Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

KPHO, Phoenix; 11:30 a.m., 1993 -- the station's last full year as an independent:

September 1993... Ooh!

So KPHO would have debuted a new look in March of 94, which might not have lasted long at all. I thought *this* was the new look the Republic mentioned when it noted KPHO rolled out new graphics, music and set at the start of March 1994...

Also, that Albany clip looks weird because the uploader added that effect that tilts and shifts everything around from time to time. I hate it. Absolutely hate it.

——

Some Seattle material in this motion graphics compilation from 1985.

Some more Albany stuff from the 1990s, this time in much better quality:

WTEN 11:00 PM open, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=zqby-jepbUk;list=PLAMxOcgO3l2NtcG9IXsrEBCnh7X-rkDFv

WRGB 11:00 PM open, 1/12/1994

A set of 1998 WRGB opens after they changed to InSink.

And as a semi-relevant bonus, the musical element to the "See, Hear" program mentioned in the earlier file. Relevant because somehow L3's and the closing graphic WNYT used at the time do appear.

Some October 17, 1995 WVEC uploads (reception was meh; but am currently uploading some WAVY footage that same day that had much better reception)

1995 ABC PrimeTime Live Promo (update on the trial of Yolanda Saldivar {eventually convicted of the murder of Tejano pop star Selena the following week})

Also, a quick WVEC tease for the 11:00 13 News (Terry Zahn teasing a story about an increase in teen smoking)

• Like 2

Oh yeahhhhh... One of my white whales is the KFOR early 90s theme, so this makes me happy as heck. What's interesting is that "News Team 4" was out before the theme and graphics.

The only other clip available surfaced in a KFOR montage uploaded around Bob Barry's death. It featured an almost-clean 30-second cut of what seems to be a news theme and potential image package.

Some more Albany stuff from the 1990s, this time in much better quality:

WTEN 11:00 PM open, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=zqby-jepbUk;list=PLAMxOcgO3l2NtcG9IXsrEBCnh7X-rkDFv

WRGB 11:00 PM open, 1/12/1994

A set of 1998 WRGB opens after they changed to InSink.

And as a semi-relevant bonus, the musical element to the "See, Hear" program mentioned in the earlier file. Relevant because somehow L3's and the closing graphic WNYT used at the time do appear.

Wonder what version of In-Sink WRGB is using in the opens? WTHI used to use the theme used in the WRGB talent open as their morning and midday theme from 2006-2012

Wonder what version of In-Sink WRGB is using in the opens? WTHI used to use the theme used in the WRGB talent open as their morning and midday theme from 2006-2012

I wonder if In-Sink V1 got an "Update" before V2 was commissioned--though the question then is whether it was ever folded into the proper syndicated package...

• Like 1

I wonder if In-Sink V1 got an "Update" before V2 was commissioned--though the question then is whether it was ever folded into the proper syndicated package...

They used the V.1 cuts for the vamp after the 5pm open and also for the weather and sports opens, and some of the instrumentation in the open/talent open sounds like V1, but both of those themes, especially the theme used for the talent, have the "ticker" sound that V2 has.

I've just always wonder which version those themes belong to. Does anyone know if any other stations besides WRGB AND WTHI have used those 2 themes?

Eek, only saw the second post. Hoping for some more material from the uploader soon — one of the few people with a lot of Phoenix stuff.

But I've never seen this WCPO open from the fall of 1985. I guess Newschannel *preceded* the Jay Gilbert theme from 1986!?

• Like 2

Yes, it absolutely did - the open appears in the 1985 TVbD demo, and they were using lower thirds along the same lines as late as 1989. I suspect they may have picked it up in 1984.

I actually thought that was common knowledge and the NMSA had just never updated the ordering...

WCTE (Cookeville, TN) Upper Cumberland Tonight open. The open is now on the NMSA but listed it as the "WCTE 1991 News Theme". It's actually PBS' "Just Watch Us Now" theme (

) from the early 1990s.

Speaking of that, here is WFWA's (Fort Wayne, IN; also a PBS station) sign-off. The instrumental version of the "Just Watch Us Now" theme starts at the 0:57 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=kZ6azNe_A2U;t=57

A short-lived KMBC open from 1994 that was sort of an update to their 1992 open, sort of not:

Same user uploaded KMBC's original Hearst-Argyle open (from 1998) with the claim that it began in 1995, which wouldn't be far-fetched because that's when those graphics began on WCVB, which raises the question... did KMBC ever actually use Newswire? I want to say it might have been listed on ASCAP but I've seen no video proof of Newswire on KMBC.

• Like 4