" sketch impersonating the NBC Today show. Classic... and close to the real thing!

While we're here... one more (from another channel), a classic:

Found some more WBIR, one of the earliest uses of the "craft shop 10" which had, fortunately, not yet found it's way onto the news logo. Highlights include a very serious cut of Newsmark (which is rather juxtaposed next to that heart), and future subject of Trump's nightmares Jim Acosta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=b43I7iAtfPw;m=9;s=26

• Like 3

Just published by yours truly. Enjoy ;) 'CNN' and 'NBC Today' as "interpreted" by Aussie comedy show Fast Forward (from my 1990 tapes. Anyone who remembers Desert Storm should get a kick out of them.)

Bobbie Battister in Atlanter. And who could forget:

• Like 1

Incredible classic opens from the UK:

Weekend World

The London Programme - as a young kid, this open was spellbinding. The fact that the show aired late on Friday nights, and it was so gritty, made it even more cool.

World in Action - early 80s

Current affairs from Australia:

ABC 4 Corners 1983

4 Corners Opener 1997

7 Brisbane Today Tonight 1995

Real Life 1992

The most famous, and successful, show - "A Current Affair" 1992

..and one more,

, also recorded by me.

Here's something interesting- anyone remember the USA Updates that were shown on the USA Network in the late 80s and the 90s? Everyone thought that they moved from being produced at KYW to the All-News Channel in 1991 after KYW's infamous revamp (causing the departure of Steve Bell, likely one of the reasons USA approached KYW/Group W to produced the updates). And yet, I found an update from 1993, still produced at KYW with Beverly Williams anchoring from one of the Art-Deco styled sets, just with a grey chrome-key BG. It makes you wonder why they moved at all, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=zBrxnPFZi1U;m=0;s=10

Checked out a little bit of the WLOS-TV Blizzard video and was glad to see Brenda Burch (former WTVK news anchor/reporter) in the video. She anchored coverage of the big Blizzard of '93 for WLOS.

I am back with some rare goodies.

We take you back to the early 1980s and Tuscaloosa, Alabama where we feature an intro for WCFT's "Eyewitness News" from this period. They used "Electro Phantasma" by Dave Grusin off the soundtrack to "The Electric Horseman".

From 1987, here is an MPBN broadcast of the Mount View/Rockland game with a WABI news clip at the beginning. At :04 into the video is a WABI newscast open used in 1987 featuring an unknown news theme.

From March 1989, here is a partial WHBF-TV newscast. WHBF-TV was one of the non-ABC stations to use Gari's News Series 2000 as its theme as they were CBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtKRHTqdQGc

• Like 4

Wow, the owners of WCFT sure liked that set, because they gave an identical one (with logo changes and the weather center on the opposite side) to their Yuma sister station (WCFT and KYEL were sisters between 1978 and 1990):

That WCFT Alumni group where that came from has some good stuff, mostly images but a few videos, including this one:

• Like 3

Got some good old footage of WSOC, which goes back even to the early '80s (a rare find for channel 9). This was a report on Bill Walker's co-anchors over the time talking about his retirement (you even see old footage of Doreen Gentzler before her NBC days!)

The first clip (around 1978) shows an open similar to that of WAGA and the Outlet stations. Also, "The News Image" is heard during a news tease (possibly 1984?)

• Like 2