Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

They must have overhauled in 1996 as they became "Action News 31". There's evidence they used News Edge in the morning (which lasted into KMAX). There's even a partial news open at 3:24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=q8WFMdaYVHo;t=34

Open is absolutely using News Edge - KAYU used the same cut around 2004.

• Like 2

[quote name='ChesapeakeTV']Open is absolutely using News Edge - KAYU used the same cut around 2004.[/QUOTE] @Raymie To add on to my own post - I submitted this to Mr. NMSA, and he thinks it's most likely from the Underground Collection of production music...a very strange coincidence, but one that makes sense (Arnold apparently let clients have at it in there if they picked up a package).
  • Like 2

Thanks for attaching those Pittsburgh videos. Seeing those videos sure does bring the memories back. I love hearing those classic news themes as well as seeing former anchors. It seems as the actual themes used in the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s are very rare and hard to find in their entirety in the clear. Couple of the news music theme sites do not have the actual variations of the themes which were used in Pittsburgh through the years. A KDKA theme or two were instrumental versions of the campaign songs which were made exclusive to KDKA - iirc, for example, the Renaissance 2 and KD+you themes.

• Like 1

The videos I have seen on there are nice. I do remember seeing ECO on Galavision in the early 1990s.

We take you back to 1984 where KDFW aired a promo featuring their news team. They still used the KDFW 1980 News Theme and they also used the WBTV news set.

I do not think this has been shared, but I did find something rare. We take you back to 1983 where KTVB in Boise opens an edition of "NewsCenter 7". They used the Michael Randall "NewsCenter" theme during this period.

Also, here is a KTVB news update from 1992 with a different theme being used. The update can be seen at 1:38.

As many of you know, TV stations across the United States used the classic TM Productions package entitled "The Spirit (of Texas)". Radio stations even used it in some form or another. WNIR in Akron uses it for their talk format. How about WDAF? They used it in 1994 to open newscasts. You can hear the WDAF ID and news intro using TM's package at 0:05.

WANE in 1985...

In March, the Corinthian-era set was still in use but the stripe colors had changed:

But by June, WANE had a new set and...Newschannel!?

Newschannel was gone by February 1986, and its replacement (the second version of the CBS News ticker) was out by 1987.

• Like 1

A KDKA theme or two were instrumental versions of the campaign songs which were made exclusive to KDKA - iirc, for example, the Renaissance 2 and KD+you themes.

I believe the Renaissance 2 theme is on NMSA as "WROC 1987 News Theme", though I've long had a suspicion it was originally for KDKA. NMSA doesn't even list them as having used it, but I've seen a promo on YouTube with one of the cuts (possibly one of Thor's deleted videos?)

I also assume the KD+You theme is the one that went with the tunnel animation, that has long been assumed (quite possibly incorrectly) to be part of Tuesday's News Image by most of the news theme community? (It's understandable why, it has the same 4-note logo, but in the past couple years, as more Tuesday stuff has been identified, I have become less and less sure that KDKA theme was even the work of Tuesday.)

Yeah, opens are hard to find - some KDKA stuff (such as one of the "Here's 2" promos) only surfaced through some low-bitrate videos of classic clips posted on their site for some anniversary in the mid-00s, which are probably long gone.

• Like 1

I believe the Renaissance 2 theme is on NMSA as "WROC 1987 News Theme", though I've long had a suspicion it was originally for KDKA. NMSA doesn't even list them as having used it, but I've seen a promo on YouTube with one of the cuts (possibly one of Thor's deleted videos?)

I also assume the KD+You theme is the one that went with the tunnel animation, that has long been assumed (quite possibly incorrectly) to be part of Tuesday's News Image by most of the news theme community? (It's understandable why, it has the same 4-note logo, but in the past couple years, as more Tuesday stuff has been identified, I have become less and less sure that KDKA theme was even the work of Tuesday.)

Yeah, opens are hard to find - some KDKA stuff (such as one of the "Here's 2" promos) only surfaced through some low-bitrate videos of classic clips posted on their site for some anniversary in the mid-00s, which are probably long gone.

It's GOTTA be older!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=TFvwVo8cVzs;t=28

With all the rare news videos popping up on this forum, we can add another one to the list.

We take you back to 1977 where we feature a rare clip of a WMAZ newscast. There is no open in the video, but it does feature a news story on the UGA Redcoat Band. At the end of the video is a WMAZ news bumper with an unknown music piece.

Also, here is a portion of KOVR's news from October 7, 1991 featuring news open.

Here are a set of CBS/WCIA commercials from December 7, 1986 with a portion of WCIA's news. The news open can be seen at 30:09. The voice-over doing the WCIA intro sounds like the work of Dan Region who was also the announcer of "As The World Turns" at the time. Or...it may have been someone from WCIA.

Velma Scaife, longtime WVEC reporter, passed away recently. What we don't know was that before Velma became a WVEC reporter, she worked at WCYB-TV in Bristol during 1986. Here are a couple of news updates that Velma did for the late news on WCYB during this period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TEScWV5lyA

And keeping with the Tri-Cities theme, here is a WJHL news promo as aired in 1985 for "Eyewitness News". However, the video is rough and shot from a video camera pointed to the TV. The music heard in the promo is an unknown theme piece which may have been WJHL's news theme at the time.

• Like 1

There are two people who I think are still around who could shed light on this:

Arthur Greenwald, who was KD's promotion manager in the mid 80's and the father of "KD+You" Last seen as a contributor at TVNewsCheck.com; and Glenn Przyborski who helped create the KD+You image spots...