Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

The plot thickens. When I listened to the instrumentation of those promos (the horns, the teletype, etc.) I legitimately thought that could be Gari. But the head/tail didn't sound like Gari to me.

The 1982 promo, the editorial intro and the intro and teaser cuts we've heard sound more Gari-esque...but are they? Now I wonder...

It seems there was a sort of refresh of the campaign that took place in 1983/84, which was a more aggressive sound for TSOTB with the "Watch Our Spirit Now" promos.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Possibly when the callsign changed to WXFL?

Also, a new open and theme: KVBC, 1985! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRF1hTEp5Y

And there's

where that came from! And
in full!

WJXT "Eyewitness News" promo extravaganza from the 70's, 80's and 90's with all the faces you know:

http://www.news4jax.com/news/from-the-vault-vintage-promos/27793884

The WJXT 1981 theme has to be from Klein &.

That's excellent. The pre-TVbD WJXT/We'll Take You There stuff is new too.

They also have this mid-60s "Newsnight" promo that is amazing to see.

It seems there was a sort of refresh of the campaign that took place in 1983/84, which was a more aggressive sound for TSOTB with the "Watch Our Spirit Now" promos.

It definitely seems like it, especially with the fact (I believe) that they were in 3rd in ratings behind WTSP at the time. They flipped flopped main anchor pairings 4 times from 1982-1985 (Ratliff/Bates, Hite/Bates, Ratliff/Hite, and then finally Hite/Sierens) and I think they also relegated Meteorologist Jim Smith to mornings for Bob Baron towards 1984 or 1985.

WCBD open from 1989, right before Hurricane Hugo:

And about 38 minutes of footage from the three local Charleston stations and national broadcasts of the day before Hugo. Includes when WCIV and WCSC were forced to sign off locally because of the storm.

If you pay attention to the set and the weather center, you could've mistaken this from being a Gannett station back then. It was a little different then what they used, but if I was around longer back in the 80s, I'd hate Gannett the same way I do today. Their mandated high strung red/white/blue set scheme back the 80s was so over the top.

Belo had owned them for about two years and it seems like there was two different branding/looks being used in tandem. Thought The Spirit was used during this time according to the NMSA. I thought this was kinda crazy, anyone know the answer why?

There were quite a few stations that also used a red/white/blue color scheme to some degree in the '80s. WFLA, owned by Media General, had the color scheme between 1985-1989.

I thought the Gannett look even extended into the Chyron or Vidifont, whatever KHOU was using at that time. Many Gannett stations were using a serif/typewriter like font.

I thought the Gannett look even extended into the Chyron or Vidifont, whatever KHOU was using at that time. Many Gannett stations were using a serif/typewriter like font.

That was more related to CBS syndicating that typeface (used at the network level) to its stations than anything else.

From what I understand (e.g. the Media Probes documentary) the red/white/blue look came from the Frank Magid consultancy firm. But Gannett really did take it and run with it.

Yes Magid was the source of it. And Gannett has a relationship to this day with Magid.

Here's a few things I've found...

WTVR (Richmond, VA) "News90" open from 1977 (with The Who's "Baba O'Riley" as its news theme).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7cZUcwwp1k

WTVR "Nightbeat" open from 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e85316m15sA

KTVI (St. Louis) 5pm news open from 1986.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3DQD6XNH0c

Here's something from WXIA's (Atlanta) pre-11Alive days: A promo and image campaign song from 1974 (including a glimpse of the "Pro News" set)

Here's some rarities from WXEX (now WRIC; the station was located in Petersburg until 1990):

An episode of "PM Magazine" from 1981 hosted by Deborah Kent and future "Today" anchor Matt Lauer.

...and an early 1980's promo featuring their sports team.