Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

And yes, this is 1993...

This isn't that surprising...on the other clip of this open, we find this comment by one Eugene Reyes (excerpted):

"95 does sound right as to when it changed. Becky Neighbors left Big 2 in '94 and I think it was changed shortly thereafter."

And that WBRZ open...what an awesome use of effects there! Definitely one of the best opens from that time I've seen, period.

This isn't that surprising...on the other clip of this open, we find this comment by one Eugene Reyes (excerpted):

"95 does sound right as to when it changed. Becky Neighbors left Big 2 in '94 and I think it was changed shortly thereafter."

And that WBRZ open...what an awesome use of effects there! Definitely one of the best opens from that time I've seen, period.

I knew that it had lasted a while, but it's still nice to see it.

As to WBRZ, it's a lot like the WFMY "cube" open from the same year.

• Like 1

Here is a classic WKRC news intro from 1986 featuring the classic WNDU 1986 News Theme package by Tuesday Productions. WKRC had used Tuesday's News Image before this theme.

WAPT in 1987 used an unknown news theme at the time as evidenced in the opening of a news break. It may have been part of a WWLP news theme, but could be wrong. Their newscasts were known as "Channel 16 News".

WNTZ, the current FOX affiliate, was your channel by the river during the independent days of the 1980s. Here is their image campaign.

• Like 1

Speaking of KCNC...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=9IEzlR-n2FI;t=243

That's a cut of Image IX. It has the NBC chimes in it too. But it's in a promo from circa 1996/97. The Gilmer packages really did tend to bleed into each other.

The reel also has some WDIV and KMGH promos. Can't get enough of News Series 2001.

Raymie, you are correct. In fact, you can't get enough of these classic videos.

Geri Craig, former WSLA-TV (now WAKA-TV) employee and host of "Speak Easy", recently uploaded a set of commercials as aired on WSLA. Talk about vintage! The highlight of the video comes at 6:40 into the video where WSLA aired a local version of CBS We've Got the Touch '84. The news set seen at 6:43 looks like one of WHNT's old news sets they had used back in the 1970s.

That's not all, KVAL-TV opens "Northwest News" back in 1989 using "We Know What Matters". Check out the cool logo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRv0h5-2YrQ

Here is a WNEP news open from 1979 using the classic Move Closer to Your World theme and someone recorded it off the TV with a video camera. It is a nice open though.

From 1985, we take you to Knoxville, Tennessee where WTVK brings you a news digest. News digest is at 2:02 into this video and features Allen Denton of KUSI.

And yes, this is 1993...

This is the same graphics package that was used by WBNS c. 1983-84. WPMT also used it, it shows up on this DX'ed ID that TechnerVideo/PhilaVideo uploaded years ago:

I have a stack of old Millimeter back issues, and one of them (February 1983) has an ad for Calico, where one of the featured stills is of the WBNS intro. So it appears that Calico was responsible for this animation package.

• Like 1

The JFK1963NewsVideos channel's done it again. Over the last few hours a number of videos have gone up on that channel covering the resignation of Richard Nixon; the subsequent swearing in of Gerald Ford and the aftermath (example is CBS' August 8, 1974 resignation coverage).

• Like 2

There are two more KMGH reels on that account... (I would date the one posted to 1980 BTW. That is definitely a new news theme, and I'm fairly sure that's a young Roger Thompson VO too.)

One has Bill O'Reilly! (This is the oldest of the three.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=mg9VaLAiXUc;t=68

As to the VO, I do believe that's Thompson. Get this quote from a Q&A done with Beau Weaver, who would at one point also be the voice of KMGH... The first paragraph strongly indicates Thompson was a VO and this was in the early 80s. I've added a few brackets to clarify.

Anyway, after a few years of doing commercial VO work in LA, then back in Houston, I moved to Colorado for the launch of the Transtar network, as I mentioned and was doing a lot of voice work in Denver. I was hired as the promo voice for KWGN, Channel 2, owned by Tribune. My agent handled the promo voices for the two other Denver network affiliates [sic], Roger Thompson, and Ed OBrien [KCNC] (with whom I had worked at KFRC a few years earlier, now the signature voice of CNBC [Ed O'Brien ≠ Jim Birdsall]) [KBTV had an unidentified voiceover later used by WUSA/KARE - RH] So, we came up with the idea of marketing ourselves to television stations in other markets.

This is so common now, it is hard to understand what a completely revolutionary concept this was. Back then, a television station in Chicago or Dallas used a local staff or booth announcer to voice their promos. But television stations were beginning to use LA and NY consultants to kick their on air look up a notch, and the local voice guy was not cutting it alongside the hot new theme music, sets, and motion graphics, and promo end plates. We saw a market, and decided to work together.

Now there was a brand new technology that was going to make this possible. Not ISDN; remember, this was 1982 – ISDN would come a decade later. The killer technology was: FEDERAL EXPRESS! We persuaded stations on the astonishing idea that they could FEDEX us the scripts (remember, no FAX machines yet!) direct us over the phone, and have a finished reel of tape on their desk by 10am THE NEXT DAY! This was miraculous.

From 2014, WENY celebrated its 45th anniversary with a look back at the station's history. The video contains a news open clip from the station's early days in the 1970s.

(News open is at :33)

2014 was also the year another station celebrated its anniversary. KDRV-TV in Medford celebrated its 30th anniversary with a look back at the station. A few months later in 1985, KDRV debuted local newscasts as "Newswatch 12".

(News open from 1985 is at 2:54)

From 1994, we take you to KENS-TV 5 where they closed an edition of "Eyewitness News". Love the banter they provide during the closing theme.

Didn't realize KENS did a 'audible chit chat during the close' thing. And they did it for years and years. Found one as late as 2000. Awkward conversations but a priceless tradition.

SAT seems like a cool market - KSAT was a mini KTRK with the Newsmat thing going for a while.

What if i tell you there's exists a vidcheck spanning more than 5 hrs. of one particular June 6 1996 switching from WNYW to WNBC UNEDITED. A look at TV the way it was starting with basically a full episode of Good Day New York. EX-WSVN anchor Penny Daniels substituted for the vacationing Jim Ryan. Notable headlines included Bulls vs Supersonics (RIP) in the NBA Finals and Pamela Anderson giving birth to a baby boy.

That open can't have lasted long, then - Works for You has to fit in somewhere! KREM really was a revolving door in the late 80s through the mid 90s...

Meanwhile, in Yakima, a possible hint to KIMA using the 1997 CBS Special Presentation theme. I like the "ky-ma" phonetic pronunciation of the callsign!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=AUEuMMq0L5o;m=3;s=10

And from Portland, KOIN in 1991. We finally get to see Great News outside of KPDX.