Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Part of a 1992 newscast from WOWL-TV, which was the 'other' NBC affiliate in the Huntsville, AL market at the time. Today's it's CW affiliate WHDF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWMvUnYZS-k

Their theme at the time seems to be the Toby Arnold KPRC theme.

KRTV weather and close, 1996:

(the close theme: Newsleader!!)

KTGF in January 1992:

(another unknown theme, probably a production track)

From NewsActive3's channel:

8-29-1986 KGO NewScene 7 (Van Amburg's final newscast):

Very bizarre newscast.....

It's almost as if Van has no friends. He has to solo on his final cast? I guess that was supposed to be a very low key event.

Did KGO exploit the thing to death in the lead-up to Van's departure?

We don't even get to wx until 32:00. By today's standards, that cast was a sleeper.

Plenty of long pkgs, and I love the "reader" on how newscasters are trusted in most peoples minds.

Back then there was no "Sky-7".....Just "The helicopter".

Amazing to see after 29 years.

Yeah and Pete Wilson handing it off to him at the end is also ironic.

I'm the one who dug up this tape over 15 years ago.

Found it in the archives of KPIX - the CBS affiliate 2 blocks away.

There was no fanfare or exploitation about his departure.

Some back story...

His brother was the GM at KABC for many years. When Cap Cities bought ABC in 1985 they were both in the line of fire and left their respective jobs within a year of each other.

Cap Cities thought Van was overpaid, KPIX had overtaken them in the ratings, and they gambled the station would move forward with 'cheaper' talent (like Pete Wilson). Van was reportedly making over $1 million a year then (equivalent to $2-$3 million today).

Van didn't back down and did well enough with investments that he didn't have to work.

He probably entertained other offers but his retirement was a bellwether for the news industry changing. In the 70s he was the first anchor to bet a station wouldn't blink at an astronomical salary and he got it. Then 10 years later Cap Cities was the first big management team to bet that a star like that wasn't needed.

The end result was this unceremonious but I will say dignified sign off. And he's been happily retired since. A great broadcaster - and a smart, reputable man.

His son is a high level Hollywood executive now, so the talent runs in the family.

From NewsActive3's channel:

8-29-1986 KGO NewScene 7 (Van Amburg's final newscast):

Very bizarre newscast.....

It's almost as if Van has no friends. He has to solo on his final cast? I guess that was supposed to be a very low key event.

Did KGO exploit the thing to death in the lead-up to Van's departure?

We don't even get to wx until 32:00. By today's standards, that cast was a sleeper.

Plenty of long pkgs, and I love the "reader" on how newscasters are trusted in most peoples minds.

Back then there was no "Sky-7".....Just "The helicopter".

Amazing to see after 29 years.