Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Another NewsActive3 upload; this is the December 4, 1970 ABC Evening News (Howard K. Smith's on vacation; leaving Frank Reynolds anchoring solo on this - the last newscast before he was pushed aside in favor of Harry Reasoner on the ABC anchor desk; not to return until the 1978 premiere of the World News Tonight format)

• Like 1

That is an awesome news open. Never even thought that a different theme bed existed for WAFF during that era.

This leads me to some rare WFMJ from the 1980s. From 1982, here is a set of NBC commercials as aired on WFMJ. As a special treat in this video, it includes the first minutes of "21 Action News" from that year with a news open included. The ID and news open can be seen at 21:46.

I just uploaded this one. Eyewitness News (TEN10) weekend coverage of Sydney fires in '94. If interested, features some pretty stunning reporting from Damian Ryan in the center of a firestorm. He's now a veteran with 9.

Includes edits (I was a kid always changing the channel!)

• Like 1

I wonder why Australia seems to be the one country that airs US Morning newscasts. First Today on Seven, GMA on Nine and CBS This Morning on Ten.

That goes back to the 80s when commercial stations in Australia found US morning shows a great and topical way to fill a few hours of overnight programming in the first few years of 24 hour broadcasting. Because of the time difference, we could get quality network news from the US at 1 or 2 AM. You're right, Seven were the first to do it. But they actually aired CNN originally. Later, in the early 90s, 10 got exclusive access to CNN and carried it midnight to dawn.

NBC Today aired for many years from about 1 AM on Seven. Despite airing in the graveyard shift, it gathered such a cult following that it was regularly sent up on our version of Saturday Night Live for years. The comedians' take on it was much the same as my first reaction on seeing it as a kid after living in England for some years. I had never seen news anchors do that much inane "happy chat". My dad was like "what the?!" but I loved it! It was just a whole other level of "anchor stardom". Yes, big name 'newsreaders' in England were paid big bucks and were household names, but there was a sense of formality and authority (that was never really repeated since). I loved the English anchors who were so professional and matter-of-fact (as you can see on my YouTube channel).

The big "handover" of the alarm clock between Jane Pauley and Deborah Norville perfectly illustrated this bizarre netherworld of "TV anchorland" that the rest of the world grew to emulate later (Recorded on Seven affiliate near Sydney.)

Another recorded on Seven.. (and damn.. Katie really fluffs that accent at the end!

The 'inanity' level was, in fact, exaggerated because we used to receive that part of the 'Today Show' produced for stations without local news at :25 past the hour - the 'co-op' - where the cast would chat.. and chat.. and chat about any old thing. Of course, none of us in Australia realised that it wasn't really intended to air widely.. it was only meant for Flintstick, Wyoming and other such one-horse towns. We thought it was an actual part of the show where they return from commercials and literally talk about themselves for an entire block!

Here's my 2 contributions to the co-op files.. again from Channel 7. You can see what I mean about the happy-chatting anchors that we were so unaccustomed to!

• Like 2

We take you back to 1998 where WYMT opens the evening edition of "57 Mountain News" featuring an unknown news theme.

We take you one year later to 1999 where WKYT opens an edition of award-winning "27 NewsFirst".

Also, we take you back to 1979 where we feature something rare: A WBOC newscast. WBOC-16 was the only commercial TV station in the Delmarva area before WMDT-47 signed on a year or two later. It does not contain a news open, but features a rare look at the station's news product.

On top of that, here is a WOKR-13 newscast from 1989 and you gotta love the news open.

Also, we take you back to the decade of the 1990s where KCCO/KCCW aired its last locally originated newscasts before KCCO/KCCW became a full-time satellite. The theme they used in the news open aired in the late 1970s was also used on WRC-TV for their editorial segments. The theme they used in the second news open was the KSAT 1984 News theme by an unknown composer.

• Like 1

Honolulu, HI:

Awesome. No more words needed..

Another uber cool clip:

Lastly, personally recorded from a hotel room while on vacation from Australia. Just uploaded:

Another awesome clip -

from NewsActive3.

As your weekend is about to come to an end, here are some rare clips I am sharing with all of you.

We start in 1977 where WOAY-4 in Beckley, West Virginia had just signed back on the air after a devastating fire hit the station. Here are a few video clips of WOAY's news from that year. At 2:16 into the video, it includes an ID with newscast open.

The audio is very low, but you get to see a vintage KFVS newscast from 1989 featuring a different open used during that period. News open with ID can be seen at 0:33.

Here is a WSAZ news close from 1977 with NBC Nightly News intro. WSAZ used "Part of Your Life" at the time.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, most of the good classic Pittsburgh stuff on YouTube (mostly KDKA) was posted by one user, stiffkids2006, who was terminated due to multiple copyright strikes at some point in the last year. It's weird, because the vast majority of the videos on that channel were posted years ago, I remember watching videos from that channel in 2007. So I don't know why they got taken down now.

I was the original poster of that material. I have back-ups of the main 'goodies,' such as the news opens. I just re-posted a few of them on my brother's account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=v5i9g7ddSDc;t=10

Here's a promo from WUHQ (now WOTV) in Battle Creek, MI circa 1988. WUHQ era videos of WOTV are seemingly rare. I've only seen about 2 other videos (a very brief DX clip in one of FuzzyMemoriesTV's video from 1979/1980 and a signoff)

I remember visiting my Grandparents in Western Michigan and WUHQ had a customized version of ABC's Still the One - We're Forty-One...

Wish I had recordings - but "Why would anyone want to record TV?"...

Jim

• Like 1

This 10 minutes of video includes more KPWB - a weathercast and a bump, with what must have been their theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=-GKAC_93VhA;t=386

They must have overhauled in 1996 as they became "Action News 31". There's evidence they used News Edge in the morning (which lasted into KMAX). There's even a partial news open at 3:24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=q8WFMdaYVHo;t=34