Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

I recently came across a rare piece of video uploaded by luis maria lopez on YouTube. The video is of a demo reel done by the uploader of this video from 1985 to 1987. If you go to :58 into the video, you'll witness what may very well be a KTVW news open from around that period. The theme heard was also used on WLOX, WWLP and even WTRF.

• Like 1

That is most definitely the open.

In fact, look at 0:49. He lists himself as producing and editing — the "Local News Open" (Apertura del Noticiero Local — that is the first item), channel promotions and an Arizona gubernatorial debate.

It's a really cool open too. The helicopter roll at 1:08 transitions into images of Tucson, which I want to point out as it may not be immediately noticeable to someone from out of state. KTVW signed on with a translator in Tucson (still has one) and since then Arizona has always had statewide Spanish-language newscasts.

Some of those nature aerial shots look like images KOOL/KTSP used in their early- and mid-80s opens.

At 13:30 is a station profile that might also be of interest.

You've made my night! When I saw the KLUZ stuff I really was thinking "I wish we had more old KTVW". And now we do!

As for the theme, the earliest I know of it being used was WANE in 1987. The open is probably from 1986.

——————

Not nearly as spectacular, but something never seen before, and unfortunately our uploader needs a capture card. WTRF in 1991 with those 80s stock animations, the CBS 1989 affiliate package, and the newscast title of "The News":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sZFbL1DMso

This 40th anniversary show also has a snippet of their mid-80s open at about 20:20 in:

KLUZ (!!) news promos from 1993. "When you need to know, you can trust Noticias 41":

The channel has additional promos as well as a full 2002 newscast.

For those curious, here's some of their promos:

1994:

1995:

1996:

I've heard from the uploader that KLUZ was once owned by Univision before being sold to Entravision in around 1998 or 1999. This explains why KLUZ had the Univision O&O opening graphics from the late 90s, early 2000s.

Bunch of 80s KRON stuff here via Jim Paymar....Magid red white and blue in all its glory

https://archive.org/details/jimpaymartelevisionarchive

1986 6pm open / parts of newscast

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=480;id=Paymar_chsugar_8609dd;width=640[/MEDIA]

1984 newscast

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=480;id=paymar_withroz_1984;width=640[/MEDIA]

1987 6pm newscast Golden Gate Bridge special

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=480;id=paymar_ggbridge50thanniversary_870722;width=640[/MEDIA]

1986 shots of the newsroom

[MEDIA=internetarchive]height=480;id=paymar_libertyliveshots2;width=640[/MEDIA]

Another newscast from WAVY-TV's archive; this time from October 4, 1983

Okay, hearing the bumper/close music in the clear proves to me that WAVY 1982 = Tuesday2. As if KGTV just so happening to use it at the same time wasn't enough evidence...

I just remember I had this... I pulled it from an old Harborfest newscast WAVY had on their website a few years ago. This is a longer sample of the bumper theme that sounds like "Tuesday2" (it probably is)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff0b2abp4xcu937/wavy%201982%20theme.mp3?dl=0

back from the dead, thru my saved video collection from the old last network's account, in time of the 75th anniversary of broadcast television as we know it by july 1, it's WCBS' 50th anniversary special in 1991 entitled 'Here's 2 You' hosted by Jim Jensen and Michele Marsh. Seen in four parts. I'll also be uploading saved channel 2 newscasts from another nonexistent account so stay tuned.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

• Like 1

WCBS-TV 12:00 NEWS 1-12-93 Brian Williams, Dana Tyler

WCBS-TV 6:00 NEWS 3-16-93 Jim Jensen, Michele Marsh

WCBS-TV 12:00 NEWS 11-9-93 Carol Martin, Michelle Marsh

WCBS-TV 12:00 NEWS 11-17-93 Carol Martin, Michelle Marsh

WCBS-TV 12:00 NEWS 12-1-93 Carol Martin, Michele Marsh

BTW, did anyone saved the old RB1330's account before its vanish and would probably upload to their own account or dm me and ill upload if it would be okay and appreciated?

• Like 1

From SkittlesMan's channel; here WTKR's September 12, 1986 News 3 at Noon (I think Glenn {Corillo} Corey and Ann Keffer were noon anchors at some point in their tenure at 'TKR). This might be the earliest clip I've seen their "Discover the Land of the 3" theme used (different, more synth-heavy cut than the version in the 1989 newscast I uploaded a while back)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrASY7XMyr8

The video is gone, does anyone still have it?

SUPER RARE 1997-98 Birmingham, AL Video!!

See the radical transition from WBMG 42 to WIAT 42 Daily News, which included blowing up all newscasts/branding. The video shows everything from how much viewers hated the old station, to the transitional countdown clock that ran in place of newscasts, to the new launch of WIAT Daily News... It may be worth someone "saving" this video in case it's ever unavailable.

Plus, here's a story from April 1998 from the American Journalism Review. http://ajrarchive.org/Article.asp?id=2317

• Like 6