Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

A video and pictorial history of WTVQ-36, formerly WBLG-62 in Lexington, KY. Many people have been a part of the Channel 36 history and this video pays tribute to those that have been a part.

Removing 62 transmitter and installing the ch. 36 transmitter

Ice Storm 2003

Analog cutoff.

Noticed WAVY-TV's YouTube page has its own archive section (most of the footage so far has been raw Chopper 10 shots from the first few years that was used); but I did see a couple of specials they did also included.

1992 WAVY Special (Under the Gun: Violence in Hampton Roads)

1994 WAVY Special (Stopping the Violence)

Noticed WAVY-TV's YouTube page has its own archive section (most of the footage so far has been raw Chopper 10 shots from the first few years that was used); but I did see a couple of specials they did also included.

WAVY has an incredibly extensive archive. During their 50th anniversary in 2007, they posted a 30-minute special from 1989 about the history of the station and move to their new building on their website.

Here are two newscasts from 1998... 11pm from January and 5pm from March (before and after the set change on Super Bowl Sunday)

Another WAVY one from August 18, 1989 (shortly before WAVY dropped the Gold 10 for the current logo)

Noticed around the 2:20 mark that the Chyron under Leanne Rains' name read "WAVY News 10"; so it looks like the station was phasing out the Daily News branding around this time (still used the Daily News in the intro)

Noticed around the 2:20 mark that the Chyron under Leanne Rains' name read "WAVY News 10"; so it looks like the station was phasing out the Daily News branding around this time (still used the Daily News in the intro)

It's verbally mentioned as "WAVY News 10" too.

From the aforementioned 1989 special, they had the new logo on the building when they moved into it in April of that year. They didn't start using it on-air until September.

The mystery that is KREM continues...yet another unknown theme from them has surfaced, this time from late 1990.

If I had to hazard a guess at a timeline, I'd say this may have been picked up in '89 when Eric Johnson left, and was probably dropped for PNP in 1991 (it seems to go with a newsbreak theme I posted quite some time ago, and which was definitely used into '91).

• Like 1

Here's what might be the earliest clip with the current WAVY logo I've found; a spot for a First News at 5:00 story titled "Lights, Camera, Hampton Roads" that aired following a 15th anniversary celebration of SNL (most of which was taped over; this was another "end of the tape" clip)

KING in 1997:

From the same channel... KOMO weather promo from 1997:

Anyone know what the production music track in that is called? I want to say it's Firstcom or Network Music; I found it online a while back, but the name slips my mind. I remember WAVY using the longer version of it on their midday news as a headline bed years ago.

• Like 1

They were singing "That's what we're Four"; and I'd be stunned if that wasn't Klein& (stunned, I tell you).

It's not Klein &. It's TM Productions. It was originally from a radio package called "You II" (a sequel to the "You" campaign done for 93 KHJ).

But there's a reason it sounds like Klein &. Both You and You II were written not by TM's staff composers in Dallas, but by L.A. composer Dick Hamilton - who also wrote/arranged the music for some of the Klein & campaigns (e.g., 3 for All, Call It Home, some iterations of The One & Only). The stuff he did for TM was also recorded in L.A., with the same studio musicians and singers as on the Klein & stuff. (However, this particular version for WIVB was sung by TM's regular vocal group in Dallas.)

From the same channel... KOMO weather promo from 1997:

Anyone know what the production music track in that is called? I want to say it's Firstcom or Network Music; I found it online a while back, but the name slips my mind. I remember WAVY using the longer version of it on their midday news as a headline bed years ago.

I have a longer cut but don't know who composed it:

(That clip also shows the absolute final months of CBS TeleNoticias — the Brazil version — using the CBS special presentation music!)

• Like 2

Yup, that's it. It might be Megatrax. I've gotta dig deeper...

You're definitely looking in the right places. I know WAVY has used Megatrax throughout much of the 2000's and assume it's their current production music. Before that was Firstcom. Preceding Firstcom I believe they used Network.

It's not Klein &. It's TM Productions. It was originally from a radio package called "You II" (a sequel to the "You" campaign done for 93 KHJ).

But there's a reason it sounds like Klein &. Both You and You II were written not by TM's staff composers in Dallas, but by L.A. composer Dick Hamilton - who also wrote/arranged the music for some of the Klein & campaigns (e.g., 3 for All, Call It Home, some iterations of The One & Only). The stuff he did for TM was also recorded in L.A., with the same studio musicians and singers as on the Klein & stuff. (However, this particular version for WIVB was sung by TM's regular vocal group in Dallas.)

Which may actually go a little further back.....

In the final years of ownership by the Buffalo Evening News (the Butler Family; WBEN AM-FM-TV), WBEN AM used the original 'YOU" package and may well have gotten "You II" for Channel 4 as an extra, which was retained when 'BEN TV became 'IVB.

Fun Fact: The Butler Family sold the News to Warren Buffett/Berkshire Hathaway and the reason the 'BEN stations were sold off, Berkshire had a significant position in a pre-ABC Capital Cities (The WKBW stations).

I have a longer cut but don't know who composed it:

You're definitely looking in the right places. I know WAVY has used Megatrax throughout much of the 2000's and assume it's their current production music. Before that was Firstcom. Preceding Firstcom I believe they used Network.

To me the production track sounds like it has that "90s FirstCom" vibe, particularly with the string instrumentation.

Found it... I was fairly certain it was Firstcom. It's called "Going Global" in their PowerPlay archive.

• Like 2