Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

WXIA/Atlanta 11Alive & NBC coverage of Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Many fixtures at 11Alive from the late Chuck Moore & Guy Sharpe. Jill Becker who retired in 2011, John Pruitt who worked for both WSB & WXIA, Terri Merryman, Johnny Beckman, Bruce Erion, Doug Evan now at rival WAGA. Chris Holcomb who now the main chief weatherman is still there. Plus NBC News

• Like 1

There's barely a second of the KJCT 1984 open in here...

I believe the theme is NMSA "KLTV 1985". But I'm not going to bother sending that in.

Also, a WAFF newsbreak with the KTRE 1993 theme from the "48 The News" era...

And...WMAR in 1997? Here's another unseen TVbD open on Dailymotion...

[MEDIA=dailymotion]x5c22j[/MEDIA]

That KJCT open is definitely KLTV 1985. I'll pop it in if you don't. The tease before it has another unknown that I recognize but can't name off the top of my head...

As for WMAR...wow, that's not the general style I'd expect from TVbD (save the "Nightside" lettering). Could there have been someone else involved?

• Like 2

That KJCT open is definitely KLTV 1985. I'll pop it in if you don't. The tease before it has another unknown that I recognize but can't name off the top of my head...

As for WMAR...wow, that's not the general style I'd expect from TVbD (save the "Nightside" lettering). Could there have been someone else involved?

I have no idea, but that end *screams* them.

As to KJCT, good luck. I have 1.7 seconds of KOAM with Get to Know Us. He won't recognize it. This is an even shorter sample.

• Like 5

Didn't expect to see KCNC using Newswire and breaking up momentarily their use of the Image # series of themes.

It was the only time they used a non-Gilmer theme between ditching Newschannel in 1986 and picking up 615's Newstime in 2003.

• Like 2

Very interesting indeed.

We take you back to the mid 1980s where KWTX in Waco aired a promo entitled "Here's To You" and it was even used on WDEF in Chattanooga as well.

Also, we take you back to the 1990s where we feature a few stories about the Rocky Flats coverup as seen on Denver TV. A KCNC news open from 1992 can be seen at 3:23.

Holy moly, it's even more KCNC, and from just months before the Newswire open, too!

That almost sounds like Image IV or potentially VI, not VII and most certainly not VIII! I was just thinking today "we need more Colorado Evening News opens"...

(Image VIII doesn't even sound like an Image theme, anyway...)

That Rocky Flats channel has more reels but nothing new.

Holy moly, it's even more KCNC, and from just months before the Newswire open, too!

That almost sounds like Image IV or potentially VI, not VII and most certainly not VIII! I was just thinking today "we need more Colorado Evening News opens"...

(Image VIII doesn't even sound like an Image theme, anyway...)

That Rocky Flats channel has more reels but nothing new.

Maybe "WSB 1992 News Theme" would be a more appropriate name.

Maybe "WSB 1992 News Theme" would be a more appropriate name.

Well, it is Image VIII. There's no questioning that. The old Newsmusic Central site had a long sample for it, too. But it sounds incredibly unlike the other Image packages (even if there is a bit of a watershed break between IV-VII and VIII and up).

Also worth noting...the NMSA has a "client primacy" error. WSB began using this theme in 1993 and is listed as commissioning it. But KCNC is listed as using it 1988-93. Client primacy errors are among the most easily detected errors in the NMSA and require date adjustments. This one might take the cake. I doubt KCNC ever used Image VIII.

This cut has to be CEN-specific. It sounds a bit like Image VI, even.

Here's an ITV (CITV) Edmonton movie open I found on robatsea2009's channel, with music from "Take a Look". You may recognize this track from the KXTV 3:30 Movie opens posted by KLXT77 some years back, but those opens faded the music out earlier than this one:

Either through recommended videos, or just searching for more ITV, I found these additional videos from la_canuck. They were posted in 2009-12, but I just discovered them, so they're new to me. A bunch of early-80s IDs, promos, etc. from ITV, also using "Take a Look." These include a few cuts we've never heard (well, some of them are on the demo, which I've heard, but unlike on the demo, most of these are completely in the clear; also, the "disco" one has singers on the demo and is instrumental here).

I'll try to put the rest in subsequent posts, due to the 5-embed limit.

And here is a sign-on using Neil Diamond's "African Suite", perhaps best known among us as WJLA's news theme in the early 80s. However, this has the whole track, or at least most of it:

Somehow, in all these years I had never listened to the whole thing (it can't have helped that NMSA's sample only has the section that was used by WJLA). Have any of you here ever listened to it all the way through? Pay attention to the last section, starting when the announcer comes in around 2:20, all the way to the end. I'm now convinced that Tuesday2 was, shall we say, "inspired by" African Suite.

• Like 3

Okay I hope to get this fixed this time.

not to be rude since lately people are obsessed with these recent clips that I felt ignored. So here goes.

WCKT 1960s-1980 Bloopers (warning: graphic but humorous Content)

WCKT/WSVN 1980-1990 Bloopers

WSVN 1990-2000 Bloopers

WSVN 2000 Bloopers

And they call themselves "the news station" again my apologies if I'm posting over and over again, but you don't know what you're missing.

That KOAT open is very similar to one that sister station KETV was using at the time. (WPTA also continued to use similar CGI logo animation and anchor transition effects after they were sold from Pulitzer to Granite...)

You are indeed right. I think the WDEF news open from 1988 I am sharing did use a version of the KOAT/KETV graphics.

Here is a KAPP-35 news open from 1997 with an unknown theme of sorts.

Get ready for some rare Louisiana newscasts. Starting it off is WBRZ in Baton Rouge from back in 1984. It does contain most of the newscast with John Pastorek, but no open is shown.

My parents moved to Louisiana in October 1984. I remember Channel 2. They had received a new set by then (bright blue/gray), but was still using that theme.