Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Here's an interesting thing: A documentary about WFTS from 2002- during the very short-lived 28 News era. How long did that last anyway? (And, why did they drop the brand for ABC Action News to begin with? I've heard rumors about "viewer confusion", but they were well-established at that point, so what was the actual reason?)

1) This belongs in the 2000-present video thread.

2) "viewer confusion" with "ABC 28" branding, in which I don't understand why.

• Like 2

1) This belongs in the 2000-present video thread.

2) "viewer confusion" with "ABC 28" branding, in which I don't understand why.

Oh, sorry. I forgot that thread exists- and "viewer confusion" sounds like an excuse for "we're changing to be like our sister station in KC, and also shut up".

First gold I've struck in a while with my collection. I'm still going through it so expect possibly more gold.

KVIA News Open from 1985 with a theme I've never heard of.

KDLH (LONG!) Station ID from 1985 with a sizeable cut of "Television You Can Feel" (WJSU 1986 Theme)

• Like 1

The KDLH piece has to be 1988 or later. But that KVIA open...whoaaaaaa!

Late edit: The only vintage El Paso that even comes close to this time period is all blooper reels and the 1987 reel would indicate that in that year KVIA ditched that set, logo and open for new ones of each, and Spirit of Texas to boot.

The KDLH recording had a date of October 1985 written on it. Plus the dealership commercials were of 1985/1986 vehicles.

EDIT: It's from October 1986. I checked the tape again.

That just doesn't sound right to me...

• Like 1

From eyeontv; here's a Klein& jingle sampler reel (most of which are available in full on YouTube; but a couple of interesting clips at the end such as one for WINS-AM 1010 and a spot for KABC-AM 790 using the Direct Connection theme to close out the reel)

• Like 1

I've heard this open, but never seen it. Until this week it was the oldest El Paso open on YT:

The two oldest KDBC opens are not in the NMSA for audio quality issues. The first is from a blooper reel - not the first time - and it looks like the audio was out of pitch (I've corrected this and sent the sample to the NMSA, but...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=nxiAW6ZbXmk;t=626

And for the second, well, the guy needs a capture card:

• Like 1

I might as well post the rest of what I have on YouTube so far. There will be more uploaded.

WTVT & WXFL news segments about the death of TPD officer Porfirio Soto from 12/30/88. This is one of the last news broadcasts of WXFL before channel 8 switched back to WFLA on New Year's 1989.

KLAS Eyewitness News bumper 10/15/85:

WJXT Eyewitness News open from 1/30/94:

WAWS open and talent rejoin from 10/10/97. Apologies bad tape.

• Like 1