Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Put up a bunch of commercials from December 1991 from WTKR

First, a 1991 WTKR tease for their News 3 at 11:00 (lead story being tied to the acquittal of William Kennedy Smith in his sexual assault trial)

Same newscast, but with soon-to-depart sports anchor Bob Rathbun teasing a story on trades at Major League Baseball's Winter Meetings (a comment from a Raymie Humbert suggests some Television by Design influence in the graphics)

Same newscast, but with soon-to-depart sports anchor Bob Rathbun teasing a story on trades at Major League Baseball's Winter Meetings (a comment from a Raymie Humbert suggests some Television by Design influence in the graphics)

I wonder who did WTKR's graphics from that era...

Looks similar to WSAZ around the same time with the map

That's me! Yeah, look at the KCTV/KPNX package for instance from 1990, or WTLV 1989 — someone was looking at TVbD and replicating it for sure.

On the other hand, the 3D map is definitely from the WRGB/WBTV/WSAZ mold but not by the same people.

A chunk of WOWT, 1984: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy4r-YEpUy4

WRCB, 1997:

Not exactly a video, but it should be appreciated. This has to be one of my favorite photos of recent years.

This photo dates from 1977, and was taken in Tempe, Arizona. It's in here because of the wonderful KTAR "12 Alive / Action News" banner, but I love it even more because it shows ASU's Manzanita Hall (probably one of our more recognizable buildings — it's a 60s gem!).

The Magid influence that Combined loved so is visible even in black and white. I'm sure those are red-white-blue stripes. I think that's Vince Leonard and Kent Dana?

University_Drive_Rural_Road_looking_west_1977.jpg

Speaking of KPNX: 10 p.m. news, 1985: (Did KPNX regularly use cold opens at the time?)

The close is the second example I've seen from December '85 with We're Going Where You're Going as the close bed. What's interesting is that this particular cut did not seem to survive the 1986 relaunch!

As to the cold open... How long had Kirkpatrick been at KPNX? Had a new open even been made with her in it?

, but that had Linda Alvarez in it.

And speaking of Phoenix, I found that the Duke OAAA collection is much larger than it was the last time I saw it online. Lots of late 60s material, and it is very heavily Phoenix (though there are isolated examples from different markets).

- This video contains the first few minutes of "57 Mountain News" from January 22, 1986. The anchors seen at the beginning are Steve Crabtree (news), Karen Parks (weather) and Gary Johnson (sports). Also seen toward the end of this video is Suzanne McGaha (reporter).

I was just about to throw that in. It's absolutely wonderful and shows the way WYMT looked right after relaunching. All indications are that Phil Copeland composed this theme and its matching WKYT package.

———

KTBS 6pm and 10pm, 1988: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq6SR1SbxVU

This confirms that in the 80s KTBS was using three separate themes for 5, 6 and 10pm. I wonder if the 6pm theme, like the 5pm and 10pm themes, is from a musical or film?

Also, WBTV 1992 (morning): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uDu81azLME — can't say I've heard that cut of Signature

As to the cold open... How long had Kirkpatrick been at KPNX? Had a new open even been made with her in it?

, but that had Linda Alvarez in it.

I think you're right: If the 1986 look was already in the works at the time (and the close seems to suggests that it was), it's entirely possible that they waited for its launch before adding Kirkpatrick to the open. Do we know when the 1986 look premiered?

WLS, Chicago; news promo, 1981:

I think you're right: If the 1986 look was already in the works at the time (and the close seems to suggests that it was), it's entirely possible that they waited for its launch before adding Kirkpatrick to the open. Do we know when the 1986 look premiered?

What's odd is that WGWYG was for sure introduced in late 1985 (which surprised me when I saw the other newscast). There are two versions of even the promo: one ends "

" and the other "
" with the open animation. Also note that the Bill Austin clip in the promo is the same one used in his intro. One commenter on YT says "early 1986" which sounds right.

Interesting. The bumper at about 7:00 is another cut of the 1986 theme (more specifically its close), but there's the production music theme again! It makes a lot more sense that it's production music now—it had to be a pretty cheap library if TVN of the late 80s (which was cheap overall!) was using it. They seem to have only used it for opens when they didn't have a talent open.

Interesting. The bumper at about 7:00 is another cut of the 1986 theme (more specifically its close), but there's the production music theme again! It makes a lot more sense that it's production music now—it had to be a pretty cheap library if TVN of the late 80s (which was cheap overall!) was using it. They seem to have only used it for opens when they didn't have a talent open.

I'm trying to figure out the chronology here... I assumed that the production music was replaced sometime in 1987 when KTVK adopted the "Arizona's News People" sung jingle (which was based on

image campaign),but are you saying that ANP and the related theme had already been in use in 1986, before the clip above was recorded? That's what NMSA says, but I thought they got their years switched.

The clip above also has a different announcer than the ANP opens.

It is production, it's a KPM track. I forget the name of it, but I did find it. I just haven't gotten around to submitting the info to NMSA.

Thanks. I knew it was production as soon as I heard it in use in Chile.

I've found it myself. It's called "Network" on the same disc as 20th Century Revolution — I won't submit it, though, out of deference to you. The CD it's on is from 1984.