Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Interesting to see how this was "adapted" in the immediate aftermath of the NBC switch.

The graphics, MTV-esque tilted camera angles and extreme close-ups do seem out of place for a "Big Three" affiliate newscast, though. Then again, even though it was a Fox affiliate when the station launched its news department in 1993, they seemed to be trying hard to make their newscasts appeal to the younger demographic that Fox was attracting. How long after it joined NBC did KSHB shift to a more traditionalized news production style?

• Like 5

I have a longer cut but don't know who composed it:

(That clip also shows the absolute final months of CBS TeleNoticias — the Brazil version — using the CBS special presentation music!)

The last part of the music (presumably production music) that was used in the first part of the clip was also used as station ID music for KTVI in 1998.

• Like 1

KIFI bloopers from the 90s. In the second half of the video you can see a close theme:

KIFI had a heavily modified TVbD package, it seems. I wish there was a full open. Sounds like a Gari theme, maybe News Watch? The close seems out of place.

I feel 95% certain it's News Watch based on the bit at 13:47 - it lines up perfectly with this from NMN (though they label it as News Station, the signature lines up with News Watch).

As for the graphics, TVbD's list on their site did list KIFI around the same timeframe as that zombie KOTA package...

• Like 1

I feel 95% certain it's News Watch based on the bit at 13:47 - it lines up perfectly with this from NMN (though they label it as News Station, the signature lines up with News Watch).

As for the graphics, TVbD's list on their site did list KIFI around the same timeframe as that zombie KOTA package...

Yes, and the "Idaho 8" package appeared in their 1990 demo. It looks like KIFI added quite a few new elements and modifications.

It gets better, too... WHO...in 1974! There are also KCCI fragments, a couple of fragments, and home video.

• Like 1

In two parts, here's a complete WGN Chicago late night newscast from 1965. Anchor Len Johnson fills in for Carl Greyson on this night. From the video's description...

(...) An edition of Len Johnson and the News on WGN Channel 9 from 1965! This was a forerunner to their overnight Night Beat newscast that ran from the late-sixties well into the 1980s.

You'll notice that this was during that awkward transition phase from black-and-white to color with most of the broadcast appearing in black-and-white, but then interspersed by random color commercials and a few color slides.

This came from an original 2" quad tape recording that likely hadn't been played since the day it was recorded. It came from the estate of Len Johnson, whose wife gave it to a family friend after Len passed away. That friend, Kevin McCarthy, held on to it for a number of years but always wondered what was on the unmarked, unlabeled videotape.

• Like 6

WXOW clips from 1988. The theme was used by KTVQ beginning late in 1988 as well:

I'm beginning to think KTVQ 1990 and WBAY 1989 are one theme.

There's also this clip, which is noteworthy. Can you identify the theme? (I know what it is.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=G2rRiXSrazw;m=20;s=42 WXIA 11 Alive Morning News Promo 1996, during Olympics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=sbzNxFQbnkA;m=32;s=4 WXIA 11 Alive News at 5:00 Promo, Anchored by Kimberley Kennedy and Angela Robinson (Both of whom now work at WGCL CBS 46 as Just a Minute Contributors), Also a 11 alive Olympic update anchored by 5 p.m. anchor Kimberley Kennedy

Okay, hearing the bumper/close music in the clear proves to me that WAVY 1982 = Tuesday2. As if KGTV just so happening to use it at the same time wasn't enough evidence...

The bumpers/close are definitely Tuesday2 (apparently there were some cuts different from the NMSA copy); but not 100% certain one way or the other with the intro.

Another long contribution, and that's because this is a 40th anniversary special produced by KLAS in 1993:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq9dXfJaRaE

The history of the station under Howard Hughes is fascinating and so are the anecdotes.

From a presentation standpoint, there isn't a lot, unfortunately:

At 35:15 there are several morning news opens (covered up by narration unfortunately). Both have themes I've never heard. One is from a generation of opens I've never seen and is from 1989.

You can also see at 30:20 some clips of KLAS in the (late?) 70s as "Newscenter 8" with a wild, vertically slanted OCR-font 8! At 33:15 is a clip of a different, virtual (almost Newsmat-esque) set that was used in the early 80s with the same name and logo.

Another long contribution, and that's because this is a 40th anniversary special produced by KLAS in 1993:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq9dXfJaRaE

The history of the station under Howard Hughes is fascinating and so are the anecdotes.

From a presentation standpoint, there isn't a lot, unfortunately:

At 35:15 there are several morning news opens (covered up by narration unfortunately). Both have themes I've never heard. One is from a generation of opens I've never seen and is from 1989.

You can also see at 30:20 some clips of KLAS in the (late?) 70s as "Newscenter 8" with a wild, vertically slanted OCR-font 8! At 33:15 is a clip of a different, virtual (almost Newsmat-esque) set that was used in the early 80s with the same name and logo.

At 34:47, a news open voiced by Charlie Tuna! Odd seeing that right after I heard of his passing.