Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Is there any video that's on the web or people have in their collections from WCBS in 1992? It seems like there is every era of IDs, graphics, full or partial newscasts, promos and opens to every newscast except for the said year. I've mentioned in the past that was an underrated look both the graphics/theme music. And it lasted for less than a year. They started using the theme like in February and it seemed by early January the theme, the 8 year old set and graphics went into the dumpster at the W 57th building. I'd love to see more of it.

That reminds me of how there is absolutely no footage out there of the theme KCBS used in 1987-88*, after the "parallelogram logo/L.A. CGI flyover" and electronic theme (latest known video: January 1987) and before "Action 2 News" and the "I Love Chicago"-based VTS package (earliest known video: December 1988).

Sure, NMSA has a ton of audio of it, but I still have no idea what the accompanying graphics/set/anything looked like. In the EIGHT years I've browsed YouTube, I've never found any news footage from KCBS between Jan. '87-Dec. '88. Why such a huge gap?

*NMSA says it went from 1986-88, but all clips I've ever seen from 1986 and into Jan. '87 have the previous theme/look, making me think it actually started some time in '87.

where was that set? I thought they had the newsroom? I think that time they had the SBS blue colored paint/decal for the newsroom. Apparently CNBC wasn't the first to introduce such dark and depressing newsplex color schemes.

If I remember correctly, WMAQ used this set for the 10 p.m. news and the newsroom set for all other newscasts. (In other words, I don't think there was a daytime version of the skyline set.)

EDIT: On second thought, there may have been a daytime version of the skyline set as well. Can anyone confirm?

If I remember correctly, WMAQ used this set for the 10 p.m. news and the newsroom set for all other newscasts. (In other words, I don't think there was a daytime version of the skyline set.)

EDIT: On second thought, there may have been a daytime version of the skyline set as well. Can anyone confirm?

I seem to recall years ago a website that had photos of the minutes leading up to Ron Magers & Carol Marin's on-air resignation. Iirc, in one of the photos, was a shot into the newsroom with one of cityscape panels in place.

It seemed to me they might be hidden in the half wall the separated the desk from the newsroom, or could be installed or un-installed between shows.

I also recall at one point seeing the video of the on-air resignation at the end of the 10pm and the newsroom was open (and at the point they signed off - for good - people in the newsroom began clapping.

I seem to recall years ago a website that had photos of the minutes leading up to Ron Magers & Carol Marin's on-air resignation. Iirc, in one of the photos, was a shot into the newsroom with one of cityscape panels in place.

It seemed to me they might be hidden in the half wall the separated the desk from the newsroom, or could be installed or un-installed between shows.

I also recall at one point seeing the video of the on-air resignation at the end of the 10pm and the newsroom was open (and at the point they signed off - for good - people in the newsroom began clapping.

I remember that clip being posted on YouTube actually.

Their newsroom has been modified significantly (and probably remodeled) over the years. While the newsroom is 25 years old, the newsroom prior to the studio change, looked pretty current.

That reminds me of how there is absolutely no footage out there of the theme KCBS used in 1987-88*, after the "parallelogram logo/L.A. CGI flyover" and electronic theme (latest known video: January 1987) and before "Action 2 News" and the "I Love Chicago"-based VTS package (earliest known video: December 1988).

Sure, NMSA has a ton of audio of it, but I still have no idea what the accompanying graphics/set/anything looked like. In the EIGHT years I've browsed YouTube, I've never found any news footage from KCBS between Jan. '87-Dec. '88. Why such a huge gap?

*NMSA says it went from 1986-88, but all clips I've ever seen from 1986 and into Jan. '87 have the previous theme/look, making me think it actually started some time in '87.

KCBS was a cursed station, they kept redoing the newscast in the 80s. They seemed to settle down by 1990 or whatever the time they used the WTEN/KCBS theme.

Jim Kirk of Corporate Magic has uploaded a clean version of the WFAA 1987 news intro using TM's "Spirit of Texas" news music package. And, you can also check out more of his videos containing mostly elements from corporate events and a demo.

AHHHHH!!!!!! Cant help but get goosebumps hearing this clean cut. :-)

Jim Kirk of Corporate Magic has uploaded a clean version of the WFAA 1987 news intro using TM's "Spirit of Texas" news music package. And, you can also check out more of his videos containing mostly elements from corporate events and a demo.

So whats the connection to TM Productions* then? I thought they were the composers of The Spirit (of) package.

*EDIT: They are out of business, I thought they were still around.

Jim Kirk composed the Spirit of Texas music for TM. While the BMI entry only says "Additional Nom-BMI Publishers", I know that the copyright registration is to Kirk himself - no mention of TM.

Kirk worked with TM, at some points in time I think he was actually employed by TM, but at other times he was freelance/independent. (The WWL 1984 theme, from the info I obtained when ASCAP still had a listing for it, seemed to be Kirk by himself - no mention of TM. Though now that the original package it was based on is confirmed to be TM, I wonder if maybe the '84 package was still done by Kirk for TM. I should ask...)

TM Productions does technically still exist. They merged with Century 21 Programming in 1990 to become TM Century. Then Jones bought TM Century and they became Jones TM. Then when Jones was itself bought, they became TM Studios.

Jim Kirk composed the Spirit of Texas music for TM. While the BMI entry only says "Additional Nom-BMI Publishers", I know that the copyright registration is to Kirk himself - no mention of TM.

Kirk worked with TM, at some points in time I think he was actually employed by TM, but at other times he was freelance/independent. (The WWL 1984 theme, from the info I obtained when ASCAP still had a listing for it, seemed to be Kirk by himself - no mention of TM. Though now that the original package it was based on is confirmed to be TM, I wonder if maybe the '84 package was still done by Kirk for TM. I should ask...)

Did he own the rights and TM just was the marketing agent?

I'm not sure of the specifics. TM did the music production, TM put together the promotional campaign (it was more than just music, if you can recall), TM syndicated it. And WFAA still has the trademark on "The Spirit of Texas" for TV promotion use.

But Kirk may well still own the underlying musical composition - he was co-credited on the copyright registration for the KATU "Spirit" theme. Again, good thing for me to ask him.

I'm not sure of the specifics. TM did the music production, TM put together the promotional campaign (it was more than just music, if you can recall), TM syndicated it. And WFAA still has the trademark on "The Spirit of Texas" for TV promotion use.

But Kirk may well still own the underlying musical composition - he was co-credited on the copyright registration for the KATU "Spirit" theme. Again, good thing for me to ask him.

I associated it as TM, but regardless I'm ripping the audio to expand my Spirit of Texas playlist! :)

WFLD, Chicago; morning news ("Fox Thing in the Morning," a tongue-in-cheek jibe at WMAQ's "First Thing in the Morning"), 1999:

(Part 2 is missing.)

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

WMAQ, Chicago; 10 p.m., 1983:

WOWK 1996 morning news. No idea what the theme is. You can hear the bulk of it around 22:24. Also, at the very end, you can hear an ID:

No idea, though the graphics match then-sister WBNG in animation style.

WREG 1995/96. The VO has changed, the graphics have sorta:

WLII 1986. This seems to be a year-end program. 1986 was a big year for WLII, the year it came on the air in its modern form. Is this its news theme?

WBZ open, 1993:

Never had seen that site, but it has interesting stuff for sure:

Excerpt of KRGV news, 1965: http://www.texasarchive.org/library/index.php?title=Amistad_Dam_-_First_Pouring_of_Concrete_Ceremony_(1965)

KHOU behind the scenes feature c1968: http://www.texasarchive.org/library/index.php?title=Behind_the_Scenes_at_Houston%E2%80%99s_KHOU_-_Channel_11

A history of KDUB (KLBK) Lubbock, 1950s-60s?: http://www.texasarchive.org/library/index.php?title=Dub_Rogers_-_KLBK_Archival_Footage,_no._1_-_KDUB_History — includes a newscast excerpt from 1957 and another from 1962

Another Lubbock film chronicles the rise of KSEL channel 28 (now KAMC): http://www.texasarchive.org/library/index.php?title=Dub_Rogers_-_KLBK_Archival_Footage,_no._2_-_KSEL_Promotional_Spot

There is a lot of KOSA footage. Here's one from 1978: http://www.texasarchive.org/library/index.php?title=2013_01469

KTBC open house/tour, 1960: http://www.texasarchive.org/library/index.php?title=KTBC_Open_House,_Part_1_-_Studio_Tour,_December_1960

KTBC promo film c1969: http://www.texasarchive.org/library/index.php?title=To_Market,_To_Market,_in_Austin_Texas

Had to create a new channel after getting a 2nd copyright strike on my main one; but decided to pick up where I left off with my new HRTVFan2 channel

1995-ish WAVY News 10 Intro:

November 1995 WVEC Promo (13 News Extra; same source as the November 16 ABC World News Now):