Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Yes, I sure do. From one of my tapes at home - this is good:

As always in this thread - posted in the spirit of sharing some of my videos with an 'Americanized' connection. Appreciate it.

• Like 5

Another NewsActive3 upload, this time an NBC Nightly News upload from February 23, 1988 (the part that caught my interest was a lead story in which Pat Robertson suggested the campaign of Vice-President Bush may have influenced the timing of the Jimmy Swaggart story breaking in order to hurt Robertson's campaign prior to Super Tuesday)

Part 1:

Part 2:

There is something about the really great news promos that can make for a stunning 30 seconds of television. Here are some personal recordings from the very "top shelf" - the first taped as a homesick young kid watching from the other side of the world, the second also incredible, and the third - the iconic "Who's Who of News" from Channel 9.

Source: Dan Martin. Other versions of this long-running promo include

(taped by yours truly), and many localized versions from across the network and through the years on YouTube.
  • Like 1

Great piece of history.

That was one of the greatest local station turnarounds in the business.

Right up there with WLS around the same time and KTVU a few years later.

Though in this case there wasn't a big personality GM driving things. More of a team effort.

That's amazing considering what WTCN had before "News 11." Agreed with what @sfomspphl said, one of the best turnarounds in television news. From last place to now I think in second or a strong third. I think KARE is beating KMSP in the ratings and possibly KSTP, considering that their local news operation has sunk in recent years.
  • Like 1

Found this near the end of a late 1991 tape with recordings from WGNT (there were only a couple of minutes left after this). Apparently this was a news break focusing on scheduled debate for Senate Bill 12 (the Senate version of the Cable Television Consumer Protection Act of 1991 that had passed the House).

As another note, the fade in and out is how it aired.

This isn't exactly news-related, but it does have news music in it. This is an ident from CHCH's Movies 11, in the early 90s. At the time they were using Pride Inside...but this is a little different. For one thing, the music here is that combo of Great News & Pride Inside...and for another thing, it's a cut we (or at least I) have never heard, that follows the template of the Hello/Great News combo.

This isn't exactly news-related, but it does have news music in it. This is an ident from CHCH's Movies 11, in the early 90s. At the time they were using Pride Inside...but this is a little different. For one thing, the music here is that combo of Great News & Pride Inside...and for another thing, it's a cut we (or at least I) have never heard, that follows the template of the Hello/Great News combo.

You can check NMSA and WBAL has done something like this when they were under "News 11."

• Like 2

You can check NMSA and WBAL has done something like this when they were under "News 11."

I'm aware of that, but this particular cut hadn't surfaced before. Compare this and the first sample of KSNW using Great News to see what I mean.

• Like 3

CHCH had some custom cuts.

There's a Pride Inside-On Your Side cut apparently used for the weekend CHCH Newsroom newscasts. It's in BMI!

Here's some other CHCH from that era:

I kinda think that Pride Inside might have been a custom for CHCH...

• Like 1

I kinda think that Pride Inside might have been a custom for CHCH...

Curious, what would make you say that? I think it's well established that it was for WBAL - the last two lines of the song actually rhyme in the WBAL version, and the melody is from the final line of the "7's On Your Side" promo song, the same package WBAL was using just before. It's just the closing "7's On Your Side" with an extra syllable added at the beginning: "Seven's on your side" -> "Eleven's on your side."

Or do you mean the news music package? I know that the image campaign came first, and I do believe the first news music to incorporate it was the GNP hybrid. Didn't the full Pride Inside music package come a while later?

Curious, what would make you say that? I think it's well established that it was for WBAL - the last two lines of the song actually rhyme in the WBAL version, and the melody is from the final line of the "7's On Your Side" promo song, the same package WBAL was using just before. It's just the closing "7's On Your Side" with an extra syllable added at the beginning: "Seven's on your side" -> "Eleven's on your side."

Or do you mean the news music package? I know that the image campaign came first, and I do believe the first news music to incorporate it was the GNP hybrid. Didn't the full Pride Inside music package come a while later?

I'd actually never heard the image song before, but I do believe at least parts of Pride Inside, and possibly the news package, were for CHCH. (I'm probably wrong on the whole package idea.)

It debuted at least in 1988 (they had

in February and
). We'd need an open from late 1988 to compare because in 1989 both CHCH and WBAL were using the main news package.

I *do* think there were custom combo cuts for CHCH (Pride Inside/On Your Side referenced in BMI).

Regarding Pride Inside, rather than the version that WBAL (and to a degree CHCH) used for the newscasts, I actually preferred what WTMJ did, which was a instrumental cut from the main promo package:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSasxrKbMmU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=cHvBmdB4hQc;list=PLPUVZMrfQlmxq8YvcKou0kY1i4aaOu2Eq

and from NewsActive3. a nearly full newscast from this era:

• Like 1

I'd actually never heard the image song before, but I do believe at least parts of Pride Inside, and possibly the news package, were for CHCH. (I'm probably wrong on the whole package idea.)

It debuted at least in 1988 (they had

in February and
). We'd need an open from late 1988 to compare because in 1989 both CHCH and WBAL were using the main news package.

I believe the WBAL promo song goes back to 1986, or possibly even 1985?