Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Tease, open and story for KNTV in 1984:

Great that someone finally uploaded video of the open that's on NMSA. (Coincidentally, the NMSA audio clip was captured and contributed by me - I just never uploaded video to YT, due to being worried about copyright strikes myself. But I do still have the VHS with that news open on it.)

That noon open is an unholy marriage of eras. The production music in the tease is in the NMSA actually, as "WBNS 1994".

I've been trying to track down that music used by WBNS from 1993-96. Must be production music. WBNS used the crap out of it in the mid '90s for opens/closes/promos.

I've been trying to track down that music used by WBNS from 1993-96. Must be production music. WBNS used the crap out of it in the mid '90s for opens/closes/promos.

Here's a hint of it.. Lets call it the 'All you need' package

Here's a hint of it.. Lets call it the 'All you need' package

All You Need I think corresponds to the "1991" theme. "1994" is something a little different, and quite obviously it's a production track. (The open from that era could be approximated by overlaying the NMSA sample on the open.)

That video is fun, too. Note the "24 Hour" animation with a placeholder still featuring Julius Hunter of KMOV!

All You Need I think corresponds to the "1991" theme. "1994" is something a little different, and quite obviously it's a production track. (The open from that era could be approximated by overlaying the NMSA sample on the open.)

That video is fun, too. Note the "24 Hour" animation with a placeholder still featuring Julius Hunter of KMOV!

I was under the impression that the music was the CBS affiliates package for the one you described....

The open from that era could be approximated by overlaying the NMSA sample on the open.

Doing just that yields a pretty close match, so I definitely agree that it's the 1991 theme. The melody even seems to spell out "10 T-V, all you need". That makes me wonder if it did, in fact, debut in 1990. (That would certainly give the 1989/1990 theme - the two unknowns there are probably one and the same package - an awfully short run...)

Stumbled across this WXIA 11 Alive Newsroom from June 21, 1981 (the day Wayne Williams was arrested for the Atlanta child murders)

Anyone know what the opening theme is? Doesn't sound like Hello News (listed as first being used on 11 Alive in 1980)

NMSA is incorrect - WXIA actually started using Hello News in 1982, not 1980. This is the "New Standard and Tradition" theme that was introduced with the affiliation swap in September 1980. (It's possibly by Peters Productions, though that's just a wild guess because they did the previous couple WXIA themes, and because the close had a sung jingle at the end.)

I've had audio of the close for many years, but NMSA has never added it (even when this open surfaced a couple years back).

• Like 6

NMSA is incorrect - WXIA actually started using Hello News in 1982, not 1980. This is the "New Standard and Tradition" theme that was introduced with the affiliation swap in September 1980. (It's possibly by Peters Productions, though that's just a wild guess because they did the previous couple WXIA themes, and because the close had a sung jingle at the end.)

I've had audio of the close for many years, but NMSA has never added it (even when this open surfaced a couple years back).

Maybe NMSA can fix it?

I've tried before, it's one of those situations where my info was just ignored.

It can take years for the NMSA to fix certain sorts of mistakes. Case in point: the CBS 1988 affiliate package.

• Like 1

Also, we take you back to 1989 where WYFF-TV in Greenville, SC was covering the events of today the day before Hurricane Hugo ravaged the area. This newscast was recorded months before "NewsCenter 4" became "News 4".

And WYFF has been News 4 ever since (or to put it more properly, WYFF News 4).

We take you back to 1982 where WSOC-TV brings you the "Eyewitness News Hour" with Bill Walker and Doreen Gentzler. You can view the news open from that era at :42 into the video and features an unknown news theme.

The entry form submitted by WSOC-TV for entry into the Peabody Awards state:

"We are submitting this particular program as an example of coverage of spot news and national news on a local level. The spot news developed during the run of the program: a toxic chemical fire had started across the street from the television station shortly prior to the start of the newscast. As the fire and the newscast progressed, a cloud of toxic fumes wafted over the station building, causing breathing problems for the population in the area. The local disaster officials advised evacuating the building, and we decided to move the television newscast outside the building where we could follow the progress of the fire. It is an example of operating under the heavy pressure of an on-going news development. (The entire last half hour of the news is an example of this). We also covered a national story live from our Washington Bureau dealing with the Charlotte-born wife of a Russian dissident. The reporter had established contacts in Russia when we covered Billy Graham's historic journey to the Soviet Union live last spring."

You can view this video at http://quicktime-media.peabody.galib.uga.edu/82055nwt.mov

• Like 2

It can take years for the NMSA to fix certain sorts of mistakes. Case in point: the CBS 1988 affiliate package.

What about adding new campaigns to the page, like WTKR's Discover the Land of the 3? I submitted mines in, but they didn't bother, instead adding WAFF's We're Your Kind of People, and ignoring my addition. Come on, I've been waiting for a while. Will they just add it?

What about adding new campaigns to the page, like WTKR's Discover the Land of the 3? I submitted mines in, but they didn't bother, instead adding WAFF's We're Your Kind of People, and ignoring my addition. Come on, I've been waiting for a while. Will they just add it?

I was the one with Your Kind of People.

Years ago the NewsActive3 collection had the 1983 "First News" (5pm?) open. When it resurfaced in March 2013, I recorded it onto an MP3, which I promptly sent to the NMSA in March 2013.

Nothing happened.

I sent it again on April 2. This time, it sailed through, as it included the image package that had surfaced on YT. There's also now a second sung image song known and a second open cut (for their 10pm shows), but those are not in the NMSA.

I have plenty of long-running problems with the NMSA. Composer IDs not posted (the WCPO 1986 theme from Jay Gilbert Productions, or the WHTM and WISC themes by Sheldon Elias). Missing themes (KGMB 1997). Failure to acknowledge image campaigns (We're Going Where You're Going aka KPNX 1985/86).

But I continue to submit what I find, and that's been pivotal.

• Like 1

Wow, I've never heard that cut before!

Speaking of Chattanooga...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4TtpYd7Hh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLLZy3161E0

The first clip is from 1976. There's a close with Autobahn. The second is from December 1980 (not sure why there's WDEF stuff on WRCB's channel, but the bulk of it is WRCB) and uses the NBC Nightly News theme of the era. The backdrops behind the anchors look kinda like the Hayes two-tone city skylines (see KTVY, KMOL and even WDBB) and I wonder if they had a Hayes open.

There are many more WRCB clips from the 1970s to the present, pretty much covering all their modern history.

And speaking of speaking of Chattanooga, an unknown doth surface from WDEF - "Looking Out For The Tennessee Valley".

This must have been their last refresh before going to Signature and ditching the NewsCenter 12 branding the next year. That makes 4 (that we know of) in 5 years (1986-1991) for them...

Y'all remember the tabloid TV guilty pleasure Hard Copy, right?

Well, when the show ended in 1999, they went out in style by putting together a "farewell tape":

(Here's hoping we see any Entertainment Tonight Christmas tapes from the Mary Hart/John Tesh/Bob Goen/Mark Steines era...)