Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Maybe not in the close, but that ID at the very beginning sounds like what WLS uses in the morning...

It appears that Gari gave them a more synthesized (custom) version of the ID. In the EWN series I pack, the remixed version isn't there, but there are 3 cuts of the theme that Gari renamed as "News Magazine" when he retitled all of his themes in their current packages. Outside of the O&O's and some their past unique customs, there is a 16 second open (WLS morning talent), 30 second bumper and 60 close for general syndication. The first 30 seconds of the 60 close reminds me of the old 80's HBO movie opens. Anyway, back on subject... I assume POP-TV continues to use the close without it being looped like WLS does.

I threw a low quality copy of it in my dropbox... the link is in my sig.

From SkittlesMan's channel; here WTKR's September 12, 1986 News 3 at Noon (I think Glenn {Corillo} Corey and Ann Keffer were noon anchors at some point in their tenure at 'TKR). This might be the earliest clip I've seen their "Discover the Land of the 3" theme used (different, more synth-heavy cut than the version in the 1989 newscast I uploaded a while back)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrASY7XMyr8

Jacky's got loads of new material, but perhaps the most intriguing is KSN from the late 90s:

The package is News Station from Gari.

There's also KRDO from 1987. The theme sounds like something KTXL had used earlier in the 80s:

Also, KSHB with Third Coast... in 1996!?

Clips from WRIC and WWBT.

WRIC "8 News at Noon" open from 1994 (Advantage; I think the user SkittlesMan meant 1995)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpaLuJqen-o

WRIC "Good Morning Richmond" open from 1995 (Advantage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFaYxPPLYiI

WWBT "12 News at 11" open from 1994 (Signature)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_VLbPZL5IM

WTVR NewsChannel 6 This Morning open from 1993 (WSLS 1992 theme)

WTVR NewsChannel 6 Nightbeat open from 1993 (WSLS 1992 theme)

WTVR NewsChannel 6 at 6 open from 1993 (WSLS 1992 theme)

WRIC TV 8 News at Noon early 1990s

[...] KSN from the late 90s: [...] The package is News Station from Gari.

Well, except for the cut from News Now that shows up way ahead of schedule for the topical...

There's also KRDO from 1987. The theme sounds like something KTXL had used earlier in the 80s:

Definitely the same (WRAL 1982). Do we even know anything about this theme? It almost has a vague VTS feel to me, but I forget if anybody's ever explicitly mentioned anything about it.

KEYC's 6pm news in 1988. This is a previously unknown cut of the Peters custom package they were using at this time:

Speaking of which, here are some elements of the package:

There's more vintage footage, including their 10pm open from the News Series 2001 era: