Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Over on eyeontv; there have been quite a few uploads on that channel of late.

Uploaded today; here's an August 1978 Klein& demo reel (mostly reruns; but the highlight is a clean cut of the Direct Connection theme at the end)

1978 KFMB Klein& Sampler Reel

Early 1980s Klein& Demo Reel

• Like 3

A couple more Klein& clips since I posted last night.

Promo reel for WPLG from 1980

And from NewsActive3; parts 1 and 2 of a September 6, 1972 ABC Evening News (acquired from the Vanderbilt TV News Archive)

Part 1

Part 2

1978 KFMB Klein& Sampler Reel

/MEDIA]

WAVY 10, this is VERY interesting to checkout, because it showcased KFMB and its commitment to covering local news in San Diego. The Call It Home promo was also used on WTRF-TV in Wheeling, West Virginia during the time WTRF became a CBS affiliate switching affiliations with WTOV-TV (then WSTV) which became an NBC affiliate.

The Michael Tuck promo in the KFMB video features a cut from their package which was also used to open a newscast on KSAT in San Antonio, TX. However, if I am not too badly mistaken, I believe that "Call It Home" may very well be the name for a Klein& news music package that KSAT, WPLG and others used during that era. I do recall that the news theme contains a 3-note opening signature

The Michael Tuck promo in the KFMB video features a cut from their package which was also used to open a newscast on KSAT in San Antonio, TX. However, if I am not too badly mistaken, I believe that "Call It Home" may very well be the name for a Klein& news music package that KSAT, WPLG and others used during that era. I do recall that the news theme contains a 3-note opening signature

Very interesting, I always assumed that was another iteration of "The One & Only" (and that's what it's under in NMSA). I first heard that promo cut in a WPLG promo, where it had "The One & Only TV ___" melody. (You can hear that version of the music many times in the 1980 WPLG promo reel that's also posted above.) But in that KFMB promo, it has a different melody.

Could it have started out as "Call It Home" and then been modified to fit into the WPLG version of "The One & Only" later?

• Like 1

I picked up on that hypothesis immediately too, but via a different route.

If I'm correct...

1. What KATV, WIXT, and WJXT used is the "original" One & Only, based off of the 1978 iteration of the famous
    image. I've seen a recording of WTOP using the cut in the WJXT open, there is a recording of a WIXT ID from '78 on YouTube with an identical logo/music to WTOP, and KATV's image song on the NMSA mentions how "we give it all we've got".
  2. What WPLG and KSAT used is "Call it Home" jury-rigged to fit "The One & Only" slogan. The general melody to the news theme has the three-note signature, and the promo heard in image sample #1 for WPLG on the NMSA (and seen at the beginning of the reel) even includes the line "The one, the beat, where you can call it home..."

There is also this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=xNKx9woVNjc;m=6;s=17

• Like 1

From 1983, a low budget newscast from WCHS in Charleston, WV, with a bonus of ESPN's Speedweek in the clip.

Holy crap!

@ 4:10 they speak of a real bona fide shotgun wedding.....

...or is that a murder?

Oh...and that open...ya get the idea those poor little school kids are being lead to slaughter.

• Like 1

Everything but the open in this October 1994 WDAF 9pm newscast. Prime News (4-note)!

The end has the 10pm open of this era. John B. Wells on WDAF? You bet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=nEWkswccu_8;t=848

A few things: First off, the open is kinda cool, in its own strange way. And, with how the time lapse shots are ushered in by a water splash and closed by a running purple-hued waterfall, it places a bit of a nod to one of the things that Kansas City is known for, its abundance of fountains.

Secondly, it looks to me as if the graphics package that WDAF used during its first year as a Fox affiliate was a heavily reworked version of its 1992 graphics package, sans the zig-zag OTS and full-screen graphics (based on what few clips I've seen of WDAF's on-air look in the two years before the switch from NBC) that screamed early '90s and seemed out of place on a news program. The shimmer transitions in the teases/bumpers are a bit of a giveaway.

Finally, up until the NMSA uploaded an audio clip of the 10 p.m. open in the above video this past weekend, they actually listed the version of Prime News used by WDAF as the "WFTX Version" of the package. They've corrected that now, but not the timeline as to when WDAF used the theme, since it seems that Prime News was replaced by what the site refers to as the "alternate logo" variant of Impact in 1995 (the NMSA still lists that theme as having been used from 1997 to 1999, when the "remake" version of that edition of Impact was used), when it adopted a new graphics package.

A few things: First off, the open is kinda cool, in its own strange way. And, with how the time lapse shots are ushered in by a water splash and closed by a running purple-hued waterfall, it places a bit of a nod to one of the things that Kansas City is known for, its abundance of fountains.

Secondly, it looks to me as if the graphics package that WDAF used during its first year as a Fox affiliate was a heavily reworked version of its 1992 graphics package, sans the zig-zag OTS and full-screen graphics (based on what few clips I've seen of WDAF's on-air look in the two years before the switch from NBC) that screamed early '90s and seemed out of place on a news program. The shimmer transitions in the teases/bumpers are a bit of a giveaway.

Finally, up until the NMSA uploaded an audio clip of the 10 p.m. open in the above video this past weekend, they actually listed the version of Prime News used by WDAF as the "WFTX Version" of the package. They've corrected that now, but not the timeline as to when WDAF used the theme, since it seems that Prime News was replaced by what the site refers to as the "alternate logo" variant of Impact in 1995 (the NMSA still lists that theme as having been used from 1997 to 1999, when the "remake" version of that edition of Impact was used), when it adopted a new graphics package.

I've been the one on the NMSA's case about WDAF having commissioned the 4-note variant.

I do agree with your timeline (the Impact remix debuted in January 1997 when Fox had Super Bowl XXXI).

• Like 1