Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Same user uploaded KMBC's original Hearst-Argyle open (from 1998) with the claim that it began in 1995, which wouldn't be far-fetched because that's when those graphics began on WCVB, which raises the question... did KMBC ever actually use Newswire? I want to say it might have been listed on ASCAP but I've seen no video proof of Newswire on KMBC.

I saw that too. I really do wonder.

• Like 1

What news theme is that? It sounds different than their 1987 theme and it doesn't sound like Spirit (of Texas).

Sounds like a previously unknown theme to me.

IIRC, "Spirit (of Texas)" was brought on after WTTV shut down their in-house news production. Channel 4 only used the image campaign of Spirit for a couple of years, with the lyrics being "The Heart of Indiana on 4...TTV4". By then, WTTV was airing WRTV's 10pm production.

They were definitely using Spirit in some way just before the news operation folded.

• Like 2

That's a pretty cool way to transitioning from the movie to the open...and the open appears to be a knockoff of
, interestingly enough.

I guess this also disproves the NMSA's listing of them using PNP...though I sincerely doubted the truth of that anyway.

That's the actual WKBD graphics. I saw them in use elsewhere really recently too...

Oh yeahhhhh... One of my white whales is the KFOR early 90s theme, so this makes me happy as heck. What's interesting is that "News Team 4" was out before the theme and graphics.

The only other clip available surfaced in a KFOR montage uploaded around Bob Barry's death. It featured an almost-clean 30-second cut of what seems to be a news theme and potential image package.

FTR, there are a lot of white whales when it comes to news clips from Oklahoma television... not just Oklahoma City, but Tulsa, Ada and Lawton too. Sticking to OKC, besides the lack of news clips from KFOR during the early 1990s, other opens absent from YouTube from stations in the market include:

* KFOR: 1994-96 (two clips from the second generation version of the graphics used during the run of the "KFOR Custom Package" is available on NewsActive3's channel, I don't remember on which compilation);

* KOCO: Pre-1986 (there are some clips from that era on YouTube, but none from any actual newscasts), 1993-94, during the final year of the "5 Alive" era (when the station replaced the 1986 version of the logo with a block version, upon the adoption of a short-lived graphics package that preceded the first iteration of the "Circle 5"), 1994-96 (an updated version of the graphics package from the "Primetime News" era, after KOCO began branding as "Oklahoma's Channel 5/Oklahoma's 5 News", is available on one of NewsActive3's compilations) and 1997-98 (a short-lived package used during the transition from "Oklahoma's 5 News" to "Eyewitness News 5");

* KWTV: 1990-97, during the latter half of the "Newsline 9" era (a clip featuring what I assume is the 1986-89 graphics is on NewsActive3's channel) and 1997-2001, the first generation of the "News 9" branding era;

* KOKH: 1997-1999, a relatively short-lived gold package used during the "Stravinsky" era; 1999-2000, the year prior to the renaming of the 9:00 p.m. newscast from "The Nine O'Clock News" to the "Primetime News at Nine" (there is a complete 1997 edition of the 9:00 p.m. show, using the initial 1996 package, available on KOKH's YouTube from the date of Murrah Building bomber Timothy McVeigh's sentencing), as well as anything from the "Newstouch 25" era pre-Fox-affiliation

* KWTV: 1990-97, during the latter half of the "Newsline 9" era (a clip featuring what I assume is the 1986-89 graphics is on NewsActive3's channel)

The now-defunct tvnewsthemes.net had a clip of a KWTV open/close from that era (1993)... that's where the "KWTV 1993 News Theme" in the NMSA comes from. It was a really neat open and theme... very 90s. Hope it resurfaces sometime.

Mark Antinori who was a booth announcer for WFLA in the 80s and early 90s for WFLA posted a video almost 3 years ago (How did I miss this?!) of his early 80s TV work which includes an open from the 1981-82 The Look...Alive "Gapped 8" era at the 0:48 mark. We can pretty much debunk that they used Hello News during that time but I have no clue what the theme they used was so I'm going to report to SouthernMedia the theme as "WFLA 1981 Theme".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=U69LpKcolME;t=57

• Like 1

We can pretty much debunk that they used Hello News during that time but I have no clue what the theme they used was so I'm going to report to SouthernMedia the theme as "WFLA 1981 Theme".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=U69LpKcolME;t=57

"Mr. NMSA" told me that someone reported hearing "Hello News" around the 1981 Super Bowl on NBC. In a similar way, I know that WTSP didn't use "NewsCenter II Theme" as I thought they did. But they did use the "We're the Team" promotional campaign.

This is probably the biggest find ever for the Tampa/St. Pete market.

• Like 5

"Mr. NMSA" told me that someone reported hearing "Hello News" around the 1981 Super Bowl on NBC. In a similar way, I know that WTSP didn't use "NewsCenter II Theme" as I thought they did. But they did use the "We're the Team" promotional campaign.

This is probably the biggest find ever for the Tampa/St. Pete market.

It truly is! I'm sure the WTSP use of NewsCenter II outside of image campaigns is as invalid and unknown as WFLA using Part of Your Life in the same manner.

It truly is! I'm sure the WTSP use of NewsCenter II outside of image campaigns is as invalid and unknown as WFLA using Part of Your Life in the same manner.

Well, we know for a fact they did use Part of Your Life, likely starting in 1977, so I find it unlikely they didn't use it as their news theme. But no opens have surfaced. Yet.

• Like 1