Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

We take you back to 1991 where KOLR 10 NewsBeat brought you news, weather, sports and all the "color" (as in KOLR) of the Ozarks.

Here is a KOLR 11am news open from that period. The open begins with an ID at 1:28 into the video.

Here is another KOLR news open from that period. It uses the evening news open. The open for the 6pm starts at 1:44 into the video.

That year, KY3's "Action News" opened its midday newscast using "Power News" by 615 Music. The open is seen at 0:26 into the video.

• Like 1

In 1985, CFCN in Calgary was "On Your Side". The station used Frank Gari's classic "Seven On Your Side" package for a few years in the mid to late 1980s and is showcased in this promo.

In 1989, WVVA brought you the latest news on "NewsCenter 6". Here is a clip of a WVVA newscast from that period. Oh and the news open is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLTBOuQHUO4

Arizona stuff you've never seen is always good stuff...

This long reel of 1984 election materials contains local excerpts, but only one is interesting. At 1:50 is a KOLD "Channel 13 News" close from the days when they used a KCOP-esque logo and some unknown theme.

I think the KOLD theme is part of the CBS "We've got the touch" theme - I'm trying to track down more details, but if you Google "CBS We've Got the Touch 83" or "CBS We've got the touch 84", you'll here the musical themes...

(Edit) It appears that WAKA also used this theme - check the NMSA(/Edit)

J

11PM October 1987 KNBC

From my favorite era at KNBC...

At around 24 min you get the jazzy Nightside closing music and a great wide shot of the set

My favorite era as well! I grew up in Southern California watching all the stations. Does anyone know who performed this jazzy cut? I know when you go to the NewsMusic archive page it says Michael Randall music, but I have scoured the internet and can't find any extended version (although this video is great). I would also like to hear Fred Roggin's sports theme from this era is well.

My favorite era as well! I grew up in Southern California watching all the stations. Does anyone know who performed this jazzy cut? I know when you go to the NewsMusic archive page it says Michael Randall music, but I have scoured the internet and can't find any extended version (although this video is great). I would also like to hear Fred Roggin's sports theme from this era is well.

It has Michael's fingerprints on it.

His 80s KNBC work and the KTVU package he did are sorely missing from any good archives.

Same for Earl Grizzell's KCRA work.

Both have pretty visible contact info - would be great to have their work preserved at TVPMM.

BTW, Michael was a composer for Motown in the 70s, worked with the Jackson 5 and others.

Arizona stuff you've never seen is always good stuff...

This long reel of 1984 election materials contains local excerpts, but only one is interesting. At 1:50 is a KOLD "Channel 13 News" close from the days when they used a KCOP-esque logo and some unknown theme.

I think the KOLD theme is part of the CBS "We've got the touch" theme - I'm trying to track down more details, but if you Google "CBS We've Got the Touch 83" or "CBS We've got the touch 84", you'll here the musical themes...

(Edit) It appears that WAKA also used this theme - check the NMSA(/Edit)

J

I checked at TVPMM - that's confirmed as an instrumental version of one of the main promo themes for We've Got The Touch.

A name that hasn't been seen much lately...SanAntonioNews78 has tossed some goodies out.

First up, KSAT's 6 PM news on May 14, 1993, still with "v2" of their 1987 theme (the two different themes in the NMSA are definitely the same package, as there's another clip on the channel of an audio-only close dated 1994 with "v1"...I'm not 100% sure on that year, though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=cQjweV4dfqo

There's also KABB's very first newscast, March 20, 1995...

...and this KENS promo from the mid 80's, for "Newscope". We've seen an open for this format from WGN...was it a syndicated hybrid package of some sort, a la PM/Evening Magazine, or just one of those brands that pops up in odd places?

And on one final note, some more evidence that seems to support my theory regarding "The One & Only" and "Call it Home"...note the combination of music and tagline.